Russell Westbrook

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3468/russell-westbrook
http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3468/russell-westbrookRussell Westbrook's angry bench tirade late in the third quarter of Game 2 of the Oklahoma City-Dallas series Thursday stemmed from a botched play, according to a person with direct knowledge of the incident.

In the closing minute of the third quarter of Oklahoma City's 106-100 victory over Dallas, Westbrook made a play call that his teammates failed to run properly. When the play broke down, Westbrook made a one-on-one move that resulted in a turnover.

Thunder head coach Scott Brooks promptly took Westbrook, who had four turnovers, out of the game. Brooks slapped the all-star point guard on his backside as he walked by him. Westbrook turned around and glared at the court. Then, when Brooks walked toward him and made a comment, Westbrook yelled, "I'm trying to run the [expletive] play, man. Tell them to run the [expletive] play."

Westbrook continued yelling on the bench for roughly a minute, sparking assistant coach Maurice Cheeks to console him while the game was going on.

I'm glad Broussard brought this up, because I think the criticism that Westbrook has been getting lately has been getting out of hand. Sure he's definitely deserving of his share of the blame, but now we have people talking about even trading a 22 year old all-star pg who's still developing and is just going to get better. I don't know how well the relationship between KD and Westbrook is on/off the court, but I can definitely see the Westbrook/Brooks relationship going sour at this point. Regardless of how well the bench was playing it was definitely OD to bench dude for an entire quarter. 

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3468/russell-westbrook
http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3468/russell-westbrookRussell Westbrook's angry bench tirade late in the third quarter of Game 2 of the Oklahoma City-Dallas series Thursday stemmed from a botched play, according to a person with direct knowledge of the incident.

In the closing minute of the third quarter of Oklahoma City's 106-100 victory over Dallas, Westbrook made a play call that his teammates failed to run properly. When the play broke down, Westbrook made a one-on-one move that resulted in a turnover.

Thunder head coach Scott Brooks promptly took Westbrook, who had four turnovers, out of the game. Brooks slapped the all-star point guard on his backside as he walked by him. Westbrook turned around and glared at the court. Then, when Brooks walked toward him and made a comment, Westbrook yelled, "I'm trying to run the [expletive] play, man. Tell them to run the [expletive] play."

Westbrook continued yelling on the bench for roughly a minute, sparking assistant coach Maurice Cheeks to console him while the game was going on.

I'm glad Broussard brought this up, because I think the criticism that Westbrook has been getting lately has been getting out of hand. Sure he's definitely deserving of his share of the blame, but now we have people talking about even trading a 22 year old all-star pg who's still developing and is just going to get better. I don't know how well the relationship between KD and Westbrook is on/off the court, but I can definitely see the Westbrook/Brooks relationship going sour at this point. Regardless of how well the bench was playing it was definitely OD to bench dude for an entire quarter. 

i'm one of the biggest westbrook haters on the board ... but that is just because i'm a bulls fan and pro rose ...

all hating aside ... the kid is highly skilled ... i just tend to focus on the things he does poorly on the court ...

shooting off balanced all the time, driving recklessly towards the hoop, shooting too much, and imploding near the end of games which provides tons of lulz ...

but seriously ... kid is fast and is a rebounding beast ... he has teammates who can score like crazy so he can and should be racking up more assists

------------

w/ that said if he ran the play and it broke down b/c HIS TEAMMATES $%$@$@ IT UP ... then brooks is an idiot

yes the team was winning w/o him but at least put him in for free throws in the last 2 min ... things were tightening up as well and he just stayed on the bench ... you don't bench one ur horses in the conference finals for the ENTIRE 4TH QUARTER especially if it wasn't his fault

Brooks
indifferent.gif

you gotta know refbrook is a hot head and he may just go off the deep end after this ...

poor coaching imo ... yes it worked for the game but long term ... this can backfire and all dude had to do was put him in for a bit at the end or walk over to him and explain it then ... part of coaching is managing egos

i'm one of the biggest westbrook haters on the board ... but that is just because i'm a bulls fan and pro rose ...

all hating aside ... the kid is highly skilled ... i just tend to focus on the things he does poorly on the court ...

shooting off balanced all the time, driving recklessly towards the hoop, shooting too much, and imploding near the end of games which provides tons of lulz ...

but seriously ... kid is fast and is a rebounding beast ... he has teammates who can score like crazy so he can and should be racking up more assists

------------

w/ that said if he ran the play and it broke down b/c HIS TEAMMATES $%$@$@ IT UP ... then brooks is an idiot

yes the team was winning w/o him but at least put him in for free throws in the last 2 min ... things were tightening up as well and he just stayed on the bench ... you don't bench one ur horses in the conference finals for the ENTIRE 4TH QUARTER especially if it wasn't his fault

Brooks
indifferent.gif

you gotta know refbrook is a hot head and he may just go off the deep end after this ...

poor coaching imo ... yes it worked for the game but long term ... this can backfire and all dude had to do was put him in for a bit at the end or walk over to him and explain it then ... part of coaching is managing egos

i really dont get why westbrook has been getting so much crap lately. the thunder are winning and are still in the playoffs i dont see the problem. the media always tryin to +*!* on somebody its getting old.

i really dont get why westbrook has been getting so much crap lately. the thunder are winning and are still in the playoffs i dont see the problem. the media always tryin to +*!* on somebody its getting old.

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

He constant failure to realize that he isnt the #1 option on the team is at the root of this

Right.
#!#$ blaming the team for "not running a play". He goes through some stretches where it looks like he's point shaving at times.

He constant failure to realize that he isnt the #1 option on the team is at the root of this

this. at the end of the 4th and 1st ot (griz triple ot gm) they should have given kd the ball. as a result, the few times that kd got the ball he jacked it up right away, since he probably felt like he wasnt going to get the ball back if he passed. westbrook has a nice gm, but he forces the issue too many times. hopefully, he will learn to pick his spots and become more of a distributor. you got one of the best player in the world on your team, you can get a better shot than what he has been doing.

this. at the end of the 4th and 1st ot (griz triple ot gm) they should have given kd the ball. as a result, the few times that kd got the ball he jacked it up right away, since he probably felt like he wasnt going to get the ball back if he passed. westbrook has a nice gm, but he forces the issue too many times. hopefully, he will learn to pick his spots and become more of a distributor. you got one of the best player in the world on your team, you can get a better shot than what he has been doing.

firstly westbrook is probably the reason they are this far in the playoffs...

Brooks just gained a lot of respect from me...and also i bet a lot of respect from the team...if you're f'ing up you aren't going to play...going to be held accountable a-z is amazing and rare in this day and age.

good for brooks because westbrook has made a lot of mistakes these playoffs that were unnecessary

Right.
#!#$ blaming the team for "not running a play". He goes through some stretches where it looks like he's point shaving at times.

firstly westbrook is probably the reason they are this far in the playoffs...

Brooks just gained a lot of respect from me...and also i bet a lot of respect from the team...if you're f'ing up you aren't going to play...going to be held accountable a-z is amazing and rare in this day and age.

good for brooks because westbrook has made a lot of mistakes these playoffs that were unnecessary

Originally Posted by cRazy dav0

Not sure if serious.

To quote someone on here from last night...if Brooks doesn't make that change last night they may have very well been headed towards a sweep. 

Originally Posted by cRazy dav0

Not sure if serious.

To quote someone on here from last night...if Brooks doesn't make that change last night they may have very well been headed towards a sweep. 

I'm a Russ guy and he needed to be benched.  At some point he has to make the realization out there that he him trying to go iso isn't conducive to winnin games.  When he plays a balanced game like he did in game 7 he is as good as he wants to be but when he takes on this scorer's mentality it can be really harmful.  It's one thing to do it if he is hitting shots, its another if  he can't throw the ball in the ocean.

But as someone said in the NBA thread last night, the trade talk is ridiculous unless your swapping him for a CP3 caliber player.

I'm a Russ guy and he needed to be benched.  At some point he has to make the realization out there that he him trying to go iso isn't conducive to winnin games.  When he plays a balanced game like he did in game 7 he is as good as he wants to be but when he takes on this scorer's mentality it can be really harmful.  It's one thing to do it if he is hitting shots, its another if  he can't throw the ball in the ocean.

But as someone said in the NBA thread last night, the trade talk is ridiculous unless your swapping him for a CP3 caliber player.

Media is out of hand. Westbrook is not the Devil and Durant is not God. When did KD become the greatest player ever? He is good and all but not MJ (in Prime) he can't carry the whole team for the whole game. If Westbrook stops being an offensive threat and turned into Jason Kidd they wouldn't even be in the playoffs. So in ending be thankful for what you before it's gone.

KD if that's your boy stop letting him get killed like that!!!!!!

Media is out of hand. Westbrook is not the Devil and Durant is not God. When did KD become the greatest player ever? He is good and all but not MJ (in Prime) he can't carry the whole team for the whole game. If Westbrook stops being an offensive threat and turned into Jason Kidd they wouldn't even be in the playoffs. So in ending be thankful for what you before it's gone.

KD if that's your boy stop letting him get killed like that!!!!!!

IMO, it's more about poor coaching and personal than anything. Perkins isn't a threat and Thabo and Ibaka (while improving) are still limited offensively...so you're only really worried about KD and Westbrook. I know OKC's game plan is to run KD off lots of screens, and if that doesn't work then Russell kinda has to go for his. 
I'm at work so I can't post the videos but here's a good link where someone breaks down what happens when the OKC offense goes bad:

http://www.welcometoloudcity.com/2011/4/4/2090661/nba-playbook-where-thunder-offense-went-bad

I guess guys like Nash and CP3 still have the natural instinct to create for their teammates while Westbrook goes to his strength which is to create for himself. 

Back
Top Bottom