RIP to one of the greatest singers to ever grace this earth - Etta James

balloonoboy

Banned
I remember being a youngster and my mother playing Etta's Gold album with some of her best hits from "A Sunday Kind of Love" to the heralded "At Last". Being moved by that voice that had such depth and richness and reached to the high heavens. I will be playing her "Gold" album today.

Here's of taste of her greatness -

RIP....She was truly an original. Also loved how she got salty in her older years...She'd speak her mind...

I know she was known for At Last, but this was always my favorite song of hers. Aretha owes a lot to Etta. I think she's even said so...

^Love that song.

Started listening to At Last and bawled my eyes out. Damn it's haunting.

This one brought the waterworks out as well -

frown.gif

Yea, you know better than to think these music enthusiasts would give a damn. R.I.P. I love artists who u can hear the soul in their music. Olivia should take notes

RIP to a pioneer and a legend
tired.gif
Only heard the more popular songs of her catalog, but damn were they something else.

Shocked this thread is still on the front page. Dudes in the music section are so narrow minded. Any way, saw a great quote from all people Mystikal regarding Etta, "People sayin they know Etta James Bc of Beyonce. But don't realize you know Beyonce Bc of Etta James. She paved the way for so many."

I forgot about that movie Cadillac Records, the story of Chess records. Loved Mos Def as Chuck Berry, Columbus Short as Little Walter (one of may favorite blues artists), Jeffrey Wright as Muddy Waters, & of course Beyonce as Ella. Check out the flick if you get the chance...

i say screw the people who are narrow minded, if they want to listen to music made for profit then let them be. i'll sit here and enjoy the soulful music.

^ dude's statement "i'll sit here and enjoy the soulful music" just got me thinking...OP should turn this into soul music thread in honor of Etta. None of that frickin r kelly %%%, I'm talking Al Green, Otis Redding, Aretha Franklin, etc...Just a thought...

Back
Top Bottom