||---Rogers Officially Announces iPhone Coming To Canada---||

It's the news technology buffs and Apple fans have been waiting a long time to hear.

On Tuesday Rogers announced that it will be bringing the highly popular high-tech iPhone to Canada.

"We're thrilled to announce that we have a deal with Apple to bring the iPhone to Canada later this year," president and chief executive Ted Rogers said in a release.

"We can't tell you any more about it right now, but stay tuned."

Since the gadget was released in the U.S. last June Canadians have been streaming across the border to buy one, even though it wasn't offered by any cell phone providers in Canada.

Users can make calls and perform other functions on the iPhone simply by tapping the touchscreen and it automatically syncs contacts, photos, and music from a Windows PC, Mac or Internet service.

An 8GB model sells for about $400 (US).

Some of the features of the iPhone:
The Phone:
  • Make calls by tapping name or number on touchscreen
  • Most frequently called numbers can be compiled into favourites lists
  • You can listen to voicemail messages in any order you choose
  • You can use songs from iTunes to create ringtones
iPod:
  • Widescreen - 3.5-inch display to watch videos, movies, tv shows
  • You can sync content from iTunes
Web:
  • Features rich HTML email and Safari browser
  • Syncs bookmarks from your PC or Mac
  • You can make a phone call while sending an email or surfing the web
  • iPhone Maps finds your location using cell tower information and WiFi networks
Other Tech Features:
Accelerometer which detects when you rotate the phone from portrait to landscape and then adjusts the display accordingly

Caught this over the radio on the commute to school this morning.

I'm waiting to see the prices w/ and w/o contract...

I wonder if this will be the 3G model, or the OG one...

I'd bet the OG one.... send all the leftover iPhones from the US up north, lol...

Even ATT will have them for $199 w/ 2yr contract.

So I'd say 400 with 3yrs from rogers, hahah.

Can't wait to see what kind of rape prices they'll have for the data plans, which Rogers will no doubt force people to sign up for when they pick up aniPhone.
smh.gif

Yeah it's going to be really late. This is what happens when Rogers has to take their time, and figure out the best way to make sure they have their basescovered in terms of getting the most money out of their customers. They supposedly had iPhones in testing since 2007 Q4; according to what some people that Iknow that work in the product development department. I don't know about Rogers. I really hope our next carrier that we get up here uses GSM technology.I'll probably make my move away from Fido, if the price is right.

What was the issue on the Iphone? Wasnt it the "Iphone" name? I wonder how they settled it.

not looking particularly forward to this, just feel we are going to be charged way too much for these things.

http://www.ruinediphone.com/dearsteve.php

Sign the petition, seems like most iphone lovers are.

<quote>
Dear Steve,

My name is James and I would like to thank you for creating the wonderful iPhone device. We really think that you will change the world with it, just as you changed the world with the iPod. We were so happy to learn that on July 11th, we would finally be able to buy the iPhone and legally use it in Canada.

To our great disappointment, Rogers Communications Inc. has announced VERY unfair rates in comparison to AT&T in the United States and to other authorized wireless service providers around the world. As a result, a consumer movement was born yesterday (June 27th) in protest against these rates.

Nearly 6,000 people have signed an online petition to help make a difference and the list is growing rapidly. In the last 48 hours, the website has had 40,000 unique visitors from around the world supporting Canadian consumers. There are a vast number of Canadians that would take the opportunity to buy an iPhone at $199CAD but these new plans have put it out of reach for many.

I would like to invite you to take a look at all these disappointed people at www.ruinediphone.com.

I was going to buy an iPhone for me, my girlfriend and my family.

Now, sadly, I cannot afford the plan.

I hope you can do something Steve; we are loyal customers and trust that you will. We don't want to lose faith in Apple.

Thank you,
James Hallen
Representing nearly 6,000 Canadian consumers.
</quote>

Rogers isn't even offering unlimited data plans for the iPhone.
smh.gif

[table][tr][th=""]Monthly Fee[/th] [th=""]$60[/th] [th=""]$75[/th] [th=""]$100[/th] [th=""]$115[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Weekday Minutes Included[/td] [td]150[/td] [td]300[/td] [td]600[/td] [td]800[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Evenings and Weekend[/td] [td]unlimited[/td] [td]unlimited[/td] [td]unlimited[/td] [td]unlimited[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Evenings are from 9 p.m to 7 a.m Monday to Friday and Weekends are from 9 p.m Friday to 7a.m Monday[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Data Included[/td] [td]400MB[/td] [td]750MB[/td] [td]1GB[/td] [td]2GB[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1MB= 1,024 KB 1GB=1,024MB[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Bonus Sent Text Messages[/td] [td]75[/td] [td]100[/td] [td]200[/td] [td]300[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Visual Voicemail - New with iPhone[/td] [td]Included[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Visual Voicemail allows you to go directly to any of your messages without listening to the prior messages, so you can quickly select the messages that are most important to you.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Access to Rogers Wireless
and Fido Hotspots
[/td] [td]Unlimited[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Additional Weekday Minutes
(per minute)
[/td] [td]35¢[/td] [td]35¢[/td] [td]25¢[/td] [td]15¢[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Additional Data[/td] [td]50¢ per MB for the first 60 MB, 3¢ per MB thereafter[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Additional Sent Text Messages
(per message)
[/td] [td]15¢[/td] [/tr][/table]
Value Packs for iPhone 3G

Add a Value Pack to your package and save up to 53% off the regular price of Wireless Essentials.
[table][tr][th=""]$15 iPhone Value Pack[/th] [th=""]$20 iPhone Value Pack[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Wireless Essentials Included[/td] [td]Wireless Essentials Included[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Call Display[/td] [td]Call Display[/td] [/tr][tr][td]WhoCalled[emoji]8482[/emoji][/td] [td]WhoCalled[emoji]8482[/emoji][/td] [/tr][tr][td]2,500 Sent Text Messages[/td] [td]10,000 Sent Text Messages[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Caller Ring Trax[emoji]8482[/emoji][/td] [td]Caller Ring Trax[emoji]8482[/emoji][/td] [/tr][tr][td]2,500 Call Forwarding Minutes[/td] [td]2,500 Call Forwarding Minutes[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]6pm Early Evening Calling[/td] [/tr][/table]
sick.gif

RuinediPhone almost has 50,000 members so far, a much greater number than the numberof iPhones that are initially coming to Canada.
I really can't see that many people buying it. It's $75 a month for the lowest pack after tax and the stupid @!@%!* system access fee, WITHOUT callerID.
Why doesn't Robbers just include caller ID?
Also, there's This site that is dedicated to people willing to cancel theirRogers cell accounts over this issue. Already over 100 people have signed up.
Rogers will give into this, in Russia, a company that initially offered unlimited data changed to 2 GB max, and Apple threatened to stop sending them iPhones.They caved.
Apple has already threatened Rogers with yanking the phone out of Canada if the plans don't changed. They will be sending 20,000 to Canada instead of theinitial 50,000 as stated because of this petition.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/09/rogers-caves-on-iphone-3g-plans-offers-up-6gb-for-30-a-month/

Power the people man.. Haha.

Rogers caves on iPhone 3G plans, offers up 6GB for $30 a month

by Paul Miller, posted Jul 9th 2008 at 10:27AM

Those kind, gentle Canadians have been oh-so-politely demanding a few heads on sticks ever since Rogers' super-spendy iPhone 3G price plans were announced.Well, apparently their cries have been heard, and now Rogers is launching a promotional offer along with the iPhone of 6GB of data for $30 a month -- not quiteunlimited data, but close enough -- which can be added on top of any regular voice plan. The promo will be available for iPhone buyers who activate with athree year contract before August 31. Also, perhaps in a bid to dispel some nasty rumors about a major iPhone shortage, Rogers will be hosting 8AM launch dayevents at six Rogers Plus stores in major Canadian cities, complete with a free breakfast. Mmm, breakfast.

[Thanks to everyone who sent this in]

Do you know if Fido offers the same plan?

Props to the only guy waiting by himself at a location in the underground pathway this morning.

laugh.gif

I'm waiting for that new HTC model. I'm a big fan of text messaging and planner, so I prefer buttons.

roll.gif
AT the dude they interviewd on CP24 this am.

Reporter " How much did you pay for the Iphone?
Guy "Close to $400"
reporter "Why so much"?
Guy " they said my credit was bad"

Data plan $30 until Aug 31.
indifferent.gif

Then $66 and change for data for the remiaing 34 months. Awful

Originally Posted by Freshsince1982

roll.gif

Guy "Close to $400"
reporter "Why so much"?

indifferent.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

iPhone is out of the question for me... way too expensive. Anyone have opinions on other Rogers phones? whats good out there? I need to upgrade.

FreshSince, I saw that this morning too, dude seemed to not even know how to use the phone properly.
Bad credit, smh, get outta here.

Melissa Grello
devil.gif
"So what can you do with the phone"
Dudes like "Uh, its cool, you can do stuff with it"

roll.gif

Guy "Close to $400"
reporter "Why so much"?

indifferent.gif

Don't you get locked into the $30/month for 6 GB for the duration of your contract? Or is Rogers really giving that deal for 2 months only beforeraising the prices? Because if that's the case, then I guess that kills my chances of scooping up the Blackberry Bold.
tired.gif

roll.gif

Guy "Close to $400"
reporter "Why so much"?

indifferent.gif

roll.gif
So Rogers pockets the extra $$$
roll.gif

6GB data/email is really outrageous. I mean for those who have a 9-5 you probably got a nice 15.4-17"+ screen with internet access so you really onlygoing to use it from 5-midnight and weekends. I don't think I'd have time to even come close to 1GB after cooking, eating, chores, sleeping, etc. Plus if you've got internet at home why on earth would you stare at a 3.5" screen when you've got a 17"+ screen at home? Great deal butunnecessary IMO.

No...$30 / 6 GB is AVAILABLE until the end of August...if you sign up for it before then it's $30 locked in for 3 years. After that whoever wants that plan(if they don't decide to make it permanent) will have to pay more.

^ Ok thanks for the clearification.

Still rather go with the BB from telus with unlimted date for $30, Unless you have the grandfather data at 15$

Back
Top Bottom