Reading List for a Newbie Econ major vol. Suggestions?

Originally Posted by Grizzlyboy

Capitalism_and_Freedom_Fortieth_Anniversary_Edition-119190018577289.jpg

Don't read this crap.

Read these:

Begin with this.

0517548232.jpg

Then this...

HumanActionBook.jpg

Then after you read that, read this...

51Em01CeumL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

And who ever says you need to be "good at math" in order to understand economics is lying.

If you read these books, you will understand how business cycles work and what the real forces and market mechanisms are. Every Austrian economist since Carl Menger predicted EVERY Recession and Depression.

This is relevant to my interests. And I need new reading material. Good thread, OP 
pimp.gif

This is relevant to my interests. And I need new reading material. Good thread, OP 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Nyota de la star

Originally Posted by secretzofwar

I think Sachs over at Harvard putting something out, "The End of Poverty" but of course, it's very ideologically biased.

You should probably read a few text books, then you can start checking out more opinionated stuff and see the bias more clearly. Paul Krugman publishes an excellent beginners micro text and Abel, Kane, Bernanke's Macro book is pretty damn good.

As a soon to be graduate, here are a few tips I have for you:

-Don't succumb to free market zealots, keep an open mind
-Decide whether or not you really love math (the basis of econ now is econometrics)
-Read out of class. Even the best econ courses can't cover everything.

Also, as far as careers go, you have many many options, but private or public, a graduate degree is a must.
happy.gif
Thanks for the advice. May I ask what you're specializing in?

Unless you want to write worthless papers and become a prof, a graduate degree is certainly not a must. 
None of my colleagues have a grad degree in econ. I don't either. Plenty of MBA's and some JD's though.  If some other NT'ers who work in Finance chimed in I figure they'd have a similar story line. 

There are some economist positions that pay well but not enough to warrant a grad degree really. Unless you want to go the academic route but it's so utterly boring and dooms you to a life of 

forever+alone+face.png

I think Sachs over at Harvard putting something out, "The End of Poverty" but of course, it's very ideologically biased.

You should probably read a few text books, then you can start checking out more opinionated stuff and see the bias more clearly. Paul Krugman publishes an excellent beginners micro text and Abel, Kane, Bernanke's Macro book is pretty damn good.

-Decide whether or not you really love math (the basis of econ now is econometrics)

Also, as far as careers go, you have many many options, but private or public, a graduate degree is a must.
happy.gif

Unless you want to write worthless papers and become a prof, a graduate degree is certainly not a must. 
None of my colleagues have a grad degree in econ. I don't either. Plenty of MBA's and some JD's though.  If some other NT'ers who work in Finance chimed in I figure they'd have a similar story line. 

There are some economist positions that pay well but not enough to warrant a grad degree really. Unless you want to go the academic route but it's so utterly boring and dooms you to a life of 

forever+alone+face.png

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

happy.gif

Unfunny meme aside, I agree with this for the most part. Granted, earning my JD helped me get into corporate law, but I'm also miserable, so there's a bit of a trade off.
As for the original topic, I recommend Stephen Landsburg's "The Armchair Economist," as a light introduction to everyday economics. Another good intro is James Gwartney and Dwight Lee's "Common Sense Economics."

As for a global perspective, "The Wealth and Poverty of Nations," by David Landes is good stuff. Great insight into the distribution of wealth on a global scale.  

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

happy.gif

Unfunny meme aside, I agree with this for the most part. Granted, earning my JD helped me get into corporate law, but I'm also miserable, so there's a bit of a trade off.
As for the original topic, I recommend Stephen Landsburg's "The Armchair Economist," as a light introduction to everyday economics. Another good intro is James Gwartney and Dwight Lee's "Common Sense Economics."

As for a global perspective, "The Wealth and Poverty of Nations," by David Landes is good stuff. Great insight into the distribution of wealth on a global scale.  

abovelegit1 wrote:

Being miserable and being well compensated is a bit better than being miserable and earning a median wage.
btw, what do you mean a JD helped get you into corporate law? Didn't it allow you to get into corporate law? 

A grad econ degree does not help nor allow one to get in anywhere worthwhile... for the most part. 

btw, most academic economists are:

forever-alone-halloween-pumpkin.jpg

abovelegit1 wrote:

Being miserable and being well compensated is a bit better than being miserable and earning a median wage.
btw, what do you mean a JD helped get you into corporate law? Didn't it allow you to get into corporate law? 

A grad econ degree does not help nor allow one to get in anywhere worthwhile... for the most part. 

btw, most academic economists are:

forever-alone-halloween-pumpkin.jpg

Back
Top Bottom