REVIEW: Hyperdunk 2011

What's good NT'ers?  I know this is kinda late, but here's my take on the Hyperdunk 2011 
nerd.gif

(
中文版,請到這裡。)

Putting the Dunk in Hyperdunk

Last season's rookie phenom Blake Griffin reminded every basketball fan of the slam-dunk.  How it must have felt to soar through the air, catch a pass lobbed too high, throw it down in the face of an ill-informed defender and the crowd erupting in appreciation.

The Zoom Hyperdunk 2011 will NOT give you those feelings unless you possess Blake's uncanny combination of finesse and power, but even the most casual onlooker will appreciate these shoes.

I, I, I WORKOUT

Following the design language of its predecessors, the Hyperdunk 2011 is one sexy looking shoe.  The Blake Griffin model in particular has a bright mango upper with 3M earthquake fault lines hidden within.  A glow-in-the-dark heel counter (that doesn't really glow much) and a crackling black and orange midsole finish the explosive look.

I caught at least five people looking at my feet while shopping in Times Square.  (Ed's note: This is Times Square in Hong Kong.  Nothing in Times Square New York phases nobody no more...)

The most surprising thing I noticed about them was even after long sessions of basketball, there were no visible creases on the toebox or medial side of the shoe.  The wrinkles in the midsole were also naturally camouflaged by the crackling pattern and any dirt on the Flywire upper was easily cleaned off.

FIT ME BABYONE MORE TIME

Asbasketball shoes are cut lower and lower, the HD2011 stays true to its heritagewith a hi-cut profile that feels lower than it looks but offers impressivelymore security for the range of motion. My previous basketball shoes were predominantly the Zoom Kobe V andJordan 2010.  Obviously this is a lothigher, but not so high that it felt restrictive.

Inmy experience with the HD2011, there is some excess room in the toebox.  It doesn't press down snugly on the top ofyour toes.  At first I thought this mightbe a problem, but it did not transpire on the court.  The shoe still felt secure and there wasn’tany noticeable movement within the shoe. Sure, the fit isn't as snug near your toes, but the upper and heel morethan makes up for it.

Thisis where the HD2011 truly shines.  Muchlike Blake, the new upper material has the uncanny combination of power andfinesse: Power to protect during play and finesse to mold specifically to yourfeet.  Obviously this is coupled by anawesome lace system, which comfortably wraps the Flywire around your foot.  I didn't register any discomfort from thelace pressure despite the thinly padded tongue. That’s probably because I don’t tend to tie my laces too tight.

Iusually wear US9.5 for Jordansand US10 for Nike Basketball, and this is no exception as the US9.5 felt alittle tight on the sides for me.

QUAKE LIKEBLAKE

AsI noted in the beginning of this review, these shoes will not give youpreviously non-existent dunking prowess. What it can provide is superb on-court performance.

Theoutsole is fairly similar to the previous iteration with minor cosmetic updatesthat allow you to peek into the Zoom Air encased within.  Honestly, Zoom Air isn't much to look at, butboy is it nice to step on!

Heeland forefoot Zoom bags give you a comfortable ride that is supportive but stillfeels close enough to the ground for maximum responsiveness.  For me, the Jordan 2010's are still the mostgenerous in terms of cushioning, but these feel much quicker.  Jordan 2010 is like a luxurious 5-serieswhile the HD2011 is more akin to the GTI; snappier and younger (less wrinklestoo!).

TheHD2011 is also a lot lighter than Jordan 2010's.  In fact, it's lighter than most hi-topbasketball shoes in the market with the exception of Crazy Light.  Personally I stopped caring ever since theZoom Kobe II's blew my mind in terms of weight, but if you have a markedpreference, then these will suit you nicely.

BIG IS BEAUTIFUL

Inmodern basketball, fans are modeling their game towards the wing and pointpositions with dribble penetration, 3-pointers and fancy layups.  This is especially true in Hong Kong whereballers are relatively nimbler and thinner.

Well,I’m relatively thicker…

WatchingBlake Griffin tear it up last season, he really inspired me to take every advantage of my size andbecome a post presence.  Lacing up theHD2011's gave me the psychological boost to bang for the rebound, get up tocontest a shot, post-up and relish the contact.

I'mnot saying that the HD2011's are a big man's shoe, but it will definitely openup opportunities for you to play big. Nike did a tremendous job in not only creating a quality product, butalso pairing it up with the perfect front man. Thanks for putting the DUNK back in HyperDUNK, Blake!

Thanks for reading!!

Since you are in HK, I assume you play mainly on outdoor courts. How do these hold up outdoors?

Hey, love your nickname, myselfonline!
Yep, I play mainly on outdoor courts, about 0.7 times a week and I've had them for 3 months without any problems.  However, all my shoes usually last quite long.  I think my inherent style of play (below the rim, shooter-not-slasher) extends their life =P

Back
Top Bottom