Scammed on Craigslist. Need Help.

I recently posted my first sale ad on Craigslist. Being a newbie to Craigslist, I was unaware of the scams that went on. Unfortunately, I was e-mailed by ascammer who wanted to pay by Bank Certified Check. At first, his e-mails looked like he was a legitmate buyer until I received his latest e-mail, which statedhis "secretary" accidentally made out the bank check for an enormously higher amount than the sale amount and wanted me to deposit the check thenwire the difference back. This is when I figured it was a scam and know not to deposit the check.

However, I provided this scammer with my address and now I really just want to wash my hands clean of this mess. What should I do with the check? Who shouldI report this to? What actions should I take?

laugh.gif
Dummy. You don't check your spam folder do you? This has beengoing on for the last 5 years.

Don't deposit the check. Throw it out.

LOL. You should have known better. If they don't sound like the usual buyer "hey Ill buy ___ for 50 bucks!"...Then avoid them. Most craigslistcustomers don't take the time to write a fullparagraph or two lmao.

Just destroy the check...them having your addy is nothing..

hell anybody can look up your address if they really wanted to.

anybody know how to search for stuff on a states wide basis or just by city/town basis? i tried looking for some shoes, and i can only search by city?

Not that I don't see the humor in this but dang, some of you are just ruthless... laughing at other people's demise. Y'alls are soulless.

Yes, I realize I wasn't thinking clearly but I just wanted to sell my stuff asap. In the end though, I caught it before any damage was done.

Thanks to those who helpfully responded.

Originally Posted by jumpfreak23

Not that I don't see the humor in this but dang, some of you are just ruthless... laughing at other people's demise. Y'alls are soulless.

Yes, I realize I wasn't thinking clearly but I just wanted to sell my stuff asap. In the end though, I caught it before any damage was done.

Thanks to those who helpfully responded.
U have to really think homie. Why would anybody mail a payment on Craigslist? The **+% is supposed to be local. If u aint meetin up w/ the ppl inan open area and they payin cash or certified money order, then u should know it's a gank move.

Speakin of which, whatever happend to the one NTer who got scammed for the PS3 money from some dude who dipped through the apt building? I forgot to check inon it

Frame the check and keep it next to your computer.
It'll remind you to think before you do anything on the internet

Back
Top Bottom