Since Jeremy Lin is doing so well, situational racism is OK.

Originally Posted by LDJ

ksteezy wrote:
LDJ wrote:

im sure he did but my thing is folks saying/acting like his race has nuttin to do with why he is praised or their fond of him... its simply ridiculous.. it be like someone black saying oh no one voted for obama just cause of his race.

Good point. And this is why i said race plays in his favor within his own community, I don't think it affects the amount of media coverage he's getting, what he has done, along with the Cinderella story is responsible for that media coverage....the fan base he has built, for sure is highly due to his race...

its tiger woods all over again except tiger proved his greatness. or the williams sisters, again more then proved themselves. its a minority who some resonate with, who is given hope/dream to the chair athletes/ the kids who are subpar etc at the gym/park. with aspirations of if he can do it so can i. mixed with well i have to ride with him cause he is my race and everyone else is. 

ppl wanna act like their isnt folks who are all of a a sudden knicks fans who just happen to be the same race. or folks who just happen to be the same race and all of a sudden big bball fans.

Completely agree with you on that.

Originally Posted by LuckyP90

Originally Posted by LDJ

Originally Posted by LuckyP90

There's been some interviews where he talked about the racism he faced in college. He said he had crowds and other players saying racial slurs and other racist remarks towards him, coaches saying racist things like "you can't let that oriental do that", etc. He said he got really angry at first and his assistant coach(Afr. Amer.) talked to him about it and the coach said he faced it alot growing up too, and helped him find a way to deal with it.

im sure he did but my thing is folks saying/acting like his race has nuttin to do with why he is praised or their fond of him... its simply ridiculous.. it be like someone black saying oh no one voted for obama just cause of his race.

I wasn't replying to anyone in particular with that. I agree that his race has helped propel his popularity like it propelled Obama, using your example. Just saying that both of those guys probably had a hard time getting there. Also, his popularity being fueled by him being Asian is no excuse at all for the racism in any way. People say "Oh well it works both ways, he's getting popular now too because of it. So just take a good slanty eye joke, **** joke, karate joke, emperor joke, etc in the chin." What kind of way of thinking about it is that? This guy dealt with it even without the popularity. He didn't even ask for the popularity either. So basically, "Here Jeremy, we're going to give you all this media attention for doing well but then we'll hurl all this racist *#*# at you as well to balance it out."

I just think it's a joke that this kid was born in LA, grew up in Palo Alto, went to an Ivy League school and is probably more in tune with America than most people are, yet he still gets fortune cookie and karate jokes like we see on page 11. It wouldn't be anything to talk about if it was a little thing here and there by some fringe racist people, but it's not, it's being done by alot of people.

also folks act like he overcame so so much... dude went to harvard.. wheres the he had 8 siblings and grew up on welfare. wheres the he worked 2/3 jobs at one time and saved up for school. i mean what is so so amazing? im sure he gets prejudice jokes etc...but folks act like he came from nike sweatshops on a visa, and supported himself since his childhood.

Originally Posted by LDJ

also folks act like he overcame so so much... dude went to harvard.. wheres the he had 8 siblings and grew up on welfare. wheres the he worked 2/3 jobs at one time and saved up for school. i mean what is so so amazing? im sure he gets prejudice jokes etc...but folks act like he came from nike sweatshops on a visa, and supported himself since his childhood.

When people say he overcame so much it's about his story on the basketball court. Maybe people in this thread have been acting like he came from poverty, I haven't read through it all, but I haven't seen it anywhere else.

I think you guys are seriously underestimating how hard it is to get into Harvard. They do not simply take the smart kids or the priveldged ones, they recieve over 30,000 aplications per year and only admit around 4,000. Things like athletics and legacy help, but you won't get in on those alone. These are kids from every corner of the world and if you don't have a good story, perfect grades and scores, exceptional letters of reccomendation, and a solid alumni interview then you have no shot of getting in. If you think he ended up there by accident you cleary don't understand the amount of work it requires to get into that elite group of Harvard admits.

I view this similar to when Venus and Serena Williams first arrived on the scene. It was unheard of to have two great tennis players raised in compton, taught tennis by their father who taught himself the game, and to have these women eventually go down as two of the greatest players of all time. Back when they first started the media was fixated with their race and how they were two black girls excelling in a predominately white sport. Was part of their fame because of their race? Yes, but that was only part of the story which is what I see with Lin. Is his race a factor in his fame? Yes, but like Venus and Serena, his talent and his ability to hold his own is what will ultimately become the bigger story.

That Jason Whitlock tweet is just ignorance at its best.  

Him being Asian definitely has helped the hype; I've got friends (both Asian and non-Asian) tuning into Knicks games just because they haven't seen an Asian guy do what he's doing. 

Originally Posted by cornzilla

Originally Posted by sreggie101

tumblr_lz7nkhI9dG1qzb7vjo1_500.jpg
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

"featuring Baron Davis as the invisible ninja"

Had me 
laugh.gif

i think its not necessarily the "asian-american" part, its moreso the fact that he doesnt look like youre typical NBA player. I honestly believe if Hamed Haddadi or Omri Casspi were american born, or an Indian-American or what have you were doing the same thing, we'd see a similar response. Leading the Knicks in NY doesnt hurt either.

also as a Filipino-American, an dee 51o is right. Asian countries have long histories of conflict (China vs. Japan, China vs. Taiwan, Japan vs. Philippines, Japan vs. the entire damn continent) and have much different stories in regards to culture and US immigration. You cant lump them all together that way.

Originally Posted by aepps20

I view this similar to when Venus and Serena Williams first arrived on the scene. It was unheard of to have two great tennis players raised in compton, taught tennis by their father who taught himself the game, and to have these women eventually go down as two of the greatest players of all time. Back when they first started the media was fixated with their race and how they were two black girls excelling in a predominately white sport. Was part of their fame because of their race? Yes, but that was only part of the story which is what I see with Lin. Is his race a factor in his fame? Yes, but like Venus and Serena, his talent and his ability to hold his own is what will ultimately become the bigger story.

thats exactly what i was saying, but again the williams sisters have proven their some of the greatest players. its not like they won a few matches against unranked players and espn was saying, oh because of this they should be in the open, or comparing them to steffi graff... etc.

even like example lebron in h.s. they was going on and on about how great he was yes...and they was saying he was one of the greatest h.s. players.. and comparing him to the likes of kb8 etc of h.s. not saying of present or mj of all time.

Originally Posted by CDUNK

Him being Asian definitely has helped the hype; I've got friends (both Asian and non-Asian) tuning into Knicks games just because they haven't seen an Asian guy do what he's doing. 

I heard an interesting POV on that today.  Gene Wang, an Asian(columnist for the Washington Post), said that part of the reason why there wasn't much hoopla surrounding Whitlock's tweet, no matter how insensitive it was, is that there isn't a Chinese activist here in the US with the clout of someone like Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton. 

Had the shoe been on the other foot and the tweet was anti-Black or something along those lines, you'd have to believe Whitlock would have been let go from his position at AOL or wherever he works.  There would have been advocacy groups up this guy's @#% for what he said. 

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

I heard an interesting POV on that today.  Gene Wang, an Asian(columnist for the Washington Post), said that part of the reason why there wasn't much hoopla surrounding Whitlock's tweet, no matter how insensitive it was, is that there isn't a Chinese activist here in the US with the clout of someone like Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton. 

Had the shoe been on the other foot and the tweet was anti-Black or something along those lines, you'd have to believe Whitlock would have been let go from his position at AOL or wherever he works.  There would have been advocacy groups up this guy's @#% for what he said. 

definitely true. while there's smaller local advocacy/activist groups in the major urban areas, there isnt a strong national vocal group. just like when the UCLA library rant and other incidents, theres always a small uproar but no real pressure.

the best reasons for this ive heard/argued are
a. like mentioned before, asians are mostly united within their own ethnic/cultural groups (ie ethnic enclaves like chinatowns, little tokyos, etc.) so theres a bunch of small groups instead of a large united front and
b. relatively speaking, asians are new to this country. while small pockets/groups may have come over in the 1800's or early 1900's, massive asian immigration didnt really happen until the mid 1900s via new immigration laws, and then later on due to refugees from vietnam/cambodia/china. we just dont have the numbers or the history.

Originally Posted by frink85

definitely true. while there's smaller local advocacy/activist groups in the major urban areas, there isnt a strong national vocal group. just like when the UCLA library rant and other incidents, theres always a small uproar but no real pressure.

a. like mentioned before, asians are mostly united within their own ethnic/cultural groups (ie ethnic enclaves like chinatowns, little tokyos, etc.) so theres a bunch of small groups instead of a large united front and
b. relatively speaking, asians are new to this country. while small pockets/groups may have come over in the 1800's or early 1900's, massive asian immigration didnt really happen until the mid 1900s via new immigration laws, and then later on due to refugees from vietnam/cambodia/china. we just dont have the numbers or the history.

ive wondered this as well... like back in the day when abercombie and fitch made those racist t -shirts and really nuttin was said... well oddly enough other minorities said something about it but asians were more on some oh well yeah its messed up, but what can you do? then procedes to go in the store buy some of their clothes.

ive wondered this as well... like back in the day when abercombie and fitch made those racist t -shirts and really nuttin was said... well oddly enough other minorities said something about it but asians were more on some oh well yeah its messed up, but what can you do? then procedes to go in the store buy some of their clothes.

Originally Posted by LDJ

exactly. that whole thing was
eyes.gif
eyes.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
but there wasnt enough backlash. personally i think it goes back to the model minority theory, dont want to alienate the majority and would rather assimilate. that, or small random groups spoke out publicly but didnt get the attention or have the effect of a large, national group.

Originally Posted by freakydestroyer

Originally Posted by NYC game

Originally Posted by freakydestroyer

Did you read what incident this thread was referencing to?
eyes.gif

Did you read what I wrote 
indifferent.gif
Asians are so sensitive
laugh.gif
... That's why people in the media take these shots publicly without thinking twice. They just think Asians aren't going to respond so it's okay to do so and there's no repercussions. Like mentioned before, it is not in the Asian culture to respond to these insults. They just keep it moving and worry about more important things like providing for their family. If anything, it's especially ironic when black people talk mess about Asians for practically no reason. Hating or discriminating someone because of their race, that sound familiar?
grin.gif
The tweet in question was clearly not "just a joke". 

So clearly I'm not going to get you to actually read what I wrote
laugh.gif
 so let me clear it up.
The first post i understand why asians would be upset.

When I mentioned yall (and I'm talking specifically niketalkers of asian decent) get butt hurt about every single thing pertaining to your race. Like if I even mention an asian person who has NOTHING to do with you besides being of the same ethnic origin. All of a sudden a billion people come out of nowhere with something to say. They want to accuse you of being racist, or being jealous, or being mad Huh ??? 

Like fall back for a second read the post and then respond with something intelligent and pertaining to the subject first.

But then again it could be because I'm on niketalk and 80% of people here no matter what race just like to hear themselves talk even if it's about nothing.

Originally Posted by LDJ

eyes.gif
eyes.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
but there wasnt enough backlash. personally i think it goes back to the model minority theory, dont want to alienate the majority and would rather assimilate. that, or small random groups spoke out publicly but didnt get the attention or have the effect of a large, national group.
In thinking about it, this goes back to what An Dee was saying about the divide amongst Asians.  Had there been a unified voice, I'm sure this issue, as well as many others, would have been addressed. 

Even though many people of MANY different backgrounds fall under the Asian "umbrella," I never really thought about examples of Koreans not pulling for a Japanese baseball player, amongst other things. 

Originally Posted by LDJ

eyes.gif
eyes.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

im not asian but i found it offensive esp. the sweatshop and slanted eyes etc... shirts. i mean the irony of it what killed me. like ok we use you to make our clothes for dirt cheap and pimp you for a profit, then on top of that, im gonna disrespect you and mock you for doing it.

society gets away with disrespecting asians (whitlock, abercrombie and fitch) because society views asians as higher society/privelaged. they assume we are smarter, wealthier, and more successful, thus giving them a false sense of entitlement to poke fun w/ "harmless" racist jokes. on the other hand, african americans are viewed as deprived and struggling group, therefore society takes huge offense to someone making a joke about a black person.

at the end of the day I view it all the same and nobody, black, or asian, should be subject to racist jokes. nobody should feel entitled to target one group and be sensitive to another. just treat others how you would like to be treated.

Originally Posted by LDJ

eyes.gif
eyes.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
In thinking about it, this goes back to what An Dee was saying about the divide amongst Asians.  Had there been a unified voice, I'm sure this issue, as well as many others, would have been addressed. 

Even though many people of MANY different backgrounds fall under the Asian "umbrella," I never really thought about examples of Koreans not pulling for a Japanese baseball player, amongst other things. 

agree. and I would hope that if there were a unified voice, stuff like this would be few and far between. and people dont seem to understand that "asian" has so much under it. these countries have such different cultures/histories/lineages/religions. japan and india are asian countries, but for sure in no way would you confuse a japanese person or an indian person. plus a lot of asian countries kinda have beef with each other
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
ohwell.gif

I find it disgusting that people are really hating on Lin because he's Asian... After he beat Deron Williams and Co, i posted on FB to watch out for Lin cause he got game.. One of my boys said he cant rock with lin because he's Asian lol... He really put lol in the statement like that was suppose to make me laugh...

I smashed too many asian !!#@!# to ever have a oz of prejudice in me. Im getting my Lin authentic as soon as I can... not because of the hype, because he plays my favorite position (pause) in my hometown and is doing a damn good job at it.. I been wanting to get a Melo jersey but he hasnt earned my purchase...

Originally Posted by devildog1776

I find it disgusting that people are really hating on Lin because he's Asian... After he beat Deron Williams and Co, i posted on FB to watch out for Lin cause he got game.. One of my boys said he cant rock with lin because he's Asian lol... He really put lol in the statement like that was suppose to make me laugh...

indifferent.gif
tired.gif

its funny reading some of these comments...

Asians are looked by other minorities as not real minorities...yet for all ive seen and experienced generally speaking..white america would never truly accept them as equals. so they're in some weird social niche

Originally Posted by LDJ

Originally Posted by aepps20

thats exactly what i was saying, but again the williams sisters have proven their some of the greatest players. its not like they won a few matches against unranked players and espn was saying, oh because of this they should be in the open, or comparing them to steffi graff... etc.

even like example lebron in h.s. they was going on and on about how great he was yes...and they was saying he was one of the greatest h.s. players.. and comparing him to the likes of kb8 etc of h.s. not saying of present or mj of all time.

Most definitely

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

Asians are looked by other minorities as not real minorities...yet for all ive seen and experienced generally speaking..white america would never truly accept them as equals. so they're in some weird social niche
i always thought about it like this too. good point. 

Originally Posted by cw0974

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

i always thought about it like this too. good point. 

well because unlike other minoritties most assimilate themselves and emerge themselves in white culture... i had a report and asked fellow mongloid nt's what is asian american culture and outside of saying stuff like nintendo/pokemon etc which i stated isnt a culture and more of inventions btw arent even from america have no identity. so subconciously ppl see them as such. i mean even with certain nationalities and race you have and identity that seperates them from their root race/origins. its the same as how some black ppl dont $%@. themselves with their race and emerge solely in the white culture. its just well to be honest every asian i met culture background makeup is borrowed from someone else.

Back
Top Bottom