Should College Athletes be paid?

Majorbread

formerly 40inchboost
I guess you could say this is late but looking at numbers that schools pull in revenue wise is ridiculous

Should these guys be getting a cut of the action? schools are making money off these kids and some of the kids gets free education, but they aren't therefor school

I think they should as the time commitments are enormous and strenuous when combined with school

can i get your thoughts on this NT??
nerd.gif

I mean most of them get to school for free and a lot of athletes get "special" help as far as grades

I dont think they should be paid

I think they should....look at how much money these college teams rack in, and your telling me these players can't even see a percentage of that?

No, because..

do you pay the QB at a Texas and Florida and not the Qb at a Toledo or San diego state?

You pay only the stars and not the kids who never see the court or field.

you only pay the basketball and football players?

Just DI?

It's not possible.

Did Melo deserve to be paid for all the money he brought in his 1 year? Yeah...did Craig Forth need a cut of that championship money? hell no.

no .. that's what makes college sports so competitive. most of the time these athletes are playing hard to make it in the NFL,NBA etc.

If they are paid, then they'd be professionals. This "non-paying" thing is the only thing keeping them separate from NBA/pro players.

Originally Posted by JPZx

They already are paid.

This. At most schools basketball and football players are getting paid. The money just comes to the kids in different ways. Instead of coming straight from theuniversity it comes from rich old boosters who just want to be a part of something.

I bet alot of better students would give and arm and leg to get in a high profile school. That would be just to much

when u got people like derrick rose going to expensive Universities for free the answer is HEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLL NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

The time commitment is 1000% different than the average college student. College athletes have no real free time and when you are free you're supposed tomaintain your GPA and work on your game. If I could back to college I'd work on my game more and do less school work. Realistically, it'll never happen

I think they deserve a cut of the billions of dollars that they generate...I wouldnt pay them up front though...I would pay them out once they graduate fromthe school...I think just like there are only so many players you can red shirt each year...there should be a set number of players you can make apart of theshare for the money....maybe your top 20 guys on a football team...and maybe your top 6 players on a bball team....there money grows over their career and oncethey GRADUATE...they get a nice check for helping the NCAA make the billions that they make

what about walk ons tho? cause they dont get ###*

an im not talking about paying them big $$ but enough to put some clothes on thier backs or buy some food from the store, or fly home to visit.

I dont think they get paid under the table like most of you are saying. I was on a PAC 10 relatively elite football team for a year and I wasnt seeing any ofthat

yes.

they need a percentage of profits from jersey sales, tickets and things of that nature. Not some shady hand over fist type allowance.

make it legit.

College Athletes get free education, housing, groupies, and clothing.

They get to play and represent an entire university/student body.

They shouldnt get paid because those 4-5 years will prove and show if the player put in the time and dedication to improve his game so that he can compete withthe best players in the world.

almost all college athletes should not have to worry about food or clothing. You get to eat for free and can pretty much have an entire closet of team clothingif you're really in need.

I've seen D2 kids make bank off work study. I've seen meal allowances pocketed. Checks randomly pop up in the mail from HS coaches to make surethey're okay, etc.

They survive.

Sure, there are special cases where they come from a poverty stricken home, but so is the kid that has made their way onto an academic scholarship andcan't get home for thanksgiving, I've seen that side too.

And not every athletic department is Ohio State or Florida, a good amount would not be able to afford to pay a large amount of kids.

Originally Posted by C5A5D5A5

yes.

they need a percentage of profits from jersey sales, tickets and things of that nature. Not some shady hand over fist type allowance.

make it legit.

Exactly.....To make it fair, they need to take all the profit that the ENTIRE athletic department generates and give each player a percentage of that number.This includes shoe company contract, merchandising, tickets sales.So the star quarterback at a BCS school gets the same as a woman on the swim team. Basicallymost mens football and basketball fund an entire universities athletic department, but in my opinion that doesnt make them any better then another athleteputting in just as much work at their sport.

So would a kid at ohio state make more money than a kid at Miami Ohio? cause they have more $ brought in?

and then youre dealing with hundreds of athletes...you'd be talking like a 5 dollar check each week to make that work.

It's just not possible to draw a line between schools, sports and stars and scrubs.

Back
Top Bottom