See you later Beckham

LONDON - David Beckham's proposed loan move to AC Milan could be more than just a temporary deal and might mean "arrivederci" for good to thePosh 'n Becks show in America. At a time when Major League Soccer will be in its off-season and Beckham isn't playing for the Los Angeles Galaxy, hebadly needs competitive action to keep his spot on the England squad. AC Milan president Adriano Galliani said Wednesday the club is close to finalizing a dealfor Beckham to join the Italian side in January and play in Serie A for a few months before returning to Los Angeles. But there could be more to Beckham'smove to Milan, a glamorous city as famous for its fashion industry as for soccer and opera. It could be an ideal new home for Beckham and his wife Victoria,the Spice Girl now heavily into promoting her own fashion lines. If her husband teams up at Milan with the likes of Brazilian stars Ronaldinho and Kaka, itwill raise his profile back in Europe again. It would also increase his own commercial earnings. Milan could consider transforming the loan deal into apermanent move and buy out the remainder of Beckham's five-year contract with the Galaxy, for whom his appearances and performances have been inconsistent.Beckham announced his move to the Galaxy in January 2007, although he didn't start playing for the team until July of that year after the conclusion of hiscontract with Real Madrid. Although Beckham's move to America was greeted by hype and hoopla, it has hardly been a major success. Beckham hobbled into MLSwith an ankle injury that kept him sidelined for weeks and, although his arrival was responsible for a big hike in sales of tickets and merchandise, his impacton the field was minimal. For the second year in a row, Los Angeles has failed to make it to the MLS playoffs after a season when the president/general managerwho took him there, Alexi Lalas, was fired. In his short spell, Beckham has played under three coaches, Frank Yallop, Ruud Gullit and Bruce Arena. Four, if youcount stand-in Cobi Jones, who took charge of one game before Arena replaced Gullit. Such a history suggests Beckham could be going nowhere with the Galaxy,despite his salary of US$6.5 million a year - twice that of the next highest earner. Although Beckham and his family are friends and neighbours with anothercelebrity couple, Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes, the former England captain may consider his soccer career could stagnate if he stays in Los Angeles. A return toEurope, where he won six Premier League titles, two FA Cups and the Champions League with Manchester United and the Spanish league with Real Madrid, wouldcertainly mean the chance of more medals. Milan is climbing in the Serie A title race and doing well in the UEFA Cup. The Italian club is a seven-time winnerof European football's most prestigious club competition, now known as the Champions League, and Beckham would join a star-studded lineup - Ronaldinho,Kaka, Andriy Shevchenko, Paolo Maldini, Alessandro Nesta, Andrea Pirlo, Gennaro Gattuso and Filippo Inzaghi. With his trademark free kicks and accurate passes,Beckham would fit in well in that company. He would also stand a good chance of keeping his place on the England squad, now under the guidance of hugelysuccessful former AC Milan coach Fabio Capello, who also was his coach at Real Madrid. "I advised Galliani to take Beckham because he'll only help thesquad, compared to other players which in some cases are a risk," said former Milan and Italy coach Arrigo Sacchi, who also had a spell as sportingdirector at Real Madrid when the former England captain was there. "Beckham is a great professional and an exceptional guy. He's not going to be abother, and if he's still the player I knew a few years ago, he'll give something extra to the team. "In the past, great players like Rivaldo andRonaldo weren't able to insert themselves, but I think Beckham will work well reciprocally, for him and for the team. When I coached I tried to bring inthe youngest and most ready people I could find. But there are always exceptions, and Beckham is one." Beckham hasn't started any of England'sfour World Cup qualifying victories so far, although Capello brought him on as a late substitute each time. That means the 33-year-old Beckham is still in histhoughts. But Capello had made it clear to Beckham and other players that he does not select those who are not in regular competitive action. With Englandfriendlies to come against Germany in November and Spain and Slovakia early next year, Beckham doesn't want to lose his place before World Cup qualifyingresumes against Ukraine on April 1 and Kazakhstan and Andorra in June. A move to Europe and regular starts for Milan would help him stay on course for what hehopes would be a fourth World Cup in South Africa in 2010. If he stays in MLS with the Galaxy, Beckham might end up watching it on TV.

meh, a lot of people saw this coming.

It's not so much Beckham's wanting to leave as it is AC Milan really eager to buy him because they feel LA's ready to part ways. The fact that Poshhas a clothing line is just a coincidence that plays up the "legitimacy" of the rumor. Beckham wont want to leave on a low note from LA because itcan only tarnish his legacy, but if AC offers enough it'll probably happen.

I thought he was done with Euro play, that's why he came to the states right?

He said that, but he still wants to play for the English Nat'l team, and to do so he has to pretty much earn his way on since he's been relegated to being an alternate. To do so he has to show consistency and usefulness against good comp. And MLS is going into its offseason. Him being inactive all winter isnt going to help him.

This isnt a new idea. He was linked to numerous clubs in the past, especially in England (Newcastle, Arsenal.) AC Milan was supposedly the frontrunner to signhim after his Madrid deal expired so not surprising.

He still has England National Team ambitions. The primary motive is to perform in Serie A (better competition, they're in the UEFA Cup, closer to England)in order to better his chances to become a fixture under Fabio Capello.

As far as Milan, this is an grand marketing opportunity. Even if it'll be a few months, Beckham brings in cash.

he's only on loan... just treat it like "winterball"...

frankly, I thought it'd be Arsenal... it'd be strange seeing him in an Arsenal kit though... it should be good for both parties... Becks wants to staysharp, while AC can reap the financial benefits...

Originally Posted by SinnerP

he's only on loan... just treat it like "winterball"...

frankly, I thought it'd be Arsenal... it'd be strange seeing him in an Arsenal kit though... it should be good for both parties... Becks wants to stay sharp, while AC can reap the financial benefits...
I figure it'll end up being the nowadays typical loan+sign option deal when it's all said and done

dam..beckham,ronaldinho & kaka on the same squad, good look

Pato too
smokin.gif

I didn't read the article, but right now the talk is a loan move because Capello said he needed to be playing during the season to be considered forEngland. I'd imagine that MLS would be very, very reluctant to sell him considering that would basically mark the Beckham experiment as a failure and itwould make it less likely that other named players would come over here.

beckham, RONALDINHO GAUCHO, pato and kaka = beast mode.

^Funny a few posts up someone mentions Arsenal, I'm looking at the stadium from my flat right now. I can't blame him for trying to play in Milanthough, it's just keeping form in the offseason for him, why not?

did you guys really think, Beckham would be loyal to the contract. Please, it was a money tactic, and I guarantee he did not envision himself finishing hiscareer in the MLS.

Please go back Becks!

Originally Posted by Lootpac

I didn't read the article, but right now the talk is a loan move because Capello said he needed to be playing during the season to be considered for England. I'd imagine that MLS would be very, very reluctant to sell him considering that would basically mark the Beckham experiment as a failure and it would make it less likely that other named players would come over here.

I think this experiment became a failure when he didn't make his debut as scheduled due to being injured and missing his first season as a result.

Originally Posted by JDB1523

^Funny a few posts up someone mentions Arsenal, I'm looking at the stadium from my flat right now. I can't blame him for trying to play in Milan though, it's just keeping form in the offseason for him, why not?
Well Arsenal was mentioned because he trained there last season during the MLS offseason. and Yes I'm mad that you live in the Highburyestates(I'm assuming thats where you are.)

beckham, RONALDINHO GAUCHO, pato and kaka = beast mode.
Yeah!!! Maybe they can make the UEFA Cup for the second year in a row!!!!!

^ ouch.

I don't think its a great idea. Beckham at 33 is well past his days, besides Milan have enough midfield. They should concentrate on signing new youngdefenders. Ramos is apparently on the list for Galliani, but I don't think he will leave Madrid.

All due respect to Beckham, but im not for this move. Milan will definitely earn mega bucks of his persona, but thats probably about it...

^ AC's in a bit financial trouble, so from that perspective, it might be worth it for them...

as for the speculation that his is a permanent move, I know thats usually how 'loans' end up, but I think the MLS and Galaxy have invested too much onhim to let him just leave like that... AC probably won't have the funds to make him a permanent player as well...

just saw this too... http://soccernet.espn.go....mp;sec=europe&cc=4716

MLS insist Beckham move will only be short term
By Soccernet staff

October 23, 2008

Major League Soccer have insisted David Beckham will be back with LA Galaxy ahead of the new season next April, meaning the player's loan move to AC Milan will only be short-term.

And although the move seems all but signed and sealed, Galaxy general manager and head coach Bruce Arena has expressed doubts about the wisdom of the temporary transfer - while appearing to be completely in the dark about the loan agreement.

The former England captain, contracted to LA Galaxy until 2012, is in talks over a move to the Italian giants in January once the transfer window reopens. The regular MLS season finishes this weekend and with Galaxy out of the running for a place in the play-offs Beckham would be restricted to a promotional tour of New Zealand until the next US domestic campaign.

But Beckham is eager to remain in the thoughts of England coach Fabio Capello and believes that by returning to Europe he can both remain match fit and prove he is still able to perform at the highest level.

There had been talk that Beckham would play in Serie A for the remainder of the campaign and then possibly join the club on a permanent basis, but MLS are confident he will be in the white of Galaxy again at the end of March meaning Beckham will be at the San Siro for two to three months.

It would be a similar agreement to the one which saw Henrik Larsson move to Manchester United from Helsingborgs for 10 weeks in January 2007, though the move was hardly a huge success as the Swede scored just once in seven appearances.

"Discussions have taken place between AC Milan and the Los Angeles Galaxy regarding the possibility of a short-term loan agreement that would allow David Beckham to play for AC Milan during the MLS off season,'' MLS commissioner Don Garber said.

"Those discussions are ongoing. David remains an LA Galaxy player and will be here for the start of the 2009 MLS season."

Arena, meanwhile, told the Los Angeles Times he felt it was an "odd" move for both the club and the 33-year-old. Galaxy themselves have so far declined to comment on any possible deal.

"On the surface, it sounds like an odd proposition,'' Arena said. "I don't see where that benefits MLS or the Galaxy. I don't know if there's anything true in the rumour.

"The first I heard about it was today (Wednesday)... but I would think [given] the position the Galaxy is in and [the fact that] we're rebuilding our team and trying to have a successful year, it would seem very odd to me if we were loaning out our top players at the start of the season.

"It would seem pretty odd to me to operate that way.''

Wow, don't mind if he plays for AC. I prefer inter but hey, if it benefits the Galaxy it's all gravy. There should be a clause that states if he getsinjured, Milan is responsible for her salary or give us Pato.

There should be a clause that states if he gets injured, Milan is responsible for her salary or give us Pato.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
They would probably rather pay Beckham's salary for the next 10 years than give up Pato

It would be a similar agreement to the one which saw Henrik Larsson move to Manchester United from Helsingborgs for 10 weeks in January 2007, though the move was hardly a huge success as the Swede scored just once in seven appearances.

don't remind me
smh.gif

Why does this bum get so much media attention? He hasn't been any good since Sir Alex dumped him.

He's going to be useless with Milan, they already have arguably the best midfield in Europe. Look at his team's record in the MLS, 2nd last place withthis bum
sick.gif

Back
Top Bottom