San Francisco mayor wants the Warriors back.

S.F. Mayor Ed Lee courts Golden State Warriors

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/05/13/BAR61OGTFK.DTL#ixzz1vBv7Qpy7

It's official - San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee is openly calling on the Golden State Warriors to jump the bay and return to San Francisco "in time for the 2017 NBA season."

In a letter also signed by all 11 city supervisors, the Port Commission, San Francisco's legislative contingent and a host of business and labor leaders, Lee told the team the city would "work with you to achieve this goal."

Nothing is official, but it's clear from the letter that the city is talking about a waterfront arena - most likely on Piers 30-32, the decrepit pier near the Bay Bridge now being used for parking.

The idea would be to get the arena built the same way the Giants' ballpark was down the street - with private financing.

The city sent the letter a few days after the mayor's meeting in Los Angeles with new Warriors owner (and Hollywood mogul) Peter Guber.

By happy coincidence for San Francisco, it also went out on the heels of state Controller John Chiang's demand that Oakland hand over $3.5 million in redevelopment money that the city had hoped to spend on planning a new sports complex that would include an arena.

Green vs. green: San Franciscans' enthusiasm for going green with "clean energy" in their own homes appears to be about as flat as the economy.

A recent poll of 3,500 residents by the city's Public Utilities Commission found that 52 percent would probably stay with Pacific Gas and Electric Co. That's just 3 percentage points more than in a similar poll taken last year.

Those willing to pay "a little bit more" for clean wind and solar power declined to 37 percent, from 45 percent the year before.

And that's after the estimated increase was dropped by more than half - from $14 more a month to just $6.

"There is a certain group of people who will buy organic or buy green, and others that don't have an interest," said PUC chief Ed Harrington. "We never thought it would be overwhelming, but there is a market."

The poll was conducted to test the market for the city's program. The Board of Supervisors is considering spending $19.5 million in startup funds on the project.

The plan calls for the city to contract with Shell Energy to buy the power, then deliver it through regular utility lines.

Ramos ruckus: Things got a bit testy the other day at a district attorney's press conference after the triple-murder conviction of gang member Edwin Ramos for the 2008 drive-by shootings of Tony Bologna and two of his sons in the Excelsior.

Bologna's widow, Danielle - who was in the courtroom for most of the four-month trial - had hoped to address the crush of reporters and cameras, but there was a catch.

She's still under witness protection, so prosecutors asked the TV people either to blur her face or simply not show it.

The request brought howls of protests from the deadline-harried TV newsies.

Upshot: The widow wasn't seen or heard on TV broadcasts afterward - but print reporters did interview her in a side room.

On the waterfront: After weeks of tactical delays and arm twisting, time appears to be running out for Board of Supervisors President David Chiu's efforts to kill a proposed 11-story condo project along his district's waterfront.

The 8 Washington project is opposed by nearby condo owners who would lose their views, as well as by some area businesses and the politically formidable Telegraph Hill Dwellers Association.

On the other side, the building trades, the port and Rose Pak - whose Chinatown nonprofits stand to benefit from the deal - have been pushing for approval.

There is more at stake here than just a building. In this case, it would be Chiu's first big loss as board president - with the double embarrassment of it being in his own district.

Scramble: Word that shoplifting state Assemblywoman Mary Hayashi is eyeing a run for Alameda County Supervisor Nadia Lockyer's vacated seat has political foes scrambling to find a candidate who wouldn't be packing so much baggage.

One of those contacted was former Assemblyman Alberto Torrico of Fremont, who has the plus of being of both Latino and Asian descent. But after weeks of mulling it over with his wife and kids, Torrico told us he's decided against it.

As for leaving the door wide open for Hayashi, who claims to have strong poll numbers despite having pleaded no contest to shoplifting charges in San Francisco last year?

"All I can say is: You can't poll a mug shot," Torrico said

Good move or bad?

SF wants to build an Arena if the Warriors move there or not. I'm all for the Warriors moving back to SF. Get rid of that stupid golden state name
pimp.gif

Been telling friends of mine that are Warrior fans the new ownership is all about maximizing there investment so SF only seems right. Sucks because there are a lot of fans that come to the Arena that travel 30 to 40 minutes now you want them to cross the bridge or pay extra for a bart ticket.

^there are also fans that come from SF to watch them....

PLEASE GOD MAKE THIS HAPPEN!! I WANT IT TO HAPPEN SO BAD!!!!!!!

Would love to see this happen! 
pimp.gif

The arena would be between Piers 30-32 on the Embarcadero just blocks from AT&T in one of the most beautiful locations in the country.

i think i'd be paying the same anyways if i take bart to oakland from sf compared to bart to embarcadero + muni fare to take me near the ball park.

Originally Posted by damnitzdom

Ed Lee trying to make up losing the 49ers 
laugh.gif
Add to the failure of securing those same ports for the America's Cup. 
Maybe the idea of having the arena privately funded would interest the people of San Francisco. I'll be in awe if this deal eventually goes through. Saying yes, to a new arena for a team that hasn't won a championship since the 70's...But saying no, to a 5x Super Bowl Champion team in the 49ers. Haha.

Gavin Newsom lost the 49ers, he had a sour relationship with the Yorks. As for the America's Cup, well, we all know the story between Larry Ellison and Chris Cohan.

Is San Francisco that much more awesome then where the arena is at in Oakland? I always thought the San Francisco was a tad nicer but its the Bay area isn't the whole area connected even more than NYC?

Why is this necessary?

The location of where the new arena would sit is far more convenient than where the W's play now. There's nothing to do around Oracle whereas the piers are closer to bars, restaurants, attractions, hotels, etc.

While it would be kinda cool to have a new stadium in the City especially where they are planning on putting it. The convenience of Oracle with Public Transportation BART will be lost.

Originally Posted by TheWindScar31

While it would be kinda cool to have a new stadium in the City especially where they are planning on putting it. The convenience of Oracle with Public Transportation BART will be lost.

need an extension, Montgomery is still a  20 min walk  to AT & T

Originally Posted by TheWindScar31

If they do build a stadium down by the Piers, taking Bart to Embarcadero and then either walk 10min or take a cab/bus or those metal cable cars. Lots of options.I hope they move to SF, maybe then we can start attracting some FA's.

As much as I would hate the Dubs moving to SF, it's probably the best move for them.

I would miss getting to Oracle in 10 mins (from where I live) but if this means the team getting more exposure (TV and free agent wise) then i'm all for it.

You can kinda tell this is the direction they were going- with the new unis; the bridge on the front, everything saying 'the city' and all that stuff.

SF would be better but it'll suck for Oakland because that means there's no revenue coming into that city (yes, i work for the gov't) which means less money to go around that'll lead to layoffs, and things not getting taken care of (i.e. potholes on the roads, missing street signs, and stop lights, etc.)

Having a new stadium next to AT&T Park would be awesome. Then they could really develop that area and turn it into a SF version of the Staples Center area? Could do wonders for the Warriors.

We might actually be able to get a quality free agent or two, instead of overpaying for garbage free agents.
Spoiler [+]
david-lee.jpg

This would be great but, embarcadero and Fisherman's Wharf is gonna be packed like #$%!. Hopefully they plan to put more stores in Herman plaza too.

Originally Posted by GSDOUBLEU

^there are also fans that come from SF to watch them....

PLEASE GOD MAKE THIS HAPPEN!! I WANT IT TO HAPPEN SO BAD!!!!!!!

Yes but those numbers are miniscule.

Not sure what to think about it.  The Warriors are almost always pretty much sold out for every home game.  The only positive is MAYBE, slight maybe, of attracting better free agents etc.  Financially though I don't see what the big deal is.  Everyone knows the Warriors are the Bay Area team so anyone that likes them already watches/has their gear etc.  Not seeing what moving to SF will do for the team?

“@GSWFastBreak: Sources: Warriors have finalized plans to move to San Francisco. Announcement could come as early as Tues. Pier 31/32 arena w/ private $$$.

Originally Posted by JumpmanFromDaBay

“@GSWFastBreak: Sources: Warriors have finalized plans to move to San Francisco. Announcement could come as early as Tues. Pier 31/32 arena w/ private $$$.

Back
Top Bottom