RIP New York Hip-Hop? (Need Some Feedback)

You dudes act like it's some sort of conference that occurs to determine a sound.

I don't think a "sound" exist anymore. It's just a bunch of people copying what ever is popular.

That's like me saying New York has a sound, throw on a Dave East tape

By sound you want a million mumbling dudes with colored Venus Williams braids

Why is it so hard for NYC to figure out it's sound/ identity?

What a mess, Opp this Opp that murder/death/kill.

NYC has an identity and it's been posted for the past few pages, there's still a ton of artist in NYC who are authentic to NYC. People not from the city are constantly trying to tell us what OUR identity is because they only hear a portion of the music.

A$AP Twelvy just dropped an extremely NYC sounding album, Dave East has been firing for two straight years, Don Q & A- Boogie are in the same crew and sound NOTHING alike... there's literally dozens of artist who are talented and making moves in the city. However because they don't make music that's built for the clubs or revolve around a all to familiar BPM people act as if they don't exist.

I honestly don't think NYC is ever gonna be the pinnacle of rap again in terms of mainstream, because mainstream rap now outside of maybe 3-4 artist is based on things that naturally isn't the vibe NYC. NYC has always been known for lyricism, extremely soulful production, righteous or for lack of a better word "backpack" themes, detailed stories & reality. Mainstream Rap has moved away from that & i don't think it's EVER getting back to that place.

This new generation of listeners literally aren't trained to thoroughly listen to music, they don't have the attention span, if it isn't a frequently looped 808 they can't vibe with it, If it doesn't have a repetitive hook & a simplistic flow they blank out after a minute. And this isn't a NYC specific problem, rappers from any region get hindered when they aren't making that sound of music. However it was the south that ushered in this style of a more simplified, club atmosphere sound that dominates the mainstream..... so southern artist aren't viewed as being inauthentic when they make those records.

Also FTR, French Montana is currently #1 in the country, Cardi about to crack the Top 10........ another summer & yet another hit record from an NYC artist who grabbed what was hot on the mainstream added their twist to it & set **** on fire.

That's like me saying New York has a sound, throw on a Dave East tape

By sound you want a million mumbling dudes with colored Venus Williams braids

I see what you mean but the sound he has is heavy over here. Most artists here aint on that weirdo soundcloud s****. He's just the most mainstream n***** out here at the moment besides Kendrick.

Nah. Cali still has a sound. Just thrown on a YG tape

I think it's quite important to state that that "Sound" isn't much different from the tempo & instrumentation used on trap beats. hence why when in a club setting these kind of records are shuffled in & out and nobody skips a beat.

Also the structure of the songs fall DIRECTLY in line with what mainstream hiphop has viewed as popular the past 10 years. this wasn't some new natural organic sound that happened, That sound was developed to stay on par with what was the new rules of the radio.

This new generation of listeners literally aren't trained to thoroughly listen to music, they don't have the attention span, if it isn't a frequently looped 808 they can't vibe with it, If it doesn't have a repetitive hook & a simplistic flow they blank out after a minute. And this isn't a NYC specific problem, rappers from any region get hindered when they aren't making that sound of music. However it was the south that ushered in this style of a more simplified, club atmosphere sound that dominates the mainstream..... so southern artist aren't viewed as being inauthentic when they make those records.

I hate this, because you're going to do what's going to get you heard or what's popular.

Is someone from New York anymore of a copycat than Lil Yachty who isn't from Atlanta?

So anyone from the south can make that type of music? That's allowable?

An extremely authentic NYC vibe, however this isn't gonna get radio play because NYC radio is ran by stats instead of the people.

YG's sound is nothing like trap. His sound is a newer Spice 1/Dogg Pound sound

I wasn't talking about YG specifically i was talking about Mustards sound which has been bastardized & Repeated continuously over the past few years. The tempo's, Sounds & overall structure of the songs are VERY similar to the mainstream sound of what the south produced.

Obviously there's cats in L.A who got there own sounds and are doing innovative things Kendrick, Y.G, Nipp, Q, Tyler etc etc.... but those sounds aren't representative of the "hit" songs that come out the West, they aren't representative of what is played on mainstream radio or in the clubs. And that's what i'm saying as far as NYC goes. We have tons of artist who make authentic NYC music & experiment with new sounds. But these days people act as if it's not played in the clubs, radio or liked by a certain pocket of teens on the internet it's not hot.

Kamaiyah's mixtape is a ****ing classic and has an authentic west coast sound but that **** doesn't get bumped on the radio at all and none of my homies know who she is but nobody can't tell me her **** ain't hot.

So sick of these aux cord warriors trying to front on artists who's popping because they not on ****

In terms of NYC were in a great place right now and have a lot of DIVERSE artists. Nobody can't tell me **** about NYC no more

Kamaiyah's mixtape is a ****ing classic and has an authentic west coast sound but that **** doesn't get bumped on the radio at all and none of my homies know who she is but nobody can't tell me her **** ain't hot.

So sick of these aux cord warriors trying to front on artists who's popping because they not on ****

In terms of NYC were in a great place right now and have a lot of DIVERSE artists. Nobody can't tell me **** about NYC no more

I was surprised at how much I liked Kamaiyah's tape

Mustard sound is still old westcoast ****.

We Gonna agree to disagree because NOTHING about those videos you posted sounds the same as far as tempo & style go.

As far as the mainstream radio goes & what a lot of these "tastemakers" (who aren't from the same culture as i) champion, the style that is promoted is very distinctive. & a large percentage of it is disposable music. if that's the output people wanna lay claim too, then i much rather NYC go under the radar and continue to Focus on Quality.

August 18th

Dave-East-Paranoia-A-True-Story-Cover.jpeg

Those videos definitely hace a similar sound to them. That spice 1 joint alone pretty much sound like Mustard remade it a dozen times with a modern flare.

We Gonna agree to disagree because NOTHING about those videos you posted sounds the same as far as tempo & style go.

As far as the mainstream radio goes & what a lot of these "tastemakers" (who aren't from the same culture as i) champion, the style that is promoted is very distinctive. & a large percentage of it is disposable music. if that's the output people wanna lay claim too, then i much rather NYC go under the radar and continue to Focus on Quality.

August 18th

Dave-East-Paranoia-A-True-Story-Cover.jpeg

The Mila J song is the same beat as Snoops old song. :lol: He just added little **** to it.

The "Do It To Ya" beat is the same as "Let's Play house" he just sped it up.

So where are these Mustard trap hits? Lol

That Mila J record is the same formula he been using and that's Daz's sound. Mustard got a million "I'm different"'s and that's the Bay.

Yeah thats why people wasnt messong with mustard at first because he kept using the same beat changing one little element :lol:

Aite if ya'll say so.... tell one of these younger fans who listen to "i'm different" "Rack City" "Want Her" to listen to a Daz album and if they even get through 3 songs without calling it "dusty rap beats".

Mustards sound was a 1000% made to fit in with the current popular sound of the radio (current popular sound of radio is basically southern/trap sound & gentrified Caribbean/OVO sound)... He's even specifically stated how he keeps his music at a certain BPM & tempo just to make sure his songs get played in the popular mixes at radio & festivals.

There was an interview with Ebro who broke down into specifics how radio companies do research and then have marketing meetings that force program directors to stick with songs that are inbetween a specific BPM. This is done around the country no matter what region, so that extremely limits NYC artist who want to stay authentic. Because there's literally a formula in place that you have to have to be put in rotation.

The only chance is mix shows, where Dj's can test out records & if the average listener has been bombarded with the same 20 songs over & over & over again that are all pretty similar in sound....... what do you think they are gonna do when a song comes on that fits nowhere in that mold?

Aite if ya'll say so.... tell one of these younger fans who listen to "i'm different" "Rack City" "Want Her" to listen to a Daz album and if they even get through 3 songs without calling it "dusty rap beats".

Mustards sound was a 1000% made to fit in with the current popular sound of the radio (current popular sound of radio is basically southern/trap sound & gentrified Caribbean/OVO sound)... He's even specifically stated how he keeps his music at a certain BPM & tempo just to make sure his songs get played in the popular mixes at radio & festivals.

There was an interview with Ebro who broke down into specifics how radio companies do research and then have marketing meetings that force program directors to stick with songs that are inbetween a specific BPM. This is done around the country no matter what region, so that extremely limits NYC artist who want to stay authentic. Because there's literally a formula in place that you have to have to be put in rotation.

The only chance is mix shows, where Dj's can test out records & if the average listener has been bombarded with the same 20 songs over & over & over again that are all pretty similar in sound....... what do you think they are gonna do when a song comes on that fits nowhere in that mold?

Who cares what young dudes that just fellow trends say (all young kids aint the same). Mustard sound is directly from the bay/old death row. Everybody knows and hears that. He's sampled a lot of music from that era.

"Do It to Ya" contains interpolations of "Let's Play House", written by Delmar Arnaud, Calvin Broadus, Ricardo Brown, Cynthia Calhoun, Nathaniel Hale and Michel'le Toussant, performed by Tha Dogg Pound;"

Daz even sued for the Mila J record.

http://hiphopdx.com/news/id.39058/title.daz-dillinger-accuses-dj-mustard-of-jacking-his-beat

He might speed some of it up, add a few lil things but his sound is old west coast.

typical you say.... meanwhile Carti blew off "In New York I Milly Rock"...........

Now as for something for a different listener in NYC... Came across this & it gave me SDE Cam/ Early Jada Vibes. he ate that ****.

this beat is ****ing filthy

shoulda kept the first drums all the way thru tho

Last edited:

Who cares what young dudes that just fellow trends say (all young kids aint the same). Mustard sound is directly from the bay/old death row. Everybody knows and hears that. He's sampled a lot of music from that era.

"Do It to Ya" contains interpolations of "Let's Play House", written by Delmar Arnaud, Calvin Broadus, Ricardo Brown, Cynthia Calhoun, Nathaniel Hale and Michel'le Toussant, performed by Tha Dogg Pound;"

Daz even sued for the Mila J record.

http://hiphopdx.com/news/id.39058/title.daz-dillinger-accuses-dj-mustard-of-jacking-his-beat

He might speed some of it up, add a few lil things but his sound is old west coast.

mustard just took west coast sound and put trap drums on it.

NY can do the same and already has which is why I didnt understand why Harry Fraud wasnt NY's Metro or Mustard.

Shot caller and all those pop sampling French joints had a NY sound while still being modern. Some of french old joints sound like dipset beats from the future lol

hell even beats like quiet storm, MA had a feeestyle over it that did numbers. theres a difference between that dusty boom bap sound that joey had on 1999 and the late 90's/early 2000's style NY beats. but @ the end of the day anything can be a hit if presented right.

I've been saying that

Jeezy could rap over a lot of those same songs and nobody would think it was a west coast track.

That's why he has songs with 2 Chainz, TI, Rae Srummurd, Nicki and a lot of pop and R&B stuff.

Back
Top Bottom