SAN DIEGO, HELP ME OUT PLEASE VOL. VISITOR FROM SAN FRANCISCO!

I live and grew up by that Best Western. That area isn't too bad, there just isn't much around there for attractions but aquatica (closed), San Ysidro outlets and the border. If you plan on crossing the border, Adelitas and Hong Kong club are a must.  All tourist spots are a good 20-30 from that spot. Gotta hit up crab hut if you're into seafood

:lol:

Those aren't spots he wants to hit up while he's with his girlfriend.

OP hotels in Downtown SD will be expensive because of comic con and also SD has some expensive tourist taxes the hotels apply.They make a grip of money on it each year.

Try finding a cheaper route like Mission Valley, hotel circle, or possibly even La Jolla.

Food:

Phil's BBQ is a must.
Slater's 50/50 is down the street in Liberty Station.
Corvette Diner is also there in Liberty Station.
Coronado is worth checking out for the beach and the Hotel Del.
Umi Sushi is dope also.

I haven't been to SD Zoo in years but I've always enjoyed Sea World better.

For discounts on tickets to amusement parks like the Zoo & Sea World.If you know someone in the military ask them to check the prices and get tickets for you on base.

Last edited:
UPDATE: GOING 7/23-7/27

Booked a hotel downtown @ The Bristol Hotel. It was 952 with plane tickets and 4 nights hotel (This was equivalent to staying at a crappy place far away from other attractions + having to rent a car).

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-bristol-hotel-san-diego

So now, we'll be taking the Taxi from the hotel to: SD Zoo + Safari and Seaworld (separate attraction/day).
Renting a car is 30+/day, plus the parking at the hotel is probably 20+/night, not worth it comes out to 60/day.

Last edited:
HAHAHAHAH

You should definitely go to Adelitas and Hong Kong!!!  Man, good times there!!!

I haven't been to TJ in a few years. Is it somewhat safe these days?

HAHAHAHAH
You should definitely go to Adelitas and Hong Kong!!!  Man, good times there!!!
I haven't been to TJ in a few years. Is it somewhat safe these days?
It's safe as long as you don't act up and act stupid. Still good time's south of the border

What are some of your favorite breakfast spots? :nerd:

Staying at The Bristol in DT San Diego.

Can someone tell me how much it'd cost to take the Taxi? Like costs/mile? :nerd:

Edit: Got it, google'd it. For future reference for anyone: http://www.sandiego.org/articles/transportation/san-diego-taxi-rates.aspx
You can get an all day trolley/bus pass for 5 bucks but you need to pay 2 bucks for the reloadable card.

Trolley can pretty much get you anywhere from downtown to mexico.
Be careful for weirdos.
http://www.sdmts.com/trolley/trolley.asp
Much appreciated. However, is trolley = public transformation? I've heard it's not as good as SF's and I don't really have the patience to wait (In SF either).

Time is precious when on vacation, I'll dish out the extra cash to save time. Now.........How about those breakfast spots ey? :D

Last edited:
Hash House is amazing.

Broken Yolk is 2nd.

Breakfast Burritos from p much any Mexican joint are essential.

Just read your thread here, I would def take trolley to places. You should hit up Old Town too.

Hash house I've tried in Vegas, pretty good. Maybe the GF will like it.

I'll yelp the other ones, thanks!

[quote name="Luong1209"

Time is precious when on vacation, I'll dish out the extra cash to save time. Now.........How about those breakfast spots ey? :D[/quote]

Dish out the cash. Public trans is a joke out here.

I'm a Lil jaded when it comes to food spots here. Phil's is great. Like pizza? Bronx pizza, regents pizza, and bar basic. Like Mexican? Lucha libre, tj oyster bar, el gordo. Fancy schmancy? Top of the market, Mr A's, Georges by the Cove. Cool Lil spots: old towne, PB, Coronado, La Jolla (sunset cliffs, didn't read whole 1st post but bring your wife/fiancee/GF/date/or any girl here.)

I'm thinking of La Jolla and Pacific Beach for scenery - How far is that from DT SD?

And not sure if stupid question, but how late do Taxis usually run?

20 to 30 minute drive.

Just get a rent a car man
 DT to La Jolla & PB is only 10 min ... Random DUI checks happen in the Gaslamp just in case you are thinking about having a few swigs. If youre not worried about that just rent a car. I remember last July I went through two DUI checks on the same night. One in Downtown and the other in Coronado.

Bonfire pits are always fun. 

DT to La Jolla & PB is only 10 min ... Random DUI checks happen in the Gaslamp just in case you are thinking about having a few swigs. If youre not worried about that just rent a car. I remember last July I went through two DUI checks on the same night. One in Downtown and the other in Coronado.
Bonfire pits are always fun. 

Wrong !

I'm born & raised here in have spent most of my life in SD.In fact I live in Mira Mesa which is 15 minutes from La Jolla and PB and I work in Downtown SD and know for a fact that Downtown to La Jolla is not a 10 minute drive :lol:

Unless you drive 120 mph down the 5 freeway.

You have to get a rental car unless you plan on trolleys.
Would you explain why?

The way I see it...

Taxi = 40/day x 4 = 160 give or take
Rental = ~35/day x 4 + $10 for insurance + gas + parking @ hotels/night = TOOOO MUCH.

Would you explain why?

The way I see it...

Taxi = 40/day x 4 = 160 give or take
Rental = ~35/day x 4 + $10 for insurance + gas + parking @ hotels/night = TOOOO MUCH.
Taxis in SD aren't easily accessible, be ready to wait up to 30 minutes for a taxi from anywhere outside downtown. Renting a car would be so much easier and you can come and go whenever you please and not waste time waiting for a taxi. The trolley won't get you everywhere in SD either without bus transfers. IMHO Renting a car is worth the money

I may do it for one day. I'm hoping DT SD is much easier to navigate than SF DT.

Its waaayyyyyy easier. Once you see how small SD DT is compared to SF DT. Taxis are harder to get here. The trolley is a joke.

I was raised in SD been traveling north and south of the 8. I'm jus trying to help dude out. I work in La Jolla and travel down. Every day.

Taxis in SD aren't easily accessible, be ready to wait up to 30 minutes for a taxi from anywhere outside downtown. Renting a car would be so much easier and you can come and go whenever you please and not waste time waiting for a taxi. The trolley won't get you everywhere in SD either without bus transfers. IMHO Renting a car is worth the money

I would agree with this. How much is your time worth? SD valet isn't anywhere close to SF valet. I was staying at the Hilton and Marriott. One was near SFO and valet was like $80.
It isn't nearly as crowded here and parking at its worst is $20.

Last edited:
I may do it for one day. I'm hoping DT SD is much easier to navigate than SF DT.

Its waaayyyyyy easier. Once you see how small SD DT is compared to SF DT. Taxis are harder to get here. The trolley is a joke.

I was raised in SD been traveling north and south of the 8. I'm jus trying to help dude out. I work in La Jolla and travel down. Every day.

I would agree with this. How much is your time worth? SD valet isn't anywhere close to SF valet. I was staying at the Hilton and Marriott. One was near SFO and valet was like $80.
It isn't nearly as crowded here and parking at its worst is $20.
Please believe me when I appreciate ALL input.

Well, if I'm not mistaken - You can call the yellow cab company and what not for them to meet you at __________ location, no?

I just plan to call them 45 minutes before leaving to our destination(s).

Back
Top Bottom