Since Jeremy Lin is doing so well, situational racism is OK.

Originally Posted by freakydestroyer

Originally Posted by Battousai701

Originally Posted by Je Ne Sais Quoi

Damn, this thread is crazy. Will someone please find Jin The MC to make sense of all this!!!

Let's face it, us Asians aren't very unified.
Be real. There is too much beef amongst nationalities.
The only unifying trait between groups is our saltiness over Japan's history of violence and rape across Asia.
We'll never have a leader to speak for us that we'd all agree on.
It sounds nuts, but in my opinion, that leader could've been Bruce Lee. Everybody loves Bruce Lee.
im about to go see that new Bruce Lee documentary, "I Am Bruce Lee" 
pimp.gif
I hope you are trolling bro. If anything that is one thing Asians are generally good at. If there's a common cause, they'll just put the beef to the side and get stuff done.

I one day saw an Asian looking bum on the freeway entrance. Asian bums are somewhat rare in LA. 

this Mercedez pulls up next to the bum and I see the driver is also Asian. They talk for a bit and he scoops up his Asian fellow.

Originally Posted by sreggie101

Originally Posted by Mister Friendly

Jason Whitlock was totally wrong in his comment and should be reprimanded.

Yellow Mamba?  Isnt Yellow an outdated  offensive term akin to Colored....The Asian Mamba would be better

its a play on kobe's nickname. the black mamba is a snake; and its colored black. but since kobe is black too...well you see where im going with this, hence yellow mamba. but i get what you're saying, yellow in reference to asians isn't PC. they should call him something else..like honey badger
laugh.gif

Yeah I get it but Ive heard people be called Black, Ive never heard people be referred to as Yellow

Originally Posted by hongcouver604

Originally Posted by MonStar1

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

and therein lies one if the many issued asians face... we are not looked as true americans.
we'll alwys be considered foreign
Yes you are.  Dude was talking crazy like there's no such thing as Asian Americas at his college.  There's a big difference between Jeremy Lin and Yao Ming.

A difference, but not that big.  Jeremy's a first generation Asian-American, his father and mother raised him traditionally, he can even speak fluent (so-so) Chinese.... so there's not that big of a difference... Jeremy's just more Americanized since he grew up here, but he's always going to identify himself as Taiwanese/Chinese before American. 

There are fifth/sixth generation Asian Americans in the U.s (completely white-washed), those folks are the biggest difference.  They can't even speak their own native tongue and some don't even acknowledge their own cultural roots, talkin about eating meatloaf or spaghetti every night for dinner,  total #%@*+@ embarrassment to Asians, IMO.  
First of all, you're exaggerating the extent to which 5th/6th generations recognize the culture of their ancestors.  And second, that's a great deal of time spent in the US.  What do you expect?  I'm a 3rd generation American born Filipino, and I don't speak Tagalog, Ilocano, or Ilonggo.  Neither do my parents.  Neither does my grandmother.  Am I supposed to feel ashamed for that?  Hell no.  There was no advantage for immigrants during the early !900s to teach their children the language of the homeland.  However, we still know where we came from and what it took for us to get here.  My ancestors made it possible for other Asian immigrants to come here, and those newer immigrants didn't have to spend a day working in the sugar cane plantations or fields.  So I'd be nice if you showed those Asian Americans who have been in the US for a long time more respect.

Yellow Mamba?  Isnt Yellow an outdated  offensive term akin to Colored....The Asian Mamba would be better

its a play on kobe's nickname. the black mamba is a snake; and its colored black. but since kobe is black too...well you see where im going with this, hence yellow mamba. but i get what you're saying, yellow in reference to asians isn't PC. they should call him something else..like honey badger
laugh.gif
As far as I know black mambas are actually a light palish tan color...
grin.gif

For real though I know they're not actually black.

You're all racist, I don't care if Kobe named himself.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by slickp42189

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

Another point, we've determined that Asians are more accepted in the corporate world, yet you still see more black CEOs.
dude, you guys go back to your country as soon as you get a degree from Stanford, Yale, Harvard, Princeton
all of my Asian/ Mid-East friends are going right back to UAE, China, Taiwan because they say they can have a better life and make more money there, im not a second generation African, all of my family is American and this is my home

and therein lies one if the many issued asians face... we are not looked as true americans.
I definitely agree that we are seen as foreigners, but I don't agree that we will always be.

Asian people are relatively new to America.  Asian people make up roughly 5% of the American population.  Their numbers are growing faster than any other race, but even with that trend going over the last couple of years, still only at 5%.
From my small scope of experience living in the Bay Area, most every Asian person I know is either first gen or foreign born.  How often do you see a white or black person that can't speak English?

Over time Asian-Americans will form their own identity and niche in American culture, but it's gonna take time.  Until then, i'm gonna embrace the differences of Asian-American and American because in a couple generations, they're gonna forget all that cool stuff.

Originally Posted by Trav T

hongcouver604 wrote:
A difference, but not that big.  Jeremy's a first generation Asian-American, his father and mother raised him traditionally, he can even speak fluent (so-so) Chinese.... so there's not that big of a difference... Jeremy's just more Americanized since he grew up here, but he's always going to identify himself as Taiwanese/Chinese before American.  

There are fifth/sixth generation Asian Americans in the U.s (completely white-washed), those folks are the biggest difference.  They can't even speak their own native tongue and some don't even acknowledge their own cultural roots, talkin about eating meatloaf or spaghetti every night for dinner,  total #%@*+@ embarrassment to Asians, IMO.  
First of all, you're exaggerating the extent to which 5th/6th generations recognize the culture of their ancestors.  And second, that's a great deal of time spent in the US.  What do you expect?  I'm a 3rd generation American born Filipino, and I don't speak Tagalog, Ilocano, or Ilonggo.  Neither do my parents.  Neither does my grandmother.  Am I supposed to feel ashamed for that?  Hell no.  There was no advantage for immigrants during the early !900s to teach their children the language of the homeland.  However, we still know where we came from and what it took for us to get here.  My ancestors made it possible for other Asian immigrants to come here, and those newer immigrants didn't have to spend a day working in the sugar cane plantations or fields.  So I'd be nice if you showed those Asian Americans who have been in the US for a long time more respect.

I used to feel like it was disgraceful for a Asian person to not know about their culture.  Then I realized I am incapable of teaching fluent Canto to my own kid.  
30t6p3b.gif

i would say all "brown" people (Asian, middle eastern, Latino) are the least respected in this country. i have a Cambodian GF and some of the stuff i have seen and heard just blows my mind. people don't even care when they talk to them. and we all know middle eastern right now can't get a damn break, they cant even leave their own house with out someone classifying them as terrorists. and than everyone thinks all Latinos are illegal Mexicans and stand in front of home depot.
smh only reason people find this story to be amazing is because he is Asian. if he was black nobody would give a +%%@

Whitlock apologizes:

The couple-inches-of-pain tweet overshadowed my sincere celebration of Lin’s performance and the irony that the stereotype applies to pot-bellied, overweight male sports writers, too. As the Asian American Journalist Association pointed out, I debased a feel-good sports moment. For that, I’m truly sorry.

Link

Originally Posted by superflyinchopstickninja

Originally Posted by ThunderChunk69

it's his opinion and I agree
I also agree. People just insult Asians for no valid reason. Like what have Asians generally done to harm others?
That paranoia is out of control here.
I find it on this site yall take everything to heart it's like we can't even say the word asian without somebody getting butt hurt.

I don't know if it's just age cause I know for sure most of you are below the age of 27, or if yall just have a chip on your shoulder. 

Maybe you got teased or bullied in high school, I don't know.

Another point, we've determined that Asians are more accepted in the corporate world, yet you still see more black CEOs.
dude, you guys go back to your country as soon as you get a degree from Stanford, Yale, Harvard, Princeton
all of my Asian/ Mid-East friends are going right back to UAE, China, Taiwan because they say they can have a better life and make more money there, im not a second generation African, all of my family is American and this is my home

I agree. Someone said they were surprised Jeremy Lin spoke perfect English
30t6p3b.gif

im not arguing whether or not you're not respected but the least respected is just not true man, and you guys are getting carried away, all of my friends are American, they dont have visas, they were all born here in the US, but they are leaving and they say theyre going home, im not generalizing all Asian US citizens, i gave a response to ham's comment

i never said you guys werent US citizens, i never made you out to be aliens, i answered why there may be more black CEOs in the US than Asian CEOs
i thought you were going ghost for good

Originally Posted by go rilla

im not arguing whether or not you're not respected but the least respected is just not true man, and you guys are getting carried away, all of my friends are American, they dont have visas, they were all born here in the US, but they are leaving and they say theyre going home, im not generalizing all Asian US citizens, i gave a response to ham's comment

i never said you guys werent US citizens, i never made you out to be aliens, i answered why there may be more black CEOs in the US than Asian CEOs
i thought you were going ghost for good

Holy crap I forgot all about that thread.
This is exactly what I mean.

Look at how many dudes were hurt cause the employee told dude they dont have bball kicks.

Then you look at the responses in this thread and suddenly its ok to stereotype.

Im telling you man, it seems like racial sensitivity only works one way.

Originally Posted by NYC game

I also agree. People just insult Asians for no valid reason. Like what have Asians generally done to harm others?
I find it on this site yall take everything to heart it's like we can't even say the word asian without somebody getting butt hurt.

I don't know if it's just age cause I know for sure most of you are below the age of 27, or if yall just have a chip on your shoulder. 

Uhh what? It's when "Asian" is followed up by a terrible racial joke and/or stereotype, and we get upset.Look at what you wrote, and replace "Asian" with any other cultural/ethnic group. Does it still sound right? We take things to heart...because that's how you stop these things and get a little respect. Change doesn't happen randomly.That said, I'm 26. And as an aside...way too much oppression Olympics going on in here.

Originally Posted by frink85

Uhh what? It's when "Asian" is followed up by a terrible racial joke and/or stereotype, and we get upset.Look at what you wrote, and replace "Asian" with any other cultural/ethnic group. Does it still sound right? We take things to heart...because that's how you stop these things and get a little respect. Change doesn't happen randomly.That said, I'm 26. And as an aside...way too much oppression Olympics going on in here.
I'm not talking about racial jokes, just a few day's ago I made a topic about Jeremy lin and bandwagon riding I got a whole lot of  
indifferent.gif
 and other stupid remarks because people thought it was about trashing jeremy lin instead of using common sense.
Don't mistake a legitimate grip with just crying every time someone mentions your race, that doesn't get your respect, it just makes you a target for more ridicule.

It's really not hard to tell the difference (online or off) between somebody authentically wanting to know something about your race and somebody just blatantly being racist.

Originally Posted by frink85

I'm not talking about racial jokes, just a few day's ago I made a topic about Jeremy lin and bandwagon riding I got a whole lot of  
indifferent.gif
 and other stupid remarks because people thought it was about trashing jeremy lin instead of using common sense.
Don't mistake a legitimate grip with just crying every time someone mentions your race, that doesn't get your respect, it just makes you a target for more ridicule.

It's really not hard to tell the difference (online or off) between somebody authentically wanting to know something about your race and somebody just blatantly being racist.

Ok in that case, yeah I agree with you...but, I do advocate standing up for yourself and correcting people when you feel slighted, just to dead that kind of thing early. Cause harmless jokes can turn pretty nasty. And this is going to be a horrible analogy, but standing up to that kind of thing is the basis of civil rights, IMO

laugh.gif
As far as I know black mambas are actually a light palish tan color...
grin.gif

For real though I know they're not actually black.

You're all racist, I don't care if Kobe named himself.
laugh.gif

i stand corrected. its mouth is colored black, not the snake itself.

Originally Posted by Gex The Damaja

Originally Posted by CrunchyBlack9

Its not cool by any means, but I work with a Chinese cat and a Vietnamese cat and they were both saying the whole Asian Mamba bit. Mind you i'm their supervisor. They thought I was being sour I guess b\c I wasnt reveling in their joy. When in reality I didnt feel comfortable b\c  its kind of like having a white friend thinking its ok to say the N-word
30t6p3b.gif
. I'm not trying to be that dude. Also, I dont get it. Was it like this when Yao Ming was ballin?

...What? How did you come to that comparison?

Me saying anything racial with a friend. Me saying he is the Asian anything or the Asian version or so and so. I'm not naïve to think its ok to say something that would offend a friends sensibilities at the expense of trying to fit in. 

Did you read what incident this thread was referencing to?
eyes.gif

Lol at oppression olympics.
"change comes from within". Lets be real here. We cant expect the media to correct stereotypes if we're the ones holding up the signs.

Originally Posted by Gex The Damaja

Its not cool by any means, but I work with a Chinese cat and a Vietnamese cat and they were both saying the whole Asian Mamba bit. Mind you i'm their supervisor. They thought I was being sour I guess b\c I wasnt reveling in their joy. When in reality I didnt feel comfortable b\c  its kind of like having a white friend thinking its ok to say the N-word
30t6p3b.gif
. I'm not trying to be that dude. Also, I dont get it. Was it like this when Yao Ming was ballin?

...What? How did you come to that comparison?

Me saying anything racial with a friend. Me saying he is the Asian anything or the Asian version or so and so. I'm not naïve to think its ok to say something that would offend a friends sensibilities at the expense of trying to fit in. 
You didn't feel comfortable because they called him the Asian Mamba? Ok, but how is that like a Caucasian person saying the N word? You stated they where Asian themselves, they didn't say yellow mamba, which is racist. Seems you're mad at the fact they were going out of their way to praise him. It seems like people can't be proud of one of their own being in the spot light, without someone criticizing on the other end....

Back
Top Bottom