School me on refurbished laptops.

I'm about to buy a laptop but I'm looking at the price and specs of some of these refurbished laptops and it's making me 
eek.gif

My friend said not to buy refurbished laptops because viruses could run deep and if the laptop had problems in the past then why would it not have problems now?
But then my other friend said that they're as good as new, basically.
I don't know who to listen to, so I trust NT. 

Side note: What are some good sub $1000 laptops?
INB4 KAWP MACBOOK PRO.

Just get a new one man. For under $1k, you can find yourself a good laptop.

I know there is a lot of hate for refurbished laptops.  Yes, on one hand there are things that can go wrong, however, most of the time refurbs will be perfectly alright.  I can only speak from experience, I have purchased 2 refurbished units from Dell.  One was a desktop that lasted me from 2005 and is still running today.  I had a Macbook but it actually died on me after a few years, so recently I purchased a Dell Inspiron 14R from the Dell Outlet.  Core i5 6GB RAM and a 500 GB 7200 RPM HD, Intel WiDi and 1GB dedicated graphics for 489, it might not be the thinnest and lightest out there, but for that price I thought it was a great deal and hopefully like the desktop, I won't run into any problems.  

I haven't had any problems with the refurbished laptop I purchased. The good news was they fixed the keyboard defects that people reported and I got it for around $300 cheaper than I would if If I ordered it brand new. If you put a refurbished laptop in front of someone and a brand new laptop most people won't know the difference. A lot of the times nothing is wrong with the refurbished item, it might have just been returned because people found something better or the product wasn't what the consumer expected it to be. If you order it and don't like it just send it back asap.

Originally Posted by ChiHigh91

My friend said not to buy refurbished laptops because viruses could run deep and if the laptop had problems in the past then why would it not have problems now?
Incorrect.

It's a hit or miss with refurb products, though some may be even like new, some may have wear and tear, I got a refurb monitor for my comp before, and other than the box smelling like soil, the thing looked brand new and everything, they usually come with a long enough warranty that if it isn't any good, they can get you another one.

My last laptop was a Toshiba. It was refurbished. Still runs. The only thing I had an issue with was the fan and the inverter, but I carried that thing EVERYWHERE. I've dropped it a lot too. You're good refurbished. Just keep tabs on the warranty and etc.

I was looking into this as well. Thanks for the insight. Now my only question is how do I school myself on laptops
nerd.gif
?

Originally Posted by ddrombo

I know there is a lot of hate for refurbished laptops.  Yes, on one hand there are things that can go wrong, however, most of the time refurbs will be perfectly alright.  I can only speak from experience, I have purchased 2 refurbished units from Dell.  One was a desktop that lasted me from 2005 and is still running today.  I had a Macbook but it actually died on me after a few years, so recently I purchased a Dell Inspiron 14R from the Dell Outlet.  Core i5 6GB RAM and a 500 GB 7200 RPM HD, Intel WiDi and 1GB dedicated graphics for 489, it might not be the thinnest and lightest out there, but for that price I thought it was a great deal and hopefully like the desktop, I won't run into any problems.  

link to your laptop
nerd.gif

or the i5 Samsung Q480 (or is it 430) for about 7. And I have generally never had trouble with refurbished laptops or electronic items. There's a few sellers on eBay in particular who sell nothing but returns, out of season, etc. from Best Buy and you can score some outright steals from them. You can even purchase an extended warranty direct from whereever you buy it from or SquareTrade if you are really that concerned.

Couldn't find my exact one, Dell Outlet, they restock frequently and a lot of there more powerful systems tend to sell out faster here is a similar one http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnline...px?rn=9897&SC=lowToHigh&c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh

Specs:

• Inspiron 15R
  • Processor: Intel Core i5-460M Processor (3M cache, 2.53 GHz)
  • Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium
  • 640 GB SATA II Hard Drive (5400 RPM)
  • 6 GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHZ
  • 8X DVD RW Drive
  • 1 GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD550v, 64-Bit, DDR3
Total $619.00

Dell 20% off coupon Laptops - BP6SM900JMH74L - 20% off

Total Price 495.20

Edit: Already sold.  Go to Delloutlet.com, Slickdeals says they usually refresh during the night.

Back
Top Bottom