Should ALLEGED sex crime/rape victims' identities be revealed?

In all other crimes, the accuser's and accusee's identities are revealed by the media, but not in sexual assault cases. Why? Is this fair? What makessexual crimes so different? If sex is so sensitive a subject that the alleged victim needs to be protected, what about the alleged offender? When thatperson's name and identity are revealed, their reputation is shot, no matter if they're guilty or innocent. Rape or sexual assault is one of thosecrimes where the perception of guilt sticks.

I think if you're going to protect the alleged victim, then the alleged offender should be protected as well, too... it's only right.

Thoughts?

I agree. And I still dont agree that a 18 y/o who has sex with a 16 y/o can will registered as an offender. They need to revamp some things imo.

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

I agree. And I still dont agree that a 18 y/o who has sex with a 16 y/o can will registered as an offender. They need to revamp some things imo.
word

Women already have a hard enough time coming forward if they've been sexually assaulted. Let's not make it harder.

Cosign. The law hasn't cought up to the times.

Originally Posted by DaJoka004

Women already have a hard enough time coming forward if they've been sexually assaulted. Let's not make it harder.

Exactly. If you get assaulted on the street and robbed you are likely to go to the police and report that crime. Rape victims are less likely to do so,so anonymity is a must. Same for children, less likely to come forward so protecting their identity is essential. To go along with that most rapes arcommitted by someone the victim knows, so it's even more unlikely they ill report the crime. The reason is to encourage victims to come forward with thecrime. It has nothing to do with the assailant.
I still dont agree that a 18 y/o who has sex with a 16 y/o can will registered as an offender. They need to revamp some things imo.

I agree with this too. The way they label sex offenders should be distinguishable.

Originally Posted by Si3xers55

Cosign. The law hasn't cought up to the times.

word

no because unless they are proven guilty, noone has a right to defame/slander someones name, unless they are ready to get sued

my mom has a home day care and theres this kid's dad is a registered sex offender and the kid's mom showed us the sex offender website with his faceand profile on it. she told us not to let that man pick up her child
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

My sister in law is a therapist and the amount of young girl who are sexually assault is down right depressing. And many of them never say anything toparents
tired.gif

My sister in law is a therapist and the amount of young girl who are sexually assault is down right depressing. And many of them never say anything to parents
tired.gif

Exactly. I know of at least one that never did anything about it. Would have been a big issue too
eyes.gif

^^ man you guys are making the wrong point. He already mentions in his post that concealing the victoms identity has reasons. He wants to know your opinions onkeeping the ALLEGED suspect identity concealed. bunch of captain obviouses in here

If they remain anonymous, they are more likely to come forward. No one is scared to call the cops and say "hey, I was robbed." But imagine a womanyou know got raped, she doesn't want to be famous for being raped, she just wants justice, giving her anonymity allows her to bring the suspect to justiceand keep what dignity she has left.

No, their identities shouldn't be revealed before & during the trial. Neither should the suspect's IMO. To whomever said "to hell with thesuspects". WOW.
indifferent.gif
One of the few times NT has left medumbfounded.

This guilty in the court of public opinion thing has gone too far. Semi on-topic, but what I'd really like to see happen in this world is that anyone whocomes out strongly and definitely on one side or the other before all the facts are in . . . has to come out as strongly and definitely in making an APOLOGY ifhe's completely wrong. (Yes, Sharpton -- I'm looking at you.)

Originally Posted by dirtyxcanto

my mom has a home day care and theres this kid's dad is a registered sex offender and the kid's mom showed us the sex offender website with his face and profile on it. she told us not to let that man pick up her child
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Yea I was on that sex offenders website before and this dude I used to ball with when I was in high school was on there I was like WTH

Originally Posted by GrandaddyPurp415

^^ man you guys are making the wrong point. He already mentions in his post that concealing the victoms identity has reasons. He wants to know your opinions on keeping the ALLEGED suspect identity concealed. bunch of captain obviouses in here

You'd be wrong. His question clearly states "Should ALLEGED sex crime/rape victims' identities be revealed?" The question is about the victims identities, not the offenders. He brings up thatoffenders are often reveled and is asking is this fair? He thinks both victim and offender should be revealed, or neither should.

One of the few times NT has left me dumbfounded.

Really? How long have you been here?
laugh.gif

What case does the alleged perpetrator have for having his identity concealed? Their is an obvious case for the victim which is special because it's asexual assault. There is no case for the alleged attacker. His position is no different than one who allegedly robbed a bank or murdered somebody.

No that'd probably would be the worst idea ever.
And yes the offenders Identity should be revealed. I've been put in the position twice to identify a registered sex offender. First time we all got flashedby a older dude at the bus stop in high school and then in college some dude followed us from Wendy's to our dorms and he was on the list posted at thedorms front desk. Both incidents in Florida unfortunately.

No...honestly I don't even have a want to know about this. If someone is raped I'd like to think that want to at least keep that piece of privacy theyhave..what is gained from knowing their identity?

What case does the alleged perpetrator have for having his identity concealed? Their is an obvious case for the victim which is special because it's a sexual assault. There is no case for the alleged attacker. His position is no different than one who allegedly robbed a bank or murdered somebody.
I guess I see the point now cuz they do reveal ALLEGED names. Yeah I dont know whay its different for sex crimes

Originally Posted by Fanatic15

Originally Posted by GrandaddyPurp415

^^ man you guys are making the wrong point. He already mentions in his post that concealing the victoms identity has reasons. He wants to know your opinions on keeping the ALLEGED suspect identity concealed. bunch of captain obviouses in here

You'd be wrong. His question clearly states "Should ALLEGED sex crime/rape victims' identities be revealed?" The question is about the victims identities, not the offenders. He brings up that offenders are often reveled and is asking is this fair? He thinks both victim and offender should be revealed, or neither should.

One of the few times NT has left me dumbfounded.

Really? How long have you been here?
laugh.gif

Well, usually I do the face-slap FAIL thing. This time my brain actually did the Homer Simpson "That's it I'm outta here!"
roll.gif

Back
Top Bottom