Reggae Heads, recommend me some artist.

So I've been finding myself on this reggae vibe lately. Been listening (to of course) a lot Bob and the Wailers, Mikey Dread, and Peter Tosh. I've beenlistening a lot to Jah Cure after I heard the I'm Yours Remix
laugh.gif
,dude's voice is so soothing. Anyone can give me some more modern Reggae artist like a Jah Cure. I got the old school stuff (downloading some Lee ScratchPerry right now
pimp.gif
), but I haven't been following any of the new reggaeartist out there. And please no dancehall, I'm just trying to chill
laugh.gif

Buju Banton is the closest thing you gonna get to Bob nowadays.

If you don't have "Til Shiloh" get that ASAP....The Illmatic of modern Reggae.

Sizzla "Da Real Thing". Absolute classic

Gyptian

Gotta have some Beres Hammond....Reggae Luther Vandross. Best love chune singer ever.

Richie Spice is the hottest konscious singer on the scene today.

I Wayne , Sanchez, Garnet Silk (R.I.P.), Ghost, Luciano, Anthony B...check them out.

I can go on for days.

Originally Posted by abeautifulhaze

Gyptian

Gotta have some Beres Hammond....Reggae Luther Vandross. Best love chune singer ever.

I Wayne , Sanchez, Garnet Silk (R.I.P.), Ghost, Luciano, Anthony B...check them out.

Truth!
Gentleman, Taurus Riley are kool too, plus a few others.
Is it just Roots & Lovers rock ur lookin for? I need some
new tunes myself, bad!

Is it just Roots & Lovers rock ur lookin for? I need some
new tunes myself, bad!
Yup. And good looks Haze! My girl is loving that Gyptian song
pimp.gif
. About to go through your post right now and find what I can. Then off to the record store.

Gyptian

I can go on for days.
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif
If you ever come to the Caribbean we would laugh at you..Bujuis nothing like Bob the closest comparsion would probably be Luciano and thats even stretching. All the songs you recommended are YEARS old... finding newreggae/culture songs are different from rap.. all you have to do is find out the latest riddim/beat

check out
Tarrus Riley-Wanty Wanty NO Getty
Tarrus Riley and Konshens-Good Girl Gone Bad
Jah Cure-Never Find, Two Way Street

Gentleman -Changes
Capleton-Acres

Vybz Kartel-Virginity
Richie Spice-Soothing Sound
Jah Vinci-Watch Yuh Friends

Charley Blacks-RICH THIS YEAR

Laden-Time To Shine

if you want more message me thats just a few from this year and ending of last... pm me for more
laugh.gif
edit no dancehall

Originally Posted by Cronicmolemolereturns

Gyptian

I can go on for days.
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif
If you ever come to the Caribbean we would laugh at you..Buju is nothing like Bob the closest comparsion would probably be Luciano and thats even stretching. All the songs you recommended are YEARS old... finding new reggae/culture songs are different from rap.. all you have to do is find out the latest riddim/beat

check out

Gentleman -Changes
Capleton-Acres

Vybz Kartel-Virginity

Laden-Time To Shine

if you want more message me thats just a few from this year and ending of last... pm me for more
laugh.gif
edit no dancehall
Shut the hell up.

My whole fam is fomr the Caribbean. I just came back from Trini and Grenada a couple months ago.

I know that the songs are old...homie is just trying to get his feet wet in the music and culture, i'm trying to point him in the right direction. Hedidn't ask for "new stuff" he asked to get put on to moder artists.

Luciano like Bob?...Come on. Luciano's music sounds nothing like Bob's. Luciano is Luciano.

Untold Stories, Till I'm laid to Rest, Magic City etc...sounds like Bob echoing from the grave.

Buju is the closest thing to Bob since he has passed. The lyricism, vocal ability, image, emotion, crossover appeal and charisma.

Tried to tell em bout the Gentleman & Tarrus
pimp.gif

But the hard part is findin out the new riddims....
I need a youtube channel, blog or sumtin.

Originally Posted by Cronicmolemolereturns

Gyptian

I can go on for days.
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif
If you ever come to the Caribbean we would laugh at you..Buju is nothing like Bob the closest comparsion would probably be Luciano and thats even stretching. All the songs you recommended are YEARS old... finding new reggae/culture songs are different from rap.. all you have to do is find out the latest riddim/beat

check out

Gentleman -Changes
Capleton-Acres

Vybz Kartel-Virginity

Laden-Time To Shine

laugh.gif
edit no dancehall
Shut the hell up.

My whole fam is fomr the Caribbean. I just came back from Trini and Grenada a couple months ago.

I know that the songs are old...homie is just trying to get his feet wet in the music and culture, i'm trying to point him in the right direction. He didn't ask for "new stuff" he asked to get put on to moder artists.

Luciano like Bob?...Come on. Luciano's music sounds nothing like Bob's. Luciano is Luciano.

Untold Stories, Till I'm laid to Rest, Magic City etc...sounds like Bob echoing from the grave.

Buju is the closest thing to Bob since he has passed. The lyricism, vocal ability, image, emotion, crossover appeal and charisma.
BUJU BANTON IS NOTHING LIKE BOB MARLEY YOU FOOL... have you listened to his discography? Bob Marley was always on a conscious tip Buju Bantonhowever.. why did you insist on leaving out songs Like Waterman..boom bye bye... champion... pum pum etc songs that bob marley would never make as a matter offact to put it plain and simple the closest thing to Bob would have to be his son Jr.Gong. lyricism,vocal ability image emotion crossover appeal(i.e Grammyreggae album of the year Welcome to Jamrock and having an up and coming album with Escobar.

I have heard every Bob Marley song ever made and virtually every Buju song ever made.

Champion and Boom Bye bye are just natural evolutions to the artform. That style of dance hall developed in the mid to late 80's after Bob passed so ofcourse he doesn't have those kind of songs in his discography.

Joe and Jaheim are like new Luther's and Al Green's (somewhat) but Al Green never had a song like "Stutter" or "Still not aPlayer".

Music evolves but certain artist have similar qualities and charactersitics.

"My influence range from Bob Marley," says Buju. "Because I remember when Bob Marley dead, at 9 years old I was looking throug a shop window watching a televison, you know, of all his performance on that night, and that rivet in my mind."

On the subject of Marley's influence, Buju readily cites his own album. "Til Shiloh is different than anything I have ever ever done in my entire career," he says. "This album is reggae music, dancehall music; it is reminiscent of the 60s, the 70s, the 80s and present 90s. So youths who never have a chance to check out music from the 70s and 60s will listen to this and relate to it. Cause I cannot relate to Bob Marley in the full sense of seeing him and touching him, but the youths can relate to I and I and the music that I and I is putting out right now. And it's the same essence, it appeals to them just as Bob [would]. So give thanks."

Buju's dnace chunes are the in the same spirit of Stir it Up and Kinky Reggae...the vibe is just expressed differently through the music today. No onemakes those kinds of songs anymore.

If you can't see the similarity in Bob's work, message and style...I don't know what to tell you.

okay I don't mean to threadjack but I really need my question answered and since theirs some reggae heads in here I wanted to know if you guys know whatthis song is that stuck in my head that I've been searching for, for a while. It has a sick beat sorta like a jay-z ft. memphis bleek "coming up"beat, it has 2 guys from what I heard the chorus sounds sorta like how the chorus goes in Lil'waynes A milli when the dude goes "A milli, A milli, Amilli" and the dude from the song i'm speaking of has a rough voice like that of Vybz, Buju, or even Shabba.

I heard this song on the radio I think it was either hot 97 or Power 105, IF YOU HAVE ANY IDEA OF ANY SONGS THAT EVEN REMOTELY SOUND LIKE WHATEVER THE HELL IWAS TALKING ABOUT PLEASE PM ME OR POST IT.

And OP I would find some songs with Gentleman, Turbulence, Jah Cure, Capelton, Maxi Priest if you like slow stuff, Sanchez, Beres Hammond...

Back
Top Bottom