remember all the controversy this video started?

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

Originally Posted by seasoned vet

when this video came out everyone took it that Nas was signing with Murder INC., i think they may have even had some sort of unofficial announcement through some media outlet by Irv.......streets was buzzing about for a few days, the video dropped the streets went CRAZY.

.....keep in mind this was in 2002 and right in the height of the Jay vs Nas beef.

Furthermore Irv and Jay were both heavy in the industry, not to mention Irv was there with Jay and helped lay the frame work / build the Roc from RD so it was really like
eek.gif
Oh %++% !!!

Irv is that man, people don't realize, want to give him his just due and its sad.

.....hiphop heads have such a short memory
30t6p3b.gif
. i know i give NT Music alot of flak, but im seriously shocked at how cats can fully remember the Nas/Jay beef, all while this particular event completely escapes their mind.

....personally? ive NEVER messed with Murder INC., never purchased a Ja album in my life much less supported any of their artists ever, and even i couldnt escape the !#@* storm this video started.

....the alliance of Nas and Murder INC., people thought, was going to make the Nas/Jay beef go nuclear. i guess Nas got cold feet and pulled on the deal. to add, Jay accused Nas of laying more than a few bricks in his career, and some saw the alliance as a positive that would help Nas make better music (i wasnt one of them).

....funny thing though, this was like the last event that was taken seriously. it was like Nas' finger was on that Big Red Button, and then nothing. this was pretty much the last we heard about the beef until Nas signed to Def Jam and their sit down with Sway on MTV. i mean, there were rumbling on BP2 and other avenues but no where near on the scale as before.

- if you search ("murder inc" Nas) on Google, the first 4 pages are full of articles and or message boards talking about it back then. i even found a current article from October 2011 where Irv talks about how that potential signing caused problems between him and Jay:

[h2]Irv Gotti’s Attempts To Sign Nas Damaged Jay-Z Relationship[/h2]
This past Wednesday (October 5) on ?RapFix Live,? Wu-Tang Clan swordsman Method Man and Murder Inc. honcho Irv Gotti graced the infamous red couch alongside host Sway Calloway. As always on the ?cornerstone of hip-hop,? Sway got his subjects to open up about their storied pasts and showed true journalistic grit in keeping the interviews fresh as possible.

During Irv Gotti?s portion of the show, the Queens native spoke of his potential signing of legendary rapper Nas and how their nearly inked deal soured the relationship between Irv and former Nas foe Jay-Z.

?It ruined me and Jay a lot,? said Irv Gotti of Nas potentially signing to the Murder Inc. imprint. During the time of the reported deal, Nas and Jay-Z were embroiled in a heated war of words culminating in Nas? blistering dis track ?Ether? and Jay-Z?s ?Super Ugly? response. However, Irv Gotti revealed that his interest in Nas was deeper than the Queens borough they both proudly represented.

?I messed with Nas because Hov kept turning me down,? shared Irv of his reasons for going with Nas. Irv explained later in the interview that his frustrations that Jay-Z didn?t immediately latch on to a failed Murder Inc. tour plan fueled his pursuit of Nas with Steve Stoute?s introduction linking the pair ? but the Queensbridge lyricist wasn?t moved by Irv?s promise of rap riches. ?If you know Nas, the last thing he wants [is that attention],? said Gotti.

Since then Jay-Z and Gotti have patched up their differences after an hours-long discussion in Central Park along with Irv’s children, as the mogul told it.

i may be wrong but i think this video also might have played a role in 50 dissing nas

Originally Posted by abutta13

i may be wrong but i think this video also might have played a role in 50 dissing nas

It did because he felt as though Nas was the only dude in the rap game who had remained loyal to him from his early days, outside of yayo of course, and to see him do a song with Ja who had set him up to get stabbed rubbed him wrong... but it lead to fif realizing that Nas wasn't Ja when "Don't Body Ya'self" dropped
eek.gif
30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif

seasoned vet
i thought the Jay & ja/irv problem stemmed from Jay backing out of a tour with them (sayin he wasnt gonna tour) then hopping on the Sprite tour (or something similar)

then Jay spanked Ja on the The Watcher 2, then here comes 50...rest is history. 

im not exactly sure of the timing of things, but i believe i remember hearing this ^ around the time "song cry" had the making of the video on BET...or it could have been ja that mentioned it on the making of video? memory has failed me.

edit:

i guess i didnt read the article you posted fully, it mentions it there. 

t immediately latch on to a failed Murder Inc. tour plan

and yea you may be right cake about 50 fallin out with Nas over that...
but i remember an interview (heard off a mixtape or something) where someone asks 50 what he thought of artist and Kelis name gets brought up. 50 said she smelled like "full court basketball." when he met her.the interviewer was like "you know that's Nas' girl right?"

and 50 was like na he didnt, but didnt take back what he said either. 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by jthagreat

seasoned vet
i thought the Jay & ja/irv problem stemmed from Jay backing out of a tour with them.....

....i wasnt exactly sure myself. plus, i wasnt saying thats where it started, i just new that it added to what was already there. my bad if it came out like that.

Two things. 1 How did Jay get at Ja on the Watcher? 2. I think 50's beef wit nas was more about nas gettin on that J. Lo song that fif was supposed to be on and he got tight cuz Nas took his spot on what woulda really been his first real attempt at breakthrough sucess

Originally Posted by seasoned vet

when this video came out everyone took it that Nas was signing with Murder INC., i think they may have even had some sort of unofficial announcement through some media outlet by Irv.......streets was buzzing about for a few days, the video dropped the streets went CRAZY. then it was confirmed that there wasnt going to be a deal.

.....keep in mind this was in 2002 and right in the height of the Jay vs Nas beef.

....damn, where were yall back then? LOL!
For real. I was only 12 and even I remember this 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by My Toy Soldier

Two things. 1 How did Jay get at Ja on the Watcher? 2. I think 50's beef wit nas was more about nas gettin on that J. Lo song that fif was supposed to be on and he got tight cuz Nas took his spot on what woulda really been his first real attempt at breakthrough sucess

of course all could be random raps and im reaching, but Jay is known for subliminals. 
 Things just ain't the same for gangsters
Code:
But I'm a little too famous to shoot these prankstersAll of these rap singers claimin they bangersDoin all sorts of twisted %%$@ with they fingersDisrespectin the game, no home trainin or mannersI was doin this %%$@ when you was !*!$%** PampersI was movin them grams 'fore you, knew what a hand that hand wasDuckin the vans, radars, the scanners'Fore you knew what hard white to tan wasI was hittin the turnpike, aight with the bammersI was nice with my hands, cuss aight with them hammersI was prickin my finger 'fore you knew what a Fam wasI had it laid out 'fore you knew what a plan wasThree hundred mill' later, now you understand usY'all ain't see us comin through VegasYou ever seen so much cham' bust in one nightGrand %@!#!@ up one fightI was on the Peter Pan busYou was Peter Pan up in your room, y'all *+%!!! with whom?Allow me to retortYou cowards is just now learnin the %%$@ that we taughtYou %#$%%# ain't know about a Robb ReportBout a high speed Porsche, i.e.You %#$%%# ain't know how to floss 'til I came through the doorlike "Eric B. for Pres," respect me in this !*%%@!You can't disrespect us cause you got a little check cutYou was suckin for so long, *+%!!! your little neck upNow you too big for your britches, you got a few little $!%*%!*You think you Hugh Hefner, you just ridiculousI blew breath for you midgets, I gave life to the gameIt's only right I got the right to be king%#$%%# that got life really like what I singCause they know what it's really like, %#$%%# feel my painKnow the %%$@ I DON'T write be the illest %%$@ that's ever been recitedin the game word to the hyphen in my NAME!J, A, Y, DASH, HoffaThe past present ###+* the future, properThe holy trinity of hip-hop is usWe give, Dre his props BUT that's where it stopsIt's the Roc
Code:
Code:
bolded the obvious, but im sure you can connect a few more lines to Ja.

Originally Posted by My Toy Soldier

2. I think 50's beef wit nas was more about nas gettin on that J. Lo song that fif was supposed to be on and he got tight cuz Nas took his spot on what woulda really been his first real attempt at breakthrough sucess

If thats the case then he extra was petty/salty... I somewhat could see the issue with The Pledge all things considered, I mean he could've died during that altercation and they were supposed to be cool so yea.  But if it was over that song then ehhh.  Boys verses get dropped in place for other artist all the time, thats part of the game.

Originally Posted by jthagreat

and yea you may be right cake about 50 fallin out with Nas over that...
but i remember an interview (heard off a mixtape or something) where someone asks 50 what he thought of artist and Kelis name gets brought up. 50 said she smelled like "full court basketball." when he met her.the interviewer was like "you know that's Nas' girl right?"

and 50 was like na he didnt, but didnt take back what he said either. 
laugh.gif

i remember that
roll.gif

Cam'ron- Shouts out to Gotti & Ja man. Yall some smart !#% N's. I love yall N's man. Yall gon have Nas rapping another 10 years for yall. You gonna be working for Ja. Ja gon retire in 2 years. You gonna be 48 rapping you dumb @!@

Irv explained later in the interview that his frustrations that Jay-Z didn?t immediately latch on to a failed Murder Inc. tour plan fueled his pursuit of Nas with Steve Stoute?s introduction linking the pair

That is correct, Jay later goes on to do the Sprite tour that summer with a few rock groups, I forget their names.  Ja evens mentions that during an interview on TV where the reporter asks if him and Jay were having issues and Ja replies that "Jay was suppose to do a tour with us, but later on we find out that he ends up during a tour with them Sprite dudes", something along those lines.

How did Jay get at Ja on the Watcher?

It was at some award show where Ja Rule or Murder Inc. won an award, they go on stage and Ja Rule gets on the mic and says "cut the check" and in The Watcher 2 Jay says.......

You can't disrespect us cause you got a little check cut
You was suckin for so long, *+%!!! your little neck up
Now you too big for your britches, you got a few little $!%*%!*
You think you Hugh Hefner, you just ridiculous
I blew breath for you midgets, I gave life to the game
It's only right I got the right to be king

Referring to the line that Ja said at the award show previously and even making fun of Ja Rule's height, which even Eminem did during at the end of a diss song to Ja Rule. 

But I'm a little too famous to shoot these pranksters
All of these rap singers claimin they bangers
Doin all sorts of twisted %%$@ with they fingers
Disrespectin the game, no home trainin or manners
I was doin this %%$@ when you was !*!$%** Pampers

Making fun on Ja being more of a singer than a rapper which is what he ending up becoming while still trying to be "tough" by throwing up set signs at the same time.

rule.jpg

Damn I always thought hov was gettin at fab/nelly around that time. I thought the hugh hef line & gettin the check cut was goin at fab (%+##@## hugh hefner & hov bein tight they albums dropped on the same day the year before. I thought the fingers/singers stuff was gettin at nelly cuz hov first dropped that rhyme in the summer of 02 & nelly was doin some foolishness wit his hands on the cover of the source durin that time.

Only thing I remember is that this video started the rumor that Nas would join Murder Inc. Then Nas was on HOt97 or Power and just said he's not and he goes way back with Irv and Ja. Then pretty much never worked with them musically again
laugh.gif

I do remember ppl speculating a whole lot of bs of a coming war between all those guys after Nas already beat Jay.

I thought the fingers/singers stuff was gettin at nelly cuz hov first dropped that rhyme in the summer of 02 & nelly was doin some foolishness wit his hands on the cover of the source durin that time.

No doubt, but nah he was cool with Nelly, particularly around this timeframe............"Only dudes moving units Em, Pimp Juice and us."

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

Only thing I remember is that this video started the rumor that Nas would join Murder Inc. Then pretty much never worked with them musically again
laugh.gif

I do remember ppl speculating a whole lot of bs of a coming war between all those guys after Nas already beat Jay.

Originally Posted by ScottHallWithAPick

Cam'ron- Shouts out to Gotti & Ja man. Yall some smart !#% N's. I love yall N's man. Yall gon have Nas rapping another 10 years for yall. You gonna be working for Ja. Ja gon retire in 2 years. You gonna be 48 rapping you dumb @!@

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
Classic
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom