Recent college grad salary thread. Vol. "How am I supposed to eat off that?"

I just received my BBA with a concentration in Management. Been searching for jobs for a minute and it seems as if the going salary for anything I'm qualified for is 26-31K or 12-15/hourly. I live in the DC metro area btw

I'm really trying to find out if companies are low-balling and what really is the average salary for somebody fresh out of school.

All majors welcomed to chime in.

Thanks

I majored in Environmental & Occupational Health. First job was landed within days of looking. It wasn't a 9-5 deal, I worked at all shifts. The firm was a catering company based on the airport for a lot of the airlines. I was hungry and loved working odd hours. Pay was around $50k/year. I was the lowest out of all my friends. My friends were getting around 55-65k on their first jobs.

I dealt with keeping the firm in tune with codes from regulatory bodies such as OSHA in addition to keeping the workplace safe.

This was in 2010. I stayed there for 15 months and left for a job that paid me ~30% more.

Last edited:
i remember sales job with unrealistic goals. didn't take me long to leave the job.
the salary was 30k w/compensation. pretty much had to work 10+ hrs with some weekends.
if you break it down it's like 11/hr. that's practically min. wage.
needless to say, high turnover.
this is in SF, definitely, barely living wage.

Last edited:
damn 30k? i thought it was expensive to live in DC. i'm from the bay area, 30k will have you living at the crib with your folks for years to come. 

i always tell my younger cousins and friends to try their hardest to get internships while in school if they have time for it. i lucked out and i know it helped me earn more right out of college. in fact the dude that got hired with me was making like 5-7k less than i was for basically the same job, because he had no prior experience. 

@OP- check potential job titles for jobs you've been looking at @ salary.com or just google something like "business manager" and put in your zip code.. should give you a good idea of where to be

i dont think any business concentration (out here in the bay area at least) has a starting salary out of college of less than 40-45k

finance was around 45k-50k, marketing around 40, acct 45-50k, info sys 50-55k, management 40-45k.. good luck tho 

I just received my BBA with a concentration in Management. Been searching for jobs for a minute and it seems as if the going salary for anything I'm qualified for is 26-31K or 12-15/hourly. I live in the DC metro area btw
I'm really trying to find out if companies are low-balling and what really is the average salary for somebody fresh out of school.
All majors welcomed to chime in.
Thanks

Since you're in DC, look for program coordinator positions, etc. under the government and average salaries should pan out to around 50K.

B.S in Business and Engineering (Drexel University) Graduated in 2011 - Operations and Supply Chain Management. 75K + 5K Bonus.

Big Aerospace Company.

Nice. I goto Drexel too, but I'm in Lebow. Graduating in 2013
Work Hard dude. Nowadays everyone is qualified for every position. The difference is the soft skills and the leadership.

Feel free to bug me for information connections, whatever.

B.B.A in Computer Information Sytems, graduated from Univ. of Toledo in August of 2011 and i live in the Cleveland,OH area.

First job in Oct of 2011 i was making 12.50(tech support for stores like walmart and target) working crazy shifts and my bosses and everyone above me had no education and I knew i was smarter and could do more but after getting rejected from 10 interviews you take what can pay the bills.

Second job in Dec of 2011 i was making 14.47(tech support for a phone company)job was more about sales and complaints then it was displaying my problem solving skills.

Finally in March of 2012 I landed a remote software support engineer job which required electrical engineering degrees but i got it with a business degree(a true blessing). Base salary 63k + bonus and full tuition reimbusement to get my masters.

Never give up OP and never stop applying for the jobs you want no matter how many times you get turned down or not called back. Your dream out of college job is out there with a starting salary that reflects all the hard work you put in during college. Just remember its a process and to continue to hone your interviewing skills.

Last edited:
B.B.A in Computer Information Sytems, graduated from Univ. of Toledo in August of 2011 and i live in the Cleveland,OH area.

First job in Oct of 2011 i was making 12.50(tech support for stores like walmart and target) working crazy shifts and my bosses and everyone above me had no education and I knew i was smarter and could do more but after getting rejected from 10 interviews you take what can pay the bills.

Second job in Dec of 2011 i was making 14.47(tech support for a phone company)job was more about sales and complaints then it was displaying my problem solving skills.

Finally in March of 2012 I landed a remote software support engineer job which required electrical engineering degrees but i got it with a business degree(a true blessing). Base salary 63k + bonus and full tuition reimbusement to get my masters.

Never give up OP and never stop applying for the jobs you want no matter how many times you get turned down or not called back. Your dream out of college job is out there with a starting salary that reflects all the hard work you put in during college. Just remember its a process and to continue to hone your interviewing skills.
Great advice. This is, more or less, what I echo to my younger gents. Good jobs are out there. Network your butt off. Even if you don't have the 5 years of experience that they want, stil apply. Do not use a 'universal' resume. Cater your resume and cover letter to fit each job you apply to. Yes, it's time consuming, but it's worth it.

After I left my first job, I went through probably 15+ interviews, even at jobs I knew I probably did not want to take. I still did the interviews because I see them as sparring sessions. It makes me think on my feet, and I got pretty good at it.

I am also in the DC metro area and graduated last year from Maryland with a degree in Finance. I was lucky enough to land a job starting at 65 prior to graduation, but have many friends who have told me of their struggles in the job market around here. A friend graduated with the same degree and concentration as you from JMU and it took him around 25 interviews before he finally landed a job that would pay above 50k. It was hard to see him struggle looking for a job that would take him at a fair rate, but I can say he is definitely happy with where he landed. Just keep interviewing as others have said OP and make sure you do not settle for a job/wage that you are not content with or you will not be happy yourself. Good luck!

damn 30k? i thought it was expensive to live in DC. i'm from the bay area, 30k will have you living at the crib with your folks for years to come. 

Depends on what part of DC you're living in..

also p4l.....I'm about to graduate, so this is helpful

Oh
Another fresh out of college grad thinkin' he's gonna make bank...
You gotta work your way up, bruh.

Assumptions.

I don't think I should be making "bank" (i.e. 60k+), I know better than that. However, a livable wage would be nice. I don't know if you know the cost of living in or around the D.C. area, but after you subtract taxes from a 28K salary you're better off working for min. wage and taking your chances with section 8 and food stamps....seriously.

Appreciate everybody who's giving real advice though. I didn't make this thread to sound elitest or entitled (I'm actually the opposite and cheap as hell), I was just trying to get a range of what everybody else was getting.

Last edited:
What's the earning potential like over the next few years?? If it's good....find a living situation you can tolerate. No one wants roommates out of college but it can substantially reduce your monthly outay and set you up for a good future.

Back
Top Bottom