She's Gotta Have It [A Netflix CANCELLED | A Spike Lee Joint]

I first saw the header on Netflix and having just glanced...thought it was just the OG.

Few episodes in...not bad. I know this show gonna have insecure ****** in their feels in here.

Season closed on a STRONG note. The Thanksgiving episode :wow:

No man who isn't rich could ever attempt some **** like that

Loved the idea for the show and the women who starred in it. But it was a bit far-fetched to have those dudes acting like that knowing they weren't the only ones IMO

Spike Lee’s ‘She’s Gotta Have It’ Renewed For Season 2
sghi_101_unit_02425r.jpg

https://deadline.com/2018/01/shes-gotta-have-it-renewed-season-2-spike-lee-dewanda-wise-1202234150/

She’s Gotta Have It is about to get some more. The show’s creator Spike Lee and starDeWanda Wise, who plays Nola Darling in the TV adaptation of Lee’s 1986 indie film, made the announcement that the series has been renewed for a second season.

Lee rang in the new year by making the announcement via an Instagram video while Wise also took to the social media platform to celebrate the news with a picture of herself from season one and the caption, “Back ta werq! Season [2] is OFFICIAL!!! Can’t wait to return to BK. Congrats to [all of us].”

The updated TV version of Lee’s groundbreaking film keeps with the spirit of the source material, giving a provocative mix of drama and comedy. The series, which garnered positive reviews, marks Lee’s first foray into series television.

Wise’s Nola Darling is an uncompromising woman in her late twenties living in Brooklyn, struggling to define herself and divide her time among her friends, her job, and her lovers. Lee created and produced the show and directed all 10 episodes of the first season which was released last year on Thanksgiving weekend. Tonya Lewis Lee is executive producer. Barry Michael Cooper and Lynn Nottage are also producers.

The series also stars Cleo Anthony, Lyriq Bent, Anthony Ramos, Heather Headley, Margot Bingham, Chyna Layne, and Elise Hudson.

dewanda wise is so damn fine, i'm glad we're FINALLY getting season 2!!!

She was initially playing Maria Rambeau in Captain Marvel.

'She's Gotta Have It' Canceled at Netflix; Spike Lee to Shop Series
The comedy ran for two seasons at the streamer.

shes_gotta_have_it-spike_lee-inset-h_2019_0.jpg

Netflix; Getty Images
'She's Gotta Have It' (Inset: Spike Lee)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...eled-at-netflix-spike-lee-shop-series-1225153

She's Gotta Have It is ending on Netflix.

The streaming giant has canceled the contemporary update of Spike Lee's 1986 feature film after two seasons. Lee, who owns the IP, is expected to shop the scripted comedy to other outlets.

"Spike Lee is one of the greatest filmmakers of all time and we’re thrilled he brought the series She’s Gotta Have It to Netflix. While this is our last season, we're very proud that it will be on our service for years to come, and excited to be working with Spike on his upcoming Netflix film Da 5 Bloods," Netflix chief content officer Ted Sarandos said Wednesday in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter.

The news arrives less than two months after the sophomore season of the comedy starring breakout DeWanda Wise and Anthony Ramos returned on Netflix.

She's Gotta Have It marks the latest short-lived series to get the ax at Netflix. After the streamer canceled One Day at a Time following a three-season run, new information about its approach to new vs. returning series emerged. The company, which does not release specific viewership data, approaches renewals and cancellations with a viewing vs. cost approach — basically, if a new season of a returning series will continue to bring in new subscribers or if the streamer is better served allocating those financial resources to new projects instead. Season two of the show currently has a 67 percent rating among critics on RottenTomatoes.com.

She's Gotta Have It joins other short-lived series at Netflix including Santa Clarita Diet (canceled after three seasons), Friends From College, American Vandal and Between (two and done), among others.

Still, the company remains in business with Lee via his upcoming film Da 5 Bloods, its fourth collaboration with the writer, director and producer following She's Gotta Have It, Rodney King and See You Yesterday.

The streamer has come under fire of late for its penchant of cancelling scripted originals focused on underserved communities (including One Day at a Time). Netflix is currently embroiled in a salary dispute with the stars of On My Block, who are seeking sizable pay increases. Netflix head of originals Cindy Holland previously told THR that the company remains committed to stories focused on underrepresented communities with programming including Dear White People, Family Reunion, On My Block, Madam CJ Walker, its Emmy-nominated When They See Us and multiple films, among others.

There's a lot of people claiming that season 2 wasn't as good as season 1. I find myself struggling to get through the second season as well.

Back
Top Bottom