Single People: Eating out vs. Cooking your food

Just curious for you health and budget conscious folks out there. Do you cook ALL of your meals? Sometimes I notice that its cheaper to eat out as ingredients are not cheap in my area. You guys typically pre make your meals for the week? or day to day? Just curious on how you fellow singles run your food schedule.

I've never heard anyone say that it is cheaper to eat out.

Anywho, I eat out more only because I get cravings for different things and want to satisfy it asap. So I'll just buy it instead of cooking it.

However, I find that I cook more when I have large chunks of free time or if I heard of some really cool recipe that I want to try.

Last edited:
I cook maybe 4 or 5 times during the week.

I personally find cooking really fun. Finding new recipes or adding your own twists onto existing ones.

I'll spend maybe an hour cooking. It's usually just some variation of meat, veggies, and rice.

Last edited:
I cook maybe 4 or 5 times during the week.

I personally find cooking really fun. Finding new recipes or adding your own twists onto existing ones.

I'll spend maybe an hour cooking. It's usually just some variation of meat, veggies, and rice.
This right here

Ain't nun like finessing your own meal man

If you're short on time during the nights, I'd suggest using a slow cooker or oven. You can put something in slow cooker in the mornings and when you get home something is ready.

Oven is real easy to do too. Marinate or season chicken and cook it in the oven for 30-40 minutes. Cook up some frozen veggies and you're good.

I wasn't single... but damn I remember when I wanted to save money.

It was cereal for months. :lol:

I wasn't single... but damn I remember when I wanted to save money.

It was cereal for months. :lol:
The life [emoji]128076[/emoji]. And I have to ask what's your favorite cereal?

My favorite cereal is Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

But during that time, I had boxes of different cereals. :lol: Captain Berry Crunch, Cocoa Pebbles, Frosted Wheaties, Corn Pops.... ect.

Used to save a lot of money! Milk was 2.50 a gallon, sometimes I would buy the 'cheap' cereal brand that came in bags. :lol:

I almost always eat out for dinner etc. I've found it to be cheaper for me. Plus I'm more conscious because there is a dollar amount to literally every meal. I average about 50 a week on groceries still because I buy lunch etc.

I eat some form of pasta like 3 times a week, so I make my sauce on Sunday and have it ready for the week.

Rest of the week I eat some sort of steak or chicken breast. Sometimes I'll fix up a tuna dish.

But during that time, I had boxes of different cereals.
laugh.gif
Captain Berry Crunch, Cocoa Pebbles, Frosted Wheaties, Corn Pops.... ect.

Used to save a lot of money! Milk was 2.50 a gallon, sometimes I would buy the 'cheap' cereal brand that came in bags.
laugh.gif
I swear on my life it the exact same cereal. I cannot tell the difference 
roll.gif

Shout out to fruity o's 
pimp.gif

But during that time, I had boxes of different cereals. :lol: Captain Berry Crunch, Cocoa Pebbles, Frosted Wheaties, Corn Pops.... ect.

Used to save a lot of money! Milk was 2.50 a gallon, sometimes I would buy the 'cheap' cereal brand that came in bags. :lol:
I swear on my life it the exact same cereal. I cannot tell the difference :rofl:

Shout out to fruity o's :pimp:

Cocoa diamonds... Liken pebbles, but so much better... Use real cocoa lol... Guess it's cheaper than making your own chemical compounds that taste like it...

Military Guy, I meal prep almost every Sunday, If I'm out of town and theirs no Chow Hall, I'll usually buy some lunch meat PB x J, bread etc to last me through the week, If theres a Chipotle or something similar ill just got there for dinner..

Now a days since I'm out of the crib from 3 am till 7pm for 5 days a week I just grab food from whole foods deli and reheat ( cost a grip if you look at the weekly $) My days off I try to cook unless I'm going out .

I cook, very often.

5-6 times a week.

It's healthier since I actually know what goes into my food.

I quite enjoy it, cause it gives me time to think, and process the day in my mind, and what I'm going to do next.

Last edited:

Not coming at you, but yall can't seriously believe this? Eating out is by no means cheaper than cooking at home.

Look at those meals in the first article. Half of the items they're saying to buy you could:
1. Buy cheaper at other grocery stores like trader joes. grocery shopping in NYC is expensive, so this is already an unfair comparison.
2. When you make the meal yourself you'll get AT LEAST 2 MEALS out of it. You pay $15 for seafood alfredo for one dinner or pay $16 for 2 maybe even 3 meals.
3. Buy fresh produce. Why would you buy premade mashed potatoes for 2.99 when you could buy about 4 pounds of potatoes for $3. That's potatoes for days, you can get creative not just mashed potatoes. Why would you buy a premade bag of salad when you can buy the same produce fresh and get even more salad?
4. These articles aren't factoring in tip or tax either, even at stingy *** 10% that still bumps the cost of the meal up past what you would spend at home.
5. It's also not factoring in that if you have a family, you're buying meals for each person. That's $15 for EACH meal, even if 2 people get the same thing. At home everyone eats the same, cost DRASTICALLY goes down.
6. Last but not least the restaurants they have up their are garbo. Olive Garden :x I'd rather eat toast b.

If you're not ultra picky about what you eat eating at home is so much cheaper. For breakfast i pretty much eat the same thing most days, before I got a nutribullet that is. Most days it's brow sugar oatmeal, with blueberries or craisins. Buying those 3 items cost about $6. I get 10 meals out of that $6 compared to going to McDonald's and getting one meal for like $5.

If you're not trying to spend all day over the stove, use the oven or get a nutribullet. Only way eating out is cheaper is if you're eating off the dollar menu.

Not coming at you, but yall can't seriously believe this? Eating out is by no means cheaper than cooking at home.

Look at those meals in the first article. Half of the items they're saying to buy you could:
1. Buy cheaper at other grocery stores like trader joes. grocery shopping in NYC is expensive, so this is already an unfair comparison.
2. When you make the meal yourself you'll get AT LEAST 2 MEALS out of it. You pay $15 for seafood alfredo for one dinner or pay $16 for 2 maybe even 3 meals.
3. Buy fresh produce. Why would you buy premade mashed potatoes for 2.99 when you could buy about 4 pounds of potatoes for $3. That's potatoes for days, you can get creative not just mashed potatoes. Why would you buy a premade bag of salad when you can buy the same produce fresh and get even more salad?
4. These articles aren't factoring in tip or tax either, even at stingy *** 10% that still bumps the cost of the meal up past what you would spend at home.
5. It's also not factoring in that if you have a family, you're buying meals for each person. That's $15 for EACH meal, even if 2 people get the same thing. At home everyone eats the same, cost DRASTICALLY goes down.
6. Last but not least the restaurants they have up their are garbo. Olive Garden :x I'd rather eat toast b.

If you're not ultra picky about what you eat eating at home is so much cheaper. For breakfast i pretty much eat the same thing most days, before I got a nutribullet that is. Most days it's brow sugar oatmeal, with blueberries or craisins. Buying those 3 items cost about $6. I get 10 meals out of that $6 compared to going to McDonald's and getting one meal for like $5.

If you're not trying to spend all day over the stove, use the oven or get a nutribullet. Only way eating out is cheaper is if you're eating off the dollar menu.

I agree. I'm single and cook for myself. A home cooked meal for me costs $2 - $3 tops. If I go out to eat somewhere in Chicago, it's $10 minimum (including tax and tip).

Last edited:
Now a days since I'm out of the crib from 3 am till 7pm for 5 days a week I just grab food from whole foods deli and reheat ( cost a grip if you look at the weekly $) My days off I try to cook unless I'm going out .
You got the paper though 
smokin.gif

Back
Top Bottom