Shoppers that drive over to Buffalo & Detroit: Duty Free Fee's have changed

DYNAMICS

formerly diplomat tdot
Just saw on 6pm evening news (City News).

- Spend 24 hours or less in the U.S. instead of $50 being duty free it's now $200.
- More than 24 hours in the U.S. is now raised to $800.

Nice to know.

References here, here, here, and here.

pimp.gif
wow $200 for just 1 day or less? damnnn
did they change anything on tobacco/alcohol?

thanks, I remember hearing about some upcoming changes but I didn't know it was this good. Now...any place to rent a hybrid car for cheap in Toronto?

Originally Posted by mkc1983

thanks, I remember hearing about some upcoming changes but I didn't know it was this good. Now...any place to rent a hybrid car for cheap in Toronto?
Enterprise or Zipcar.com

It'll be good stimulus for Buffalo's economy.

Although seriously everytime I hit up the outlets out there I'm half inclined to keep driving to PA or NJ just to get away from the CDN droves of shoppers...

Military Road outlet on a wkend; look at all the cars; 98% of them will have Ontario license plates

Raising the amount you can bring back is good = just a day trip instead of having to spend the night to justify your claims at the border

Originally Posted by DiPlOmAt TDOt

Originally Posted by mkc1983

Enterprise or Zipcar.com

Thanks for the tip.

I think its 200 dollars for more than 24 hours but less than 48 hours
800 for more than 48 hours

[h4]After each absence of 24 hours or more[/h4]
You can claim up to CAN$200 worth of goods without paying any duties. This is your personal exemption. You must have the goods with you when you arrive in Canada and you cannot include tobacco products or alcoholic beverages in this exemption. If the goods you bring in are worth more than CAN$200 in total, you cannot claim this exemption. Instead, you have to pay full duties on all goods you bring in.
[h4]After each absence of 48 hours or more[/h4]
You can claim up to CAN$800 worth of goods without paying any duties. You must have the goods with you when you arrive in Canada. Although you can include some tobacco products and alcoholic beverages, a partial exemption may apply to cigarettes, tobacco products and manufactured tobacco. See the sections called "Alcoholic beverages" and "Tobacco products" for more details.
[h4]After each absence of 7 days or more[/h4]
You can claim up to CAN$800 worth of goods without paying any duties. Although you can include some tobacco products and alcoholic beverages, a partial exemption may apply to cigarettes, tobacco products and manufactured tobacco. See the sections called "Alcoholic beverages" and "Tobacco products" for more details. With the exception of tobacco products and alcoholic beverages, you do not need to have the goods with you when you arrive.

To calculate the number of days you have been absent, do not include the date you left Canada but include the date you returned. Dates matter but not times. For example, we consider you to have been absent seven days if you left Friday the 7th and returned Friday the 14th.

Back
Top Bottom