School me on San Luis Obispo

I'm moving up North to San Luis Obispo for the summer with my girlfriend because we're both taking summer school out there. My girlfriend regularlygoes to Cal Poly SLO but she hasn't done too much outside of the party scene. Any things to do out there? Like activity wise or any place nearby anybodyrecommend to go to? Let me know some things! All the help will be appreciated! Thanks!

I think they have a farmer's market that you can go to.
laugh.gif

Honestly, there isnt much to do from what I know. I was in Pismo Beach a little while ago and didnt have much luck. Other than the local party scene I dontknow of much else to do around there!

I lived there for 2 years and all there is to do is party and goto the beach. Santa Barbara is about 1.5 hours down south and they got some decent shopping.Thats about it.

Eats - Firestone, Cracked Crab (in Pismo)

last time i was around there..bunch of us went ATV riding and ate clam chowder at pismo.
e2236f1212b60a9013e74fafcb4053a6a8ee8d7a.jpg
b19264319e0df171461cb25299f0f23d024024a0.jpg

if this seems like something you'd be interested in, PM me and i'll let you know the prices we paid or whatever.

^^my MAC makes my Safari not respond every time I try to PM you.. so if you can, PM me. Thanks.

i graduated from Cal Poly SLO in 2000 and lived there for 5 years. plenty of stuff to do....kayaking in Morro Bay, ATV'ing in Pismo, hot springs in Avila,Hiking in SLO, wine tasting in Paso Robles, there's a water park in Paso Robles also. A minature golf place in Santa Maria. farmers market on Thursdaynights. there's a rock climbing facility in SLO also.

^Lets not forget Hearst's Castle.....next time i visit my boys in SLO we're gonna spend the night there, somehow.

Now thats the stuff i wanted to hear! haha. I completely forgot about Hearst Castle and i heard Morro Bay is a beautiful place. I'm thinking of havingdinner along the beach at Morro and see the sunrise there on my 1 year anniversary with my gf.

im at calpoly right now as i type.

im from sf, and i think its hella boring over here.
nothing real to do, maxed out everything in a year. i come back to sf every weekend, and i want to transfer out badly.
doesnt help that theres hardly any diversity and its pretty much isolated from anything, just a bunch of cow fields and farms (hence the AG college).

personally, i hate it here. i like the program tho, just wish it was somewhere else.

as for things to do, not much but a lot of parties, pismo beach/sand dunes, and rock climbing/hiking.
food is great, best farmer's market anywhere (but thats not saying much).

The only thing I remember from out there is JOCKOS Burgers, or something like that. In Nopomo. best BLT I ever had, lol

Originally Posted by jon920

im at calpoly right now as i type.

im from sf, and i think its hella boring over here.
nothing real to do, maxed out everything in a year. i come back to sf every weekend, and i want to transfer out badly.
doesnt help that theres hardly any diversity and its pretty much isolated from anything, just a bunch of cow fields and farms (hence the AG college).

personally, i hate it here. i like the program tho, just wish it was somewhere else.

as for things to do, not much but a lot of parties, pismo beach/sand dunes, and rock climbing/hiking.
food is great, best farmer's market anywhere (but thats not saying much).

i felt the same way my first year there. but after a couple years, you figure out who your true friends, discover new places and meet new people....and itgets less boring. i mean if you're a student you have all day access to the rec center so you can workout, play ball and swim. bbq'ing and hangingwith the homies. going out meeting new girls. plenty of record stores. i know from a shopping and partying perspective it gets old quick but thats why yougotta meet new people...you'll get to experience new things.

Be prepared to make drives if you want to see and experience new things. It's a cool place to be for a while, but things get old quick. At least there isusually decent weather and there is always the beach! BTW I happen to think Avila is a much nicer beach and usually has better weather than Pismo and MorroBay, but Pismo usually has a younger crowd. 4th of July at Pismo is
pimp.gif
. There is always a TON of people there to watch the fireworks show. Also the outletsthere are okay. Nothing spectacular at all though.

To add to Jaw Knee C's list of things to check out:
Oso Flaco Lake in Guadalupe is pretty cool. There's a little walk you can take on a bridge right over the lake. You can get a little guided tour andthey'll show you Native American ruins. The dunes there are also pretty awesome to go ATVing. Garibaldi's in Guad is supposed to be good Mexican food.Far Western Tavern is a good steakhouse. Otherwise there is nothing there
laugh.gif

Santa Maria has a Boomers which is cool but it's pretty run down and not very big. Still something to do I guess. There is also the PCPA Theaterfest at thelocal CC. They do pretty good shows and Ragtime is on this summer which I heard is going to be a really good show. There is also the Drive In which is prettycool since it's only $6.50 a person and you get the two movies. There aren't too many of those around anymore so it's a cool experience if youhaven't already been to one. There is also a "mall". We'll leave it at that
laugh.gif
. As far as good eats: Straw Hat Pizza has the best Pizza!!Taco de Mexico has good Mexican food. Sushi and Teriyaki has good sushi and such.

If you can drive a little further south, Solvang is a pretty neat town to check out. They have strong Danish ties so the architecture is awesome and it hascute little shops in the "downtown" area. Neat place to walk around and experience for a little.

Santa Barbara is also recommended, but it's a drive and really I say a little overrated.

Paso Robles has Lack Nacimiento. If you know or can hook up with someone with a boat you gotta go! There's always a good amount of young people there onany given day.

Not much to do, but still a cool place to be. You just gotta be willing to explore.

Hmm, this discussion might have been of true interest to me had I not been so harshly dropped from their waiting list after months of patiently waiting to hearback. My friend goes ATVing in Pismo though, and he said that clam chowder there is crack. I think I might've enjoyed this place though. I love beautifulweather and it's not like I go shopping everyday, it's the simple things that please me.

Back
Top Bottom