Shocker: Consumer Ratings, ATT worst US provider

144552-consumer_reports_carrier_ratings.jpg

I've been on all 4 major US carriers...in order from Verizon, Sprint, T Mobile and now AT&T. Would probably rank them in that order as far as call quality. I know that VZW and Sprint use CDMA technology and T Mo/AT&T are using GSM. Never really experienced dropped calls galore until I started using T Mo and AT&T. Normally I do a lot of traveling from coast to coast and all in between, so I'm not just basing this on network quality around my neighborhood. 

6 months into my AT&T contract, and I really do feel as if it is the worst network overall. I'm not one to talk on the phone (prob used like 40 minutes last month
laugh.gif
) but still I when I travel it's not uncommon for me to only have a few bars of service or drive through a dead zone area where I either drop a call or can't get any signal at all. Luckily my phone works when I need to make my weekly phone call, and I have a lovely discount where I only pay close to $70 per month. 

I wonder if these results will change when VSW gets the iPhone 
laugh.gif

144552-consumer_reports_carrier_ratings.jpg

I've been on all 4 major US carriers...in order from Verizon, Sprint, T Mobile and now AT&T. Would probably rank them in that order as far as call quality. I know that VZW and Sprint use CDMA technology and T Mo/AT&T are using GSM. Never really experienced dropped calls galore until I started using T Mo and AT&T. Normally I do a lot of traveling from coast to coast and all in between, so I'm not just basing this on network quality around my neighborhood. 

6 months into my AT&T contract, and I really do feel as if it is the worst network overall. I'm not one to talk on the phone (prob used like 40 minutes last month
laugh.gif
) but still I when I travel it's not uncommon for me to only have a few bars of service or drive through a dead zone area where I either drop a call or can't get any signal at all. Luckily my phone works when I need to make my weekly phone call, and I have a lovely discount where I only pay close to $70 per month. 

I wonder if these results will change when VSW gets the iPhone 
laugh.gif

How did US Cellular as a whole rank at 82 yet none of the carriers got above a 74?

I have ATT it sucks. Drop tons of calls. But I love my jailbroken iphone. But if iphone goes to verizon best believe I am jumping ship.

How did US Cellular as a whole rank at 82 yet none of the carriers got above a 74?

I have ATT it sucks. Drop tons of calls. But I love my jailbroken iphone. But if iphone goes to verizon best believe I am jumping ship.

You pay 70$ on ATT with a discount? Thats the standard Sprint price and they don't cap your usage of data like every other carrier uses, and GPS, txt, and everything else is unlimited too with the obvious exception of your minutes but then because you have free mobile to mobile and therefore minutes only count against you when you are calling a landline before 7pm and after 7am, you won't use that many anyways.

People always say how terrible Sprint is, but I don't find them to be any worse than the others where when I had them. I had Helio, ATT, ATT back when it was Cingular, and had TMobile for a short while.

Only reason ATT maintains such a high market share is because of the iPhone.

You pay 70$ on ATT with a discount? Thats the standard Sprint price and they don't cap your usage of data like every other carrier uses, and GPS, txt, and everything else is unlimited too with the obvious exception of your minutes but then because you have free mobile to mobile and therefore minutes only count against you when you are calling a landline before 7pm and after 7am, you won't use that many anyways.

People always say how terrible Sprint is, but I don't find them to be any worse than the others where when I had them. I had Helio, ATT, ATT back when it was Cingular, and had TMobile for a short while.

I hate att but this list is flawed. For example how is tmobile not the best value? (salty NTers I said best value, not best period).

I hate att but this list is flawed. For example how is tmobile not the best value? (salty NTers I said best value, not best period).

Doesn't shock me at all.  Maybe once VZW releases the iPhone alot of subscribers will jump %*%% and it may just free up the network some 
pimp.gif

Doesn't shock me at all.  Maybe once VZW releases the iPhone alot of subscribers will jump %*%% and it may just free up the network some 
pimp.gif

I'm kinda baffled myself... Not that AT&T is the worst (I'm not surprised about that), but how the hell did US Cellular get the top ratings...???

I'm kinda baffled myself... Not that AT&T is the worst (I'm not surprised about that), but how the hell did US Cellular get the top ratings...???

Originally Posted by Dwele Farooq Al Suleed Afzul

Sprint gives you a very good value for your money, but as you can see I rarely even use my phone so it's all excessive to me...I have the 2GB ATT data tier but last month alone I only used 246 MB and the month before that only 140. Most of the time I'm at home or work using WiFi so it doesn't matter.
As far as US Cellular goes, this is what Consumer Reports had to say:

U.S. Cellular is a regional (but still fairly large) carrier, with about 6 million customers in 26 states spreading southeast and northwest from Chicago (where the company is headquartered). In these regions, the company scores high -- even better than Verizon Wireless (*Est. $40 per month and up) for call quality in the North Central region of the United States. Another big advantage of U.S. Cellular is that incoming calls, texts and pictures are free for contract subscribers (U.S. Cellular also offers prepaid plans). The downside is that U.S. Cellular isn't available nationwide; it contracts with the Verizon network for roaming. Roaming outside of your home area is free if you buy one of U.S. Cellular's National Plans (starting at $40 per month for 450 minutes). You'll get more minutes per dollar with a Wide Area Plan (starting at $40 per month for 700 minutes), but you'll pay roaming charges of 69 cents per minute outside of your hometown and nearby cities. Like Verizon Wireless, U.S. Cellular operates on a CDMA network, so its phones won't work in other countries, which more commonly use the GSM network you'll find at AT&T (*Est. $40 per month and up) and the highly rated T-Mobile (*Est. $30 per month and up). Unlike these national carriers, U.S. Cellular's 3G data network is available only in scattered areas.

Originally Posted by blackngold1z

because of U.S Cellular

Originally Posted by blackngold1z

because of U.S Cellular

Originally Posted by Dwele Farooq Al Suleed Afzul

Sprint gives you a very good value for your money, but as you can see I rarely even use my phone so it's all excessive to me...I have the 2GB ATT data tier but last month alone I only used 246 MB and the month before that only 140. Most of the time I'm at home or work using WiFi so it doesn't matter.
As far as US Cellular goes, this is what Consumer Reports had to say:

U.S. Cellular is a regional (but still fairly large) carrier, with about 6 million customers in 26 states spreading southeast and northwest from Chicago (where the company is headquartered). In these regions, the company scores high -- even better than Verizon Wireless (*Est. $40 per month and up) for call quality in the North Central region of the United States. Another big advantage of U.S. Cellular is that incoming calls, texts and pictures are free for contract subscribers (U.S. Cellular also offers prepaid plans). The downside is that U.S. Cellular isn't available nationwide; it contracts with the Verizon network for roaming. Roaming outside of your home area is free if you buy one of U.S. Cellular's National Plans (starting at $40 per month for 450 minutes). You'll get more minutes per dollar with a Wide Area Plan (starting at $40 per month for 700 minutes), but you'll pay roaming charges of 69 cents per minute outside of your hometown and nearby cities. Like Verizon Wireless, U.S. Cellular operates on a CDMA network, so its phones won't work in other countries, which more commonly use the GSM network you'll find at AT&T (*Est. $40 per month and up) and the highly rated T-Mobile (*Est. $30 per month and up). Unlike these national carriers, U.S. Cellular's 3G data network is available only in scattered areas.

Pay as you go phones are definitely the BEST value, but the problem is prepaid phone swag doesn't exist.

Back
Top Bottom