Recommend me a DOG!

OP, cop a Pomeranian. Here's one of mine. She's cocaine white and so adorable.

She doesn't need a lot of exercise since she's about 5 lbs. She runs around the apartment in circles and plays with her toys for hours too. Easy to train and acts tough against bigger dogs
pimp.gif

Here she is also humping/raping one my brother's male Pom.

Her bottom lip will start quiver as she thrusts her vag against his booty. She'll even try and bite his ear if he doesn't react to her.

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

YoungTriz wrote:

dont bulldogs shed like crazy?
my dog sheds quite a bit.  I brush her once a week, but should brush her more often (but no time, and im lazy).  I have to wash/vacuum all my couch blankets and pillow/chairs atleast once a week cause of the dog hair.  i think if i had the time to brush her daily it wouldnt be as much of an issue as most of the loose hair would come out then instead of on all my furniture or the ground.

What about health issues? I hear bulldogs are a handful and you constantly have to take them to the vet which just leads to tons of bills.

Pomeranian. I'm biased since I own one, but they're easy to train, intelligent, have a good temperment, and are great around children. Plus their hair doesn't shed as much, you couldn't even tell I have I dog.

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

YoungTriz wrote:

dont bulldogs shed like crazy?
my dog sheds quite a bit.  I brush her once a week, but should brush her more often (but no time, and im lazy).  I have to wash/vacuum all my couch blankets and pillow/chairs atleast once a week cause of the dog hair.  i think if i had the time to brush her daily it wouldnt be as much of an issue as most of the loose hair would come out then instead of on all my furniture or the ground.

What about health issues? I hear bulldogs are a handful and you constantly have to take them to the vet which just leads to tons of bills.
Mine is an Olde English Bulldogge which is a different breed from English Bulldogs.  OEB's are a fairly new breed (selective breeding began in the 1970's I believe) in an attempt to recreate the original "bulldog" (which were originally much more athletic dogs used to bait bulls, thus the name).

By no means am I trying to disparage English Bulldogs, as I love all bulldogs and think english bulldogs are friggin awesome, but the main reason why I went with an OEB instead of a EB is because of the health issues.  OEB's dont have the comical proportions of an EB (that make them look so awesome) which often leads to the health issues.

My pup has some wrinkles on her face, but they are not as deep and rolly where I constantly have to clean em out to keep em free of infection.  She has a shorter snout (which causes her to snore at night), but not to the point where it makes it difficult to breed.  Her legs are a bit longer and she has no problem running or changing directions and *knock on wood, it doesnt appear that she has any signs of hip issues.

The only major health issue shes had thus far was with her eyes.  Since she does have the wrinkly face as is common with bulldogs, she did have a case of entropian (sp?), where her eye follicles were growing inwards into her eye instead of outwards.  She had to have surgery at about 5 months old becuase it was causing issues.  Outside of that surgery (which set me back about $3K) shes been in pretty good health and I havent had to take her to the vet all that much, not anymore than some of my friend's non bulldog dogs.  

Originally Posted by casekicks

I got a Pomeranian and he's a great little dog..Has plenty of personality, relatively easy to potty train, and he likes to sleep for long stretches of time throughout the day..I've had him for almost 2 years and I've never had a problem with him and children and other dogs..We have a 3 yr. old and they are best friends and we live in a complex where there are several other dogs and have had no issues with aggression to others when walking..TEAM BARKY BOB!!!
I've tried at least 6 different times to potty train my pomeranian. He still pisses in the house. Regularly.

^^^^Wow....$3K? That is a lot to me.

I hope people put in consideration that dogs are pretty much like kids and should be treated the same. I hear of so many stories where dogs are either sent to the pound or put to death because families or owners can't afford the vet bill. Don't get a dog unless you have the money for it.

Mine is an Olde English Bulldogge which is a different breed from English Bulldogs.  OEB's are a fairly new breed (selective breeding began in the 1970's I believe) in an attempt to recreate the original "bulldog" (which were originally much more athletic dogs used to bait bulls, thus the name).

By no means am I trying to disparage English Bulldogs, as I love all bulldogs and think english bulldogs are friggin awesome, but the main reason why I went with an OEB instead of a EB is because of the health issues.  OEB's dont have the comical proportions of an EB (that make them look so awesome) which often leads to the health issues.

My pup has some wrinkles on her face, but they are not as deep and rolly where I constantly have to clean em out to keep em free of infection.  She has a shorter snout (which causes her to snore at night), but not to the point where it makes it difficult to breed.  Her legs are a bit longer and she has no problem running or changing directions and *knock on wood, it doesnt appear that she has any signs of hip issues.

The only major health issue shes had thus far was with her eyes.  Since she does have the wrinkly face as is common with bulldogs, she did have a case of entropian (sp?), where her eye follicles were growing inwards into her eye instead of outwards.  She had to have surgery at about 5 months old becuase it was causing issues.  Outside of that surgery (which set me back about $3K) shes been in pretty good health and I havent had to take her to the vet all that much, not anymore than some of my friend's non bulldog dogs.  
Great info.  My wife and I just put a deposit on an Olde English Bulldogge this weekend (we actually saw her hours after birth), so we're pretty amped to get her in a couple of months.  We've been looking into getting her pet insurance.  Do you have any advice?

Originally Posted by BLinK

Pomeranian. I'm biased since I own one, but they're easy to train, intelligent, have a good temperment, and are great around children. Plus their hair doesn't shed as much, you couldn't even tell I have I dog.

Poms shed quite a bit. You have to brush their hair every day...

jeenewed-I don't know what you mean by you "tried 6 times" to housebreak your dog..You don't try to do it, you just do it..You have to take them out atleast once every half hour and make sure to not let them have food or water for atleast an hour before bed time..And if you catch them in the middle of going on the floor you have to tell them no and immediately take out..It's all about repetition with Poms..I know the first 6 months I took my dog outside atleast 15 times a day..And I would stay out with him for about 5-10 each time..Takes alot of work but they pick it up rather quick compared to other breeds I've had..

Originally Posted by ImSoLA

Great info.  My wife and I just put a deposit on an Olde English Bulldogge this weekend (we actually saw her hours after birth), so we're pretty amped to get her in a couple of months.  We've been looking into getting her pet insurance.  Do you have any advice?

I have insurance through petsbest but its moreso just for peace of mind.  It really only covers accidents (if my dog got hit by a car or ate something she wasnt supposed to or something like that).  It doesnt cover any congenital defect, which the entropian was.  It costs me about $150 or so a year (I think?) so its not too bad.  I'm not rich by any stretch, but hell I can drop $150 on a bar tab on any given night, and i love my dog more than i love drinking, so pet insurance was a no brainer for me.  If you saw my liquor cabinet you would see how bold of a statement that is.

^^^^Wow....$3K? That is a lot to me. I hope people put in consideration that dogs are pretty much like kids and should be treated the same. I hear of so many stories where dogs are either sent to the pound or put to death because families or owners can't afford the vet bill. Don't get a dog unless you have the money for it.
hahahaha man $3K is a lot to me too.  It sucked to cut that check, but seeing my little girl suffering with her eye all wonky like that, I didnt think twice.

You bring up a very good point about the cost of dogs.  Right around the time I got my pup, my coworkers dog was diagnosed with cancer and all the treatment cost upwards of $10K.  I half jokingly told my wife that if Lola (my pup) needed treatment that cost $10K, there is no chance in hell that I would go for it.  Now that I've had her for the last year, I cant imagine putting money before her health.  I love my dog too much.

OP mentioned that he has owned a dog before so I'm sure he's aware, but for any potential first time owners, just be prepared to spend a ton of money.

I've mentioned it on NT before, but I paid quite the premium for my dog ($2,500), and probably even overpaid.  If I added up all the direct and indirect costs associated with my dog over the past year including the cost of the dog, vet bills, food, toys, training classes, sitters, etc... etc... I probably spent close to $10,000.  Looking back on the last year though, I don't regret any of it.  My dog has increased my overall happiness and quality of life tenfold.  The only negative thing really is the affect on my marriage, as my wife thinks that I love my dog more than I love her hahahaha.

Just curious, where are you getting your OEB from?  With your SN I'm assuming you are local (I'm in LA), and I didnt see too many local OEB breeders.  I got my pup from 1 Bulldog Nation.

Is this going to be your first dog or have you owned dogs before?

This thread makes me want a dog. That cocaine pom is 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
 Frank.

Id name my dog, 'doggie' or 'coke' if I had one.

Originally Posted by Frank Mucus

She doesn't need a lot of exercise since she's about 5 lbs. She runs around the apartment in circles and plays with her toys for hours too. Easy to train and acts tough against bigger dogs
pimp.gif

Her bottom lip will start quiver as she thrusts her vag against his booty. She'll even try and bite his ear if he doesn't react to her.

Aint got nothing on my Wolf-Sable Pomeranian
smile.gif
jk yours is a cutie tho 
smile.gif

Just curious, where are you getting your OEB from?  With your SN I'm assuming you are local (I'm in LA), and I didnt see too many local OEB breeders.  I got my pup from 1 Bulldog Nation.

Yup, located in L.A.  We're getting our OEB from Doublewide Bulldogges (based out of Temecula, CA).  My wife did a lot of the research as far as breeders go.  I drove down to meet the breeder a few months back and get a better sense of his operation.  After vetting him, we decided to with his services.
We've both owned dogs independently.  This will be our first together.

I know I shouldnt care what others think, but I do so.................for those of you that own Poms, and btw Ive always thought they were cute.........do you walk them by yourself? Meaning, does your gf./wife go with you haha. I dont wanna look soft walking a Pom in the neighborhood

Frank,

what are the options for grooming, they look cool all puffy as puppies, but as they grow up, can you keep them short, or do you have to let the hair grow out?

Any other positives/negs you can think of?

Originally Posted by Mexcellence

Originally Posted by Frank Mucus

pimp.gif

Aint got nothing on my Wolf-Sable Pomeranian
smile.gif
jk yours is a cutie tho 
smile.gif

Aint neither of you guys' got nothin on my Sexual-Chocolate Brown, Sir Barky Bob Von Fluffy (Thats his official title)..
Both yall got nice lookin' Poms..
People can say what they want about being a grown man with a small dog, but I guarentee you I'll have 10x's the amount of women come up to me while walking my dog than you will w/ your Pit/Rott/Doberman/German Shepard..

^Corgis are cute dogs, but don't they have alot of health issues do to their heavy bodies and short legs?..Kinda like how weiner dogs have spine issues cause of short legs/long bodies..

Originally Posted by casekicks

Both yall got nice lookin' Poms..
People can say what they want about being a grown man with a small dog, but I guarentee you I'll have 10x's the amount of women come up to me while walking my dog than you will w/ your Pit/Rott/Doberman/German Shepard..
im sold
pimp.gif

Yup, located in L.A.  We're getting our OEB from Doublewide Bulldogges (based out of Temecula, CA).  My wife did a lot of the research as far as breeders go.  I drove down to meet the breeder a few months back and get a better sense of his operation.  After vetting him, we decided to with his services.
We've both owned dogs independently.  This will be our first together.

hahaha let me know if you need some puppy pads.  i think i stil got like 3/4 of a box of em from when I was housetraining my pup.

one thing to note with OEB's (and maybe dogs in general?).  How/what you feed them early and how much you exercise them when young may greatly affect their appearance and growth.  My pup is not very bully (broad wide body/chest) even though both her parents were.  Even though our breeder recommended we put her on supplements early, we didnt.  Personally, I think it was for the better.  Even though she is fairly lean and smaller, she is still really dense and strong and can be a handful for my 115lb wife to handle without a pinch collar on.  I cant imagine how much of a problem it would be if we had her on supplements and raised her to be more stocky and muscular.

@OP - dont let these Pom owners fool you. 
happy.gif
  Nothing against pom's, but I would bet my paycheck that my medium/big dog could pull just as many women as their poms will.  Hell, OP, if you're in LA I'll let you take my dog out for a test spin just to prove it. 

My complex is on the corner of a pretty busy intersection and I've literally had people hold up traffic to ask about my dog..Women will turn the corner and pull right in the parking lot, roll down their windows and ask what kind of dog he is and tell me how cute he is..I take him everywhere with me in the car and I get tons of people shout out the windows and ask questions..And forget even taking him to the park or pet store cause Im gonna be there twice as long as I want to be..Pomeranians are the ultimate attention magnet dogs..I'm a proud Pom owner, I don't care if it's "manly" to own one or not..I bet I look silly walking considering Im 6' 250 and tatted from knuckle to shoulder on both arms..
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Can't grow wrong with a Lab. Ever seen Marley & Me?

Very easy to train, obedient, well sociable, by far the friendliest breed, and a good guard dog when need be. Not to mention they're gorgeous.

^ labs require a TON of exercise and it could cause problems if you dont have the time and energy to properly exercise them on a daily basis.

Back
Top Bottom