School Me On Eating Right.

balloonoboy

Banned
My diet has consisted of four large dominos pizzas over the past week. Prior to that, I was eating four packs of ramen a day, two big bowls of the generic cocoa pebbles (with whole milk), and a deli turkey sandwich in the interim. I drunk water here and there.

Something has got to give.

I'm not overweight or anything - 6' 0", 196. I also ball and take ballet to stay in shape, but the way I'm eating cannot do a body good.

I need help.

its hard to do with food prices inflating.....but I try and stick to the basics. Get some microwavable veggies...quick easy healthy. Whole grains, whole pasta, almond milk, nuts, fruits, stuff like that. Also cut red meat out of my diet completely.

http://caloriecount.about.com/

sign up for this and write down everything you eat...even if its cooked up post all the stuff in it individually

theres charts and graphs of how near or far you are from your daily intakes for protein/carbs/fats/fibre/sodium and all that

even if you dont do it everyday...do it for a full day....the chart messes you up cause chances are youre going to be lopsided on some stuff and its gonna make you feel like $%!% cause youve been eating this way for so long

my diet is even worse. i was good in the summer time when there was no class, so I was able to go to the gym regularly & cook & eat my own, healthy stuff (eggs,skim milk, steamed brown rice, chicken breast, salmon, lean steak, etc) but ever since school started back, the course load has been killing me & I haven't been able to carve any time out for the gym and i've been too tired to cook so my diet has suffered drastically: Krispy Kreme/IHOP for breakfast, McDonalds/Burger King/5 Guys for dinner. every day.
30t6p3b.gif
I want to stop, but the food is too delicious. oh well
images

Cooking your own food is a good way to make sure you know everything that's going into your body.

If you have the money, try getting some lean meats like chicken and just grilling them, throw on some pepper, lemon juice and maybe a small salad (with no dressing).

Once you get used to eating healthy, it becomes second nature and it makes you really hate eating crap

Its really not that hard to cook healthy you should no what is good for you. Cook fresh meats, fresh vegetables with all natural seasonings and flavors. Instead of eating a sugary snack just make a quick salad.

dude, 4 large dominos pizza in 1 week?! thats insane! cut back on the fast food, and cut out on the ramen. no nutritional value goes into your body when eating those noodles. Eating cereal is fine if you don't eat half the box per serving, and you can substitute whole milk with 1% milk. You won't taste much difference since the cereal will sweeten the milk. Turkey cold cuts is okay i guess, but try just cooking your own chicken cutlets instead, use somethin else instead of mayo, and put lettuce and tomatoes. Use whole wheat bread, but if your not used to it you can ease into the transition by using one whole wheat bread and one white bread. Cut back on soda and juice. Drink lots of water instead. If you do need to drink juice, look at how many grams of sugar it contains. Sometimes when i get sick of drinking water all the time and need something sweet, i either pour half a cup of juice, and the other half water, or i use a blender and make a fruit smoothie. And eat lots of fruits and veggies.

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

My diet has consisted of four large dominos pizzas over the past week. Prior to that, I was eating four packs of ramen a day, two big bowls of the generic cocoa pebbles (with whole milk), and a deli turkey sandwich in the interim. I drunk water here and there.

Something has got to give.

I'm not overweight or anything - 6' 0", 196. I also ball and take ballet to stay in shape, but the way I'm eating cannot do a body good.

I need help.
That's way too much sodium...If anything,don't use the flavor packets that comes with the ramen. Buy some chicken broth and use half of that with water for each bowl. Low sodium chicken broth is OK,but it has no flavor.

51z7%2BrssvwL._SL500_AA300_PIbundle-8,TopRight,0,0_AA300_SH20_.jpg

Scratch 'n Sniff... If it smells clean, eat it.
wink.gif

But seriously, I've always had a high metabolism so I've basically been able to eat what I want without gaining weight. I know that wont last forever so I want to start eating better but I don't know where to start.

Originally Posted by SneakerFr

my diet is even worse. i was good in the summer time when there was no class, so I was able to go to the gym regularly & cook & eat my own, healthy stuff (eggs,skim milk, steamed brown rice, chicken breast, salmon, lean steak, etc) but ever since school started back, the course load has been killing me & I haven't been able to carve any time out for the gym and i've been too tired to cook so my diet has suffered drastically: Krispy Kreme/IHOP for breakfast, McDonalds/Burger King/5 Guys for dinner. every day.
30t6p3b.gif
I want to stop, but the food is too delicious. oh well
images

I'm in the same boat I'm Like F it now............

When I cut out highly processed foods, I started to feel like I was eating "better" and more "right" for my body. I noticed that it made a difference because I just felt more energetic and didn't have that food coma feeling as often, despite my portions being relatively the same. It also just made more sense to me to eat more whole foods and get my nutrients through the freshest food I could get/afford. The way I did it is outlined below:

1) I steered clear of the usual food aisles and stuck to the produce and butcher sections of the market. The only times I would venture into food aisles was for pasta (I don't particularly like whole grain pasta, so I don't bother purchasing it so that it can sit around) and grains (granola, rice, and other bulk items).

2) I found some farmer's markets and CSA's (Community Supported Agriculture) to explore and talk to. Typically, the food is freshest when it's in season, and farmer's markets typically sell produce that is in season and probably harvested no more than a week before it gets to your kitchen. Also, you get to talk to the people who grow your food and if you can't afford their prices, you can help yourself financially if you're willing to get to know them and talk to them. I learned about how far my food traveled, when they picked it, and they were willing to give me a couple bucks off because I was a student.

3) I looked up recipes and learned how to use spices in my cooking to make things taste good. Here’s one for dinner, broken down by how much time you have: http://allrecipes.com/How...n-an-Instant/Detail.aspx . Normally, you don't see how much sugar/salt/oil is going into your food anyway, you just eat it. At least when you cook for yourself, you're the one who is controlling what you put in and how much of it. If you think you're going too heavy on the salt, you can control that, but if you know you like how it tastes with higher amounts of salt, then you can adjust accordingly. I never realized how much salt goes into food to make it taste good, or how much butter you have to lather on, or how much sugar goes into tea, it's enlightening.

4) Based off the recipes, I'd make shopping lists for the grocery store and just stock up one day a week to make food for the week. There are recommendations and other resources on how to do this out there on the web. I recall seeing Men's Health with one not too long ago. But it's more satisfying when you pick out what you want to eat.

5) I knew there would be times where I would need to eat conveniently and quickly. I knew that eating non-processed food at home is time consuming and takes work, so I made a list of the freshest places to eat in my area when I didn't feel like cooking. I split the restaurants up into sections depending on how pricey it was and whether it was a sit down restaurant and was able to decide from there. And every now and again, I know that I will just want some fast food so I'll go and grab a burger or some friend chicken. It is what it is, no need to feel guilty. Sometimes Bojangles or a burger, fries, and a Coke just hit the spot.

6) I failed at several dishes and just had to suck it up and eat something that you would have to pay me to eat. But after the first couple of weeks and improvements/experiments at cooking, everything started to taste better. When it started to become a habit, something that I did everyday and was relatively good at, cooking and eating became enjoyable.

Hmm, didn't mean to write so much, but eh, perhaps I'll turn this into a blog post. Hope this helps!

It's really not that hard:

Breakfast - eat something with whole grains, oatmeal, good cereal (switch to almond or soy milk), etc. mix in some flax seeds and either grapes, raisins or strawberries.
Brunch - have a banana or orange.
Lunch - get a sandwich (dress your multigrain bread with olive oil, oregano and black pepper) or salad (instead of using dressings go with olive oil)
Dinch - either a piece of fruit (make sure it's a different color from every other piece of fruit you've eaten that day) or some almonds.
Dinner - something freshly made like a lean piece of meat/fish accompanied with a small portion of white/brown rice, spinach (or any of the other greens), and either a sweet potato (those and carrots are great for your prostate) or some other colorful vegetable.
Final meal - whichever you didn't eat for dinch and make sure you don't eat anything after 8 (9 if you stay up late).

A bottle of water should be accompanied with every meal (breakfast you could have juice, tea or black coffee) so you stay hydrated throughout the day.

do yall drink naked juices? (pause) i wanna know if they're healthy or not i've been drinking them and it seems to be alright just trying to supplement soda though
ohwell.gif

fresh-n-easy.jpg

and Trader Joes, I'm always buying their veggies.  I usually just buy a piece of chicken breast from Pollo Loco and call it dinner.  Relatively inexpensive.

Fast food is awesome and it's cheap...but so bad for you
ohwell.gif

you should start off by slowing substituting products for healthier choices and learn portion control.

For instance, if you are going to eat Dominoes ask for no butter on the crust and light cheese, avoid pepperoni and sausage and sub in ham which is a much healthier alternative or better yet veggies.

i tried eating healthy. starting eating a lot of pasta and fruits but i just don't feel full if i dont eat some sort of meat (no ayo) like a burger or something. help?
nerd.gif

Back
Top Bottom