Rumored Return: Nike Zoom GP May 2019

langfor5

Supporter
According to Instagram user and reliable news leaker, oklai19 the Zoom GP, Gary Payton's first signature sneaker will be releasing in May 2019.
Part of the underrated Alpha Project line, monkey paw (Shox BB4), ski boot inspired ratchet lock down system with heel and articulated forefoot Zoom. Probably not as well known as his later signature releases like the Zoom Flight 98 aka the Glove but, IMO still a classic.
We can only hope it is as faithfully close to its original predecessor like the retro of the ZF98 (minus the carbon fiber shank).
29045fcc5b628d7ac8e0574375570fc2.jpg

I'll believe it when I see it.

Will buy all OG colors once they hit clearance.

It wouldn't surprise me.
There's a vapormax based on this shoe so you know it's on their minds.

This is one of those sneakers that I loved as a kid but now theyre just kinda cool to look at for me.
Probably wouldn't wear an that often.

Volt and blue ones were the best.
Would maybe cop one of those for a steal price

These are appreciated tho.

Last edited:
In. So ****ing in if these finally drop. Stocked up on multiples of nearly every 98 colorway and will do the same with these.

There is some misinformation in your post though. These are the second shoe in GPs signature line, third if you consider the Hawk Flight a true signature. Fourth if you want to take it a step further and consider the SOG. Zoom Flight 98 (The Glove) dropped in 98, these dropped in 99. The numbering on GPs line was always off :lol:

If these do drop, I hope they get done right. OGs feature so many subtle textures, materials, details and nuances that bean counters tend to neglect on a lot of retros.

In. So ****ing in if these finally drop. Stocked up on multiples of nearly every 98 colorway and will do the same with these.

There is some misinformation in your post though. These are the second shoe in GPs signature line, third if you consider the Hawk Flight a true signature. Fourth if you want to take it a step further and consider the SOG. Zoom Flight 98 (The Glove) dropped in 98, these dropped in 99. The numbering on GPs line was always off :lol:

If these do drop, I hope they get done right. OGs feature so many subtle textures, materials, details and nuances that bean counters tend to neglect on a lot of retros.

By year the 98 and 99 make perfect sense in regards to his numerical signatures. Thanks for the correction.
I am pumped to see these potentially comeback. While I never had a pair a buddy of mine in 8th grade had the white / navy color way and I thought it was the coolest looking shoe.
Maybe it is the pessimist in me but if Nike releases this shoe ZERO way it is faithful to the OG. Like you pointed out this shoe had so many unique features. I just hope it is close enough and not completely off like the Flightposite that has recently come out.
The Alpha Project silver box would also be a nice touch.

By year the 98 and 99 make perfect sense in regards to his numerical signatures. Thanks for the correction.
I am pumped to see these potentially comeback. While I never had a pair a buddy of mine in 8th grade had the white / navy color way and I thought it was the coolest looking shoe.
Maybe it is the pessimist in me but if Nike releases this shoe ZERO way it is faithful to the OG. Like you pointed out this shoe had so many unique features. I just hope it is close enough and not completely off like the Flightposite that has recently come out.
The Alpha Project silver box would also be a nice touch.
No problem. GPs line can be confusing since the numbering didn't really start until second or third shoe, depending on how you look at it. Some consider the Hawk Flight his first signature, but I consider the line starting at the Zoom Flight 98 (Glove). I consider the Hawk Flight along the same lines as the Huarache 2k4. Everyone knew it was Kobes signature, but it wasn't officially recognized as part of the line by Nike.

It would be cool to see the silver Alpha Project boxes return. I'd love nothing more than AP shoes to start getting the "remastered" treatment. I should mention though, Zoom GPs didn't use the silver box. They were one of the last Nikes to still use the black/red/brown swoosh boxes. It wasn't until 2000 that the silver 5 dot boxes were in rotation.

Best lateral lock down that I’ve ever felt in a basketball shoe, can’t wait

Interesting how Nike worked to cover up the ratchet system on GP's PEs. I also seem to remember him wearing either the take down model, the Believe Flight or the regular pair with a modified velcro strap instead of the ratchet system.

Back
Top Bottom