Retirement?? Why though....

as much as anyone says, "i don't care what other people are wearing. i buy what i like and i wear it" most DO care.
if you are on this forum, you care.
i don't always have to have the rarest shoes on, but it gets annoying when jabroni's are waiting in line for a new release wearing fake shoes.
and also, everyone is a sneaker head. thank twitter.

its already tough dealing with high price shoes and bad quality. but then to beat resellers and hypebeast on gettijg a pair its just plain silly. i only buy now if i walk in the store and its there. no lines or anything if its not there then i dont cop.

I don't wanna see a shoe get retro +++  when we still haven't gotten the later models retro'd yet..

The shoe gm stops when u the individual stops...I find myself liking performance shoes more and more (e.i. Lunars) with all the advancement in technology...my jordans are broken out for date nights with my wife and special occasions with my son..I don't think I can resist a fresh pair if I have the cash.

im close for many reasons but will probably never stop getting what i like/want.
Im tired of crap shoes selling out and having to wait in line for f'ing GR shoes and paying over retail for inferior quality or better yet even retail is rediculous and i know that inflation occurs all the time but if a shoe cost them 50 bucks to make in 01 and they cut the quality so that they still cost 50 bucks today it makes no sense for them to go up 60 dollars retail...and im done

As has been stated before, priorities change, new hobbies come about and things just change.....I'm 34, have a wife, two boys, a mortgage etc..and I have developed a new fondness for late 60's/early 70's muscle cars as I'm restoring a '69 Camaro as we speak. Did I have all of these things 5, 7 years ago?? Not at all! Will I completely ever get out of the game??? No, I love J's and always will have a pair in my closet but for me, I get a better feeling of money well spent on suspension parts I know are top quality and having a car that can be passed down to my kids than to blow endless dough on J's like i used to.

all this new extra hype and the new "sneakerheads" making it harder to get pairs of shoes now. so i guess camping out for a general release is normal now? smh, it makes it less fun. i wish it went back to waking up 8 am and picking a pair up with no problem.

Originally Posted by dharv

As of recently, JB is starting to retro sneakers within 4 years of the prior releases. I keep seeing people complain about retiring due to this issue. Why are you "retiring" from buying sneakers due to them being released so frequent? I just don't understand. If you WORE your sneakers, you'd probably like a new fresh pair by the time they re-released that particular shoe. Stop whining and wear your shoes everyone. That's their purpose!!!

Because at this point in time people dont have just one or two pairs of shoes to wear, they have 40 to 50.  And those 40 to 50 are colorways that they really like, so its hard just to wear the same pair every single day.  Nike has figured out the way to trigger people into feeling that they have to have certain shoes and more than 1 of each one.

Originally Posted by jjs136

Originally Posted by Vuey

I challenge any of you to give me 3 examples of goods or services that have remained the same price from 10 years ago ???? The mighty US dollar is not what it use to be. I think alot of you have overlooked the growth of China in the 10-12 years, their minimum wage is now on par with most developed countries. Hence labor/production cost are no longer "cheap". As for quality, if they were to sell a shoe with higher quality , it would cost even more to sell retail. Remember , if your not happy with the quality, don't buy it.
Challenge denied, inflation over the last 10 years has affected most of goos and services.
But, when you say that if JB was gonna make higher quality shoes, the retail would be higher. I desagree on that. Adidas, Nike and other brands are making shoes with way better quality at lower prices. And for retro, jordan doesn't have to create a new design and all that, they already have the design. 

So why do we pay more for Jordan shoes? This company is not stupid, they see people buying shoes for way more than retail, so why wouldn't they put the retail higher? They want to make money and they can because even if they put the prices higher and higher, people will still buy them and the shoes will sell out. 

I see the point your making with Adidas and other brands having better quality shoes than JB and are at retail cheaper, but the marketing and market penetration of JB is so strong they can afford to cut corners to maximise profit and know their loyal customers will still buy. Also, JB is classed as a "sports luxury item" some may argue this, but they can command top $$$ for their products that no other sporting brand can do. They have such a passionate fan base that the others lack.

As for the retro design aspect, cost of high end "tooling/moulds" would be needed to create new run of retros. Materials although cheap, have increased in price over the years as well. Cost to manufacture has increased with inflation. Also, a main driver for all cost increases is the oil price, which we have all seen rise steadily over the years.

Originally Posted by santhony21

quantity being made=quality of the kicks decreases

plus some colorways arent as exclusive anymore since they're being retroed and everyone can get them..
Lies. I bet you $100 Nike produced more pairs of Jordan XI's in 95 than in 2011. 

Originally Posted by Rex Ryan

dudes say their going to retire as if their never going to buy another pair of sneakers again.

as you get older you start to prioritize more and more on real things that have importance and less on petty stuff like sneakers.

there's no real such thing as retiring from buying sneakers imo. you just get more selective when it comes to your purchases.

between the price hikes which as stated before inflation doesn't justify as it didn't exist with vi's between 1991 and 2000 and iv's between 1989 and 1999. as a buyer i personally can find much better use for $160 plus tax then buying a pair of declining quality sneakers.

certain releases i'll cop for nostalgic purposes, but i'm not willing to go through all the leaps and bounds i would do during my younger years over sneakers anymore.

This pretty much sums it up for me.

While I'm as guiltly as anyone for using the word "retirement", it's just for simplicity's sake.
I don't give a dam about 'exclusivity' or 'what the kids are wearing', I buy whatever Js I like: for nostalgia, or if they straight up look good (what a concept, eh?). Working a 9-5, I only get a chance to wear sneakers on Fridays and the weekends...and that's if the Canadian weather co-operates. So it's not that hard for me to keep all my Js in great condition for a LONG time.

That being said, JB ain't no dummy. They know the lot of us are ready to jump ship once we got most of what we want retroed (OG cws of I-XIV). So over the next 5-10 years, I can see them releasing
-XV onwards retros
-better quality re-re-retros and/or the return Nike Air
-all of the above
After that, NT will cue the michaelcorleone.gif

To be honest, Jordans used to stand for something. Being the best engineered basketball shoe for the best player. Now all they stand for is Jordan and nike's greed. The quality on some of these is so horrible that they're not fit for their purpose. So I'm not going to spend $170+ on a "basketball" shoe I can't ball in.
They just make them for hypebeasts now. And no I do not care how many people have the shoes I have as long as I'm happy with my pair

I recently purchased the last shot 14 retros. Luckily, I still have my OGs so I had something to compare them to. The OGs feel like they were made by Italian craftsmen, the retros feel like they were built by chinese slave labourers.
Everything on the shoe was built down to a price, even the "metal" tips on the laces, which by the way, were some sort of nasty plastic and not even metal. I returned them as soon as I got them.

Now I limit my sneaker consumption to quality nike retro, mainly Pippens, GPs, and a lot the stuff nike put out in the late 90s early 00s, which I consider the golden age for basketball shoes.

Janitor wrote:
That being said, JB ain't no dummy. They know the lot of us are ready to jump ship once we got most of what we want retroed.
So over the next 5-10 years, I can see them releasing

[color= rgb(51, 153, 102)]been thinkin the same thing...[/color]

Originally Posted by Dcypoe

Janitor wrote:
That being said, JB ain't no dummy. They know the lot of us are ready to jump ship once we got most of what we want retroed.
So over the next 5-10 years, I can see them releasing

[color= rgb(51, 153, 102)]been thinkin the same thing...[/color]

I really hate when people say this. You really think Nike is that worried about a couple hundred guys on a message board compared to the hundreds of thousands of people who don't give 2 #!*$$ about Nike Air? 
5-10 years from now the Jumpman will still be on the back of Air Jordans. 

JB knows that whether there's Nike Air or not, the same dudes complaining will still cop. 

JB isn't the dummy, its the people who firmly believe that they are going to cater to such a small group of people who are the true dummies. 

[color= rgb(51, 153, 102)]It's not about catering to a small group of people on NT...it's about making more money & generating hype.[/color]

[color= rgb(51, 153, 102)]I mean, we are talking about the same company that did this a couple years back...[/color]

[color= rgb(51, 153, 102)]within 6 months of each other.[/color]
[color= rgb(51, 153, 102)][/color]

some people have been collecting for years, They have every pair of og jordans in dead stock condition, so why should they waste there money and feed into these newer model of js without the nike air, Crappy quality and price increase. when they have the A grade quality in the comfort of theyre own home. If theyre smart they would spent that money else where down payment on a house or even college. If i was on the same boat, like most of these guys i would purchase sneakers that come CLOSE TO MY OGs. like the chi X, VIII.

[color= rgb(51, 153, 102)]It's not about catering to a small group of people on NT...it's about making more money & generating hype.[/color]

[color= rgb(51, 153, 102)]I mean, we are talking about the same company that did this a couple years back...[/color]

I'm still convinced they just painted the leftover varsity reds in the back of the store
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by MaddoxKay

I'm still convinced they just painted the leftover varsity reds in the back of the store
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
grin.gif

But, they would have had to of taken the air chambers out and switched the blacks out for the neutral toned OG air chambers as well...

I've owned both and I feel that the nubuck cut on the Infrareds was shorter than the suede nubuck cut on the Varsity Reds.

Back
Top Bottom