School me on the BMW 325i 2001 Updated With Pics

John Wick

formerly jayzonmytoes
Wassup NT im in the market for a used car... got 10 racks to blow... but i been leaning towards the 2001 BMW 325i.. I know how NT loves the BMW's

so my question is is there anybody on here that owns one? If so how do you like it and what do you not like about that model and year??

also is there any other cars worth taking a look at for that much?

thanks in advance

The problem with those is that you're buying a 10 year old BMW.

You need to make sure that you have the money to look after it - at that age things will go wrong and they're not cheap to fix.

yea but also the model im looking at is flawless and only has 50k miles on it... plus would the maintenance on a 10 year old car still be expensive?

Originally Posted by JayzOnMyToes

yea but also the model im looking at is flawless and only has 50k miles on it... plus would the maintenance on a 10 year old car still be expensive?

Yes. And it is not so much that it is a 10 year old car but it is a 10 year old BMW.
You cant take it to any mechanic and get it worked on or even get parts for that matter if something needs to be replaced.
50k on a 10 year old car is good but I would still save for a newer model or maybe even something different. There are plenty of deals to be found with 10gs.

thanks for the advice... but i been looking everywhere for a good deal on cars and 10gs really cant find me anything that looks good and if it does look good than it usually has a crap load of miles....

but if i was to save more for a newer model than, if that one breaks down than im pretty sure that newer model is going to cost more than the older model plus the insurance would be higher aswell for the newer one.... im just saying...

Just know that BMW always knocks you on maintenance...especially the older ones....

Originally Posted by kdawg

The problem with those is that you're buying a 10 year old BMW.

You need to make sure that you have the money to look after it - at that age things will go wrong and they're not cheap to fix.
Yes....for the love of all things good.  Do yourself a favor and don't waste your hard earned 10 grand on a used BMW.  Buy something thats newer and more low-key.  Resist the temptation.  Please
Here is a great article from automobile magazine exploring the world-of-hurt that a used european car can be.

Two of the better quotes from that particular article:

"This is a well-known maxim, but it bears repeating: a $70,000 car may depreciate to eighteen grand, but it's still a $70,000 car whenever anything breaks."               

and...

"To recap, nobody thinks your nine-year-old car is pimpin' "

As someone who has driven mulitple BMWs....let me tell you...luxury cars are just that: luxuries.  If you can't stomach a thousand dollars here and there throughout the year, don't even burden yourself.

Originally Posted by JayzOnMyToes

I've had a 2001 BMW 325i since 05' and the amount of repairs I've put into it is ridiculous.
sick.gif

I still love it though.

that was a good article got me rethinking... well since everybody is against buying this car... could someone recommend me a car??

$10k can buy you a lot of trouble free motoring too - but that's probably not a 10 year old German car.

but i also don't want a car payment.... and i can't seem to find any car 10gs or less that has less than 100k miles and isn't a bucket

Get a 04-08 Acura tsx. I bought a 05 with 75k miles and with 150k miles now in 3years all I had to replace is the water pump for $150. It's extremely easy to work on and all you need is the basic oil changes and you have a good car.

I don't know where you are (and your IP comes up as Armed Forces) but here's a quick look on Autotrader.com.

I picked a zip code and went within 5,000 miles, $10k or less, 100,000 or less and I got this:

http://www.autotrader.com...AND_SE&rdm=1318264888560

You can see that you can get something like a 5 year old Toyota or Honda for that - which shouldn't cause you any problems.

It won't be a BMW - but it will be a better car and a better purchase. And, like that article said, no-one cares that you're driving a BMW when it's 10 years old.

Originally Posted by kdawg

I don't know where you are (and your IP comes up as Armed Forces) but here's a quick look on Autotrader.com.

I picked a zip code and went within 5,000 miles, $10k or less, 100,000 or less and I got this:

http://www.autotrader.com...AND_SE&rdm=1318264888560

You can see that you can get something like a 5 year old Toyota or Honda for that - which shouldn't cause you any problems.

It won't be a BMW - but it will be a better car and a better purchase. And, like that article said, no-one cares that you're driving a BMW when it's 10 years old.

yea I'm currently over seas.. bout to head back to the states soon and need a whip..... thanks for the help NT

Originally Posted by Oh YoU MaD

Get a 04-08 Acura tsx. I bought a 05 with 75k miles and with 150k miles now in 3years all I had to replace is the water pump for $150. It's extremely easy to work on and all you need is the basic oil changes and you have a good car.

yea the tsx was my original pick i want a 2009 tho
pimp.gif
.... but i wouldn't mind a real clean 04-08

Im in the same boat as you bruh....the fam just had an 03 or 04 5 series and I really loved how that thing drove....so its not even all about the status cause Bimmers are nice cars...we didn't have too many problems with it either

so Im just gonna wait and see what I find the best deal on.

I wanted a used 3 series a couple years ago but decided against it because of the maintenance costs. Yeah you can get the car fairly cheap used but once that first repair comes up you'll kick yourself for buying a car like this. If i were to get a BMW i'd go new cause of the warranty. Are you strictly looking at luxury coupes/sedans. If you are you've come to the right place cause dudes here get wet over anything BMW/Infiniti/Acura.

Back
Top Bottom