Sneaker Collecting is dead and is a FAD

Yes I said it. Agree or disagree? All these line ups, marked up prices with bad quality, limited hyperquickstrikes, re-sellers, and bandwagon idiots killed it along with all the stupid sneaker cakes, sneaker gas mask, Galaxy, elephant print, glow in the dark, on EVERYTHING is dead. I don't wanna stick around and find out what happens in the future... Gone are the good ol days and those who are 30 years old or older can relate.

I have to agree but you should have posted this in general. A lot of newbies frequent the JB section and can't relate.

As a 13 year collector i have to say yes. the sneaker culture sucks now. you cant even buy the kicks you want without going above and beyond and out of your way. i think its officially time to throw in the towel

I'd stick around if only because I acknowledge it's a fad. Look at all the other fads through the years once the market bottoms out, the people that are really into a thing can pick through the bones for pennies on the dollar. I picked up some comics from the early 90s from artists/writers I loved and still love to read from quarter bins after the bottom fell out of that hobby. I don't think prices will ever fall that low for some sneakers, but if they do I'll be ready to jump on it and round out my collection with some shoes I wanted, but not bad enough to spend the high market rate.

its far from dead. it will be dead when the sneaker companies file for bankruptcy or when kids stop caring about sneakers

Originally Posted by 23SOLE

Yes I said it. Agree or disagree? All these line ups, marked up prices with bad quality, limited hyperquickstrikes, re-sellers, and bandwagon idiots killed it along with all the stupid sneaker cakes, sneaker gas mask, Galaxy, elephant print, glow in the dark, on EVERYTHING is dead. I don't wanna stick around and find out what happens in the future... Gone are the good ol days and those who are 30 years old or older can relate.
agree and disagree

I agree on the part about the resellers, hypebeasts/banwagon idiots. They are getting more and more irritating. They also make it hard for those who loves kicks to get the sneakers they want.
Lastly, I agree that it's what's up that is why these 'sneakerheads' are hyped and going nuts for EVERY release. I swear that if nike releases a limited edition "air scalabrine 1" in a special colorway, people are gonna go nuts on it.

I disagree that it is dead. You are talking about sneaker collecting, which won't be possible if you don't buy kicks. How could you say its dead if a lot of people is in to buying kicks? Websites crashing, riots, and nike implementing their new twitter thing is a big implication that it is getting out of hand, which means lot of people are buying kicks. Therefore more "sneaker collectors"

Short story short.The hypebeasts/"bandwagon idiots" , and resellers are bad for the game. But they don't kill the game. They might be irritating and sometimes take your passion out of sneakers, but at the end of the day, it's on you. You either let these resellers and hypebeasts beat you or you do the best way possible to buy a certain shoe that you really really like.

I'm not saying anybody here is right or wrong. Just stating my opinion
happy.gif

For me it is. I've never considered myself to be a collector but the fact that I can't wear them everyday sucks so I've bought way less than I used to. Quality sucks too so its easy for me to pass on the stuff that comes out now. I don't see it "dying" any time soon tho. Too many shoes coming out with even more people eating them up. Business if booming for JB.

agreed, but threads like this one popping up everyday in JB makes me feel the way I do about the JB section.

But like dude above said, I'll just slow down for right now, stack my money, and be back in full effect when everybody leaves this fad.

Sneaker "collecting" won't be done with until everyone who has a decent sized collection sells off all their pairs.. and even then, it'll probably go to someone who wants a pair to add to their collection. Just because it isn't what it was doesn't mean that it's done. It's a fad for the kids of today who only want what everyone else is getting, but you still got dudes who have knowledge in the game and are still collecting all the pairs that they missed out on back in the day. You do have a point though, with all the hypebeasts and resellers in the way, it's more like we're fighting for shoes now not even collecting.. Nike and JB limiting their shoes to cause hype and create more business around it.. there are so many directions that you can point the finger in.

What the kids are doing by reselling all these new retros isn't "sneaker collecting". THAT is a fad.

It isn't dead, it's polluted with resellers & hypebeasts. I'm only 25 & I cop for Nostalgic reasons because my parents always kept me in Jordans so I have memories of these sneakers & watching MJ play & the next morning at the playground or recess wearing those Jordans & trying that fade away jumper. I started collecting with the 01 Black/Red 11's (I hate the term BRED btw) & haven't stopped since. Even this release for the Playoff 12's was a must cop because these were the last pair of Jordans my mother bought me before she became really sick with cancer (R.I.P. Mom). 

I can understand these younger kids liking the shoe & wanting it, so I don't get mad at them. I don't get upset with others my age or older who couldn't afford the OG's in the past so now cop all the ones they wanted back in the day. They're the exemptions. These hypebeasts & resellers kill me because they don't know the history behind the shoes & only want to make profit or fit in with what's hot right now. I can't wait for this trend to fade to black. The best thing for a lot of us is that we built relationships with those who work in the sneaker stores & mom & pop shops so it makes it a little easier to get our pairs. It's just the waiting in lines for hours, camping & refreshing internet browsers a million and one times is what makes it so annoying.

Lol I love the threads that salty people who couldn't cop their pair come out with every release

It's not dead. For me though, collecting Jordans is on life support. I'm actually considering selling most of my retro and retro plus colorways, keeping my true favorites. I hardly wear my Jordans since I've been buying so many Kobe and Lebrons for the last 4 years. And now the KD line is killing it. Jordan Brand is on it's last breath for me.

As a long time collector... (almost 30 myself) I completely agree. It's getting annoying. So many people want the shoes, and have NO idea what they are. People in Houston today are calling around looking for "shamu" Jordan 12. Yes, shamu.... As in the killer whale from sea world. %+%??I'm bout done wit Jordans. I've been done with lining up. If I really want the shoe, I will buy it, but I find myself wanting them less and less because of all the BS that comes with it

Originally Posted by Magic1978

It's a fad, it's the in thing right now. I hope it ends soon.

i hope so too

getting ridiculous where even the worst shoe/CW is impossible to get online
30t6p3b.gif

Here it is. Been waiting for this thread since yesterdays release.
After every shoe release these days we get threads like this one from people who are salty they didn't/couldn't cop.
Its getting a bit ridiculous

I say dead meaning it's not like how it used to be. Sneaker collecting wheather they're Jordans, SB Dunks, AF1's, etc has lost that appeal because the market brands know now that people go crazy over certain type shoes and will limit everything to build up the hype. They'll slap that price tag and see what extremes consumers will go to purchase them ie: Nike Elite, Air Yeezy 2, Jordan 2012 and so on for $223-$250 a pop. What's next a few years down the line? What other "packages" are going to be released or "anniversary" special editions are going to drop? Back in the days shoes were just shoes. No special limited edition crap. They were simply a dope design and were easy to get AND they had tons of them and on top of that they had top notch quality. Now to get something like that it's as if you have to give up a kidney and some fingers. Again gone are those days of collecting shoes in that manner. We used to walk in the store and walk out with lots of shoes at hand. Back in 99 when the IV's first retro'd they were no lines.. And they weren't limited.. Even in 2000 when concords retro'd.. Easy pick up! I even went back to exchange sizes and picked up another pair!... I'm from Chicago btw (Jordan City).. It's completely changed and gone down hill and to me it's Dead.

Originally Posted by donttalkitlivit

As a long time collector... (almost 30 myself) I completely agree. It's getting annoying. So many people want the shoes, and have NO idea what they are. People in Houston today are calling around looking for "shamu" Jordan 12. Yes, shamu.... As in the killer whale from sea world. %+%??I'm bout done wit Jordans. I've been done with lining up. If I really want the shoe, I will buy it, but I find myself wanting them less and less because of all the BS that comes with it

I thought the bs "Theraflu 12's" I heard some youngster say today was the worst but "Shamu" is hands down the worst name ever when reference Jordans
laugh.gif

to me having 150 pairs of kicks in the crib is OD .... there was a time I had 80 -90 pairs of kicks and didnt know what to do with all of them. I gave some away.. threw a few out and still have 20 or so in storage across the country.

I have about 25 kicks in rotation and I like a lot of shoes but Im not dressing like Im going to a photo-shoot everyday so I can pass on a release or 4

I know I miss the days when I could stroll into the mall before lunch and try on a few pairs to find the correct fit and one that was flawless. 
I miss BS'ing with the employees complaining that the retro's were $115-$135

I miss being able to use coupons on Jordans.

I miss calling Eastbay the morning of release to get a pair. 

Actually I didn't want to cop these playoff 12's because I have the og 12's fr 97 still and the ones fr 2004's too. I did however went to see how hyped up these were and saw the line up for these which I found astonishing to say the least. My oh my how times have changed. Lately there's a line up for everything. Nike RSVP not in full effect yet here in the Chi (re-modeling) im sure other retailers will follow. But I am salty of the entire sneaker culture.

Back
Top Bottom