Should I feel bad for purchasing something from Goodwill?

Reason I ask is morally, am I taking clothes away from those than are less fortunate?

Today I found a Brooks Brothers Tie ($1) and a Le Tigre polo ($3). Part of me thinks, "Well, everyman for himself, plus the money is probably going tohelp not only GoodWill itself, but also other charities."

But then, part of me thinks, "What if you were less fortunate, and saw a Brooks Brothers Tie or Le Tigre polo, and thought something nice for yourselfwould bring you happiness." Or something to that affect. But the basic jist is that I'm taking a nice article of clothing strewn amongt the uglyclothes for myself, as opposed to a less fortunate person being able to get it and think, Wow I have a nice name brand article of clothing.

I'm probably just really looking into it too deeply.

Yes you are.... You shouldn't feel bad, they never knew it was there in the first place and just as you found something they will too. Just like when yougo to the mall, do you think to yourself "I shouldn't buy this because some younger kid w/ the 20 bucks from his/her parents might want thistoo". I don't, I get what I want/like and move on. Don't live your life on coulda-woulda-shoulda's

person in there, if they're less fortunate is not thinking of it as a brooks brothers tie, or a le tigre polo. its a tie and a polo.

Originally Posted by Fanatic15

Yes you are.... You shouldn't feel bad, they never knew it was there in the first place and just as you found something they will too. Just like when you
go to the mall, do you think to yourself "I shouldn't buy this because some younger kid w/ the 20 bucks from his/her parents might want this
too". I don't, I get what I want/like and move on. Don't live your life on coulda-woulda-shoulda's

cosign

Originally Posted by Fanatic15

I get what I want/like and move on.
Word.
I would never buy anything piece of clothing that someone else has worn.
Shoes I might but I doubt I ever will. But if it makes you happy then go for it.
And you're right that money might be put to use in other positive ways.

Not like anything is wrong with goodwill but I won't want to wear worn clothes... Specially if I don't even know who wore it before me
ohwell.gif

My middle school went through a phase where kids thought it was cool to wear Goodwill clothing, for some it lasted through high school (by choice not becausethats all they could afford).

theres this store in san jose called crossroads and its sort of like goodwill but sometimes they got the dopest shhhh

i got about 4 or 5 pairs of high quality jeans from there for about 4 or 5 dollars each
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

No problem with it at all. Where else could I have bought my "Grandpa of the Year: 2001" shirt?

Used or vintage gear is so dope. I stopped wearing branded clothing years ago - better to wear something you know no one else is rocking, i.e. vintage FredPerry, obscure t-shirts, 80's Adidas track tops, rather than whatever hyped up $50 t-shirt is cool according to hypebeast.com.
laugh.gif
And before someone pulls the "cause u cant afford it lol", Iunfortunately still have a huge appetite for anything Maharishi puts out.
frown.gif
Granted, it's actually quality products, not some logo on an American Apparel t-shirt.

But I digress. No, you shouldn't feel bad. There's still plenty of clothes on those racks, no harm in picking out what you like. It's a shame thatthe whole vintage craze of late has caused prices to soar in second hand shops in bigger cities - no doubt that's hurting the people who actually need it.

Do these type of places normaly have old vintage levis?? I found some old 501 pairs in my pops closet and the material is so dope. The ones they have now aretrash compared to these.

We got a spot in STL called THE LOOP and it has a RAG O RAMA (same idea as GOODWILLbut more accepted I guess) . I know a cat who walked in there and got some VNDS MORK & MINDY'S for like $30. LEGIT TOO. So I say search for it and ifyou find something good then why not?

Originally Posted by Unphased4

Do these type of places normaly have old vintage levis?? I found some old 501 pairs in my pops closet and the material is so dope. The ones they have now are trash compared to these.

you would be suprised. jus hit up your local goodwill and you might jus find some vintage heat too. the other day i seen some all grey jewels (yellowedsole) but only in a size 10
ohwell.gif

You're actually doing some good for your community by supporting local thrift stores and are also being environment friendly by recycling clothing and notconsuming new material. I wholeheartedly support making thrift store shopping as fashionable. As a nation we are grossly consumeristoc and recycling clothingshould be practiced more.

...if you have the money to buy it retail...then use it. Stores like that are for the less fortunate

the last thing an "unfortunate" person is or should be worrying about is if his polo has a tiger on it.

Goodwill is one of the best charities you can support. their main business is to help put less fortunate people to work, mostly mentally or physicallydisabled. Hurley & Nike (both under the same umbrella) help to employ less fortunate goodwill talent.

Back
Top Bottom