Sneaker Consignment Shops (trying to start one in Cleveland)

By the way lil tidbit that most people don't know... Selling LeBrons in Cleveland is officially a double edged sword.... As most people would suspect they don't sell nearly as much as they use to.

But the demand for certain colorways i.e. the soutch beaches etc is def still here.

Footlocker in Tower City is pretty much cut off from the LeBron line now because they sold nearly NO pairs of the 8s at all (location is to close to the Q)

I could see a lot more footlockers getting cut off as time passes by, (That hate in Cleveland is DEEP)

Therefore there is a demand because there are def still people who still want LeBrons but the vast majority of the colorways won't sell at all.

Originally Posted by jbfsu9

Sounds good to me. From Cleveland heights

pimp.gif

I wish you the best, but I don't see it succeeding. I've seen shops fail in Philadelphia when the "sneaker hype" was much greater. Plus, for a store like this to work, you really need a strong economy. When times are tight, people are not going to overpay for sneakers at a consignment store.

I wish you the best, but I don't see it succeeding. I've seen shops fail in Philadelphia when the "sneaker hype" was much greater. Plus, for a store like this to work, you really need a strong economy. When times are tight, people are not going to overpay for sneakers at a consignment store.

Originally Posted by FullTech

start off selling kicks online then branch off into real stores

I agree with this.

Websites are much cheaper than actual brick and mortar stores. Not to mention you don't have to really hire employees....
smokin.gif

As I stated before I been selling kicks thru JUST nt for a while now and I have made very good money doing it. I know if I had my own site I'd have a chance to make even more

Originally Posted by FullTech

start off selling kicks online then branch off into real stores

I agree with this.

Websites are much cheaper than actual brick and mortar stores. Not to mention you don't have to really hire employees....
smokin.gif

As I stated before I been selling kicks thru JUST nt for a while now and I have made very good money doing it. I know if I had my own site I'd have a chance to make even more

I'm from Cleveland and I doubt it would work man. Our shoe market isn't that big down here. I don't know too many collectors from here.

I'm from Cleveland and I doubt it would work man. Our shoe market isn't that big down here. I don't know too many collectors from here.

Originally Posted by doyung9

Hmmm... so you want to open a sneaker store (consignment).

Few things to think about.

1) How much expendable income do you have? Meaning, how much money can you dump into this project right now and still be able to feed yourself, clothe yourself, and shelter yourself? To open a sneaker/clothing store (non-consignment) after all the start up fees, random costs that are relevant to licenses, renovations, etc. and placing initial orders (if you're credit is good enough, most major brands aren't going to let you COD) you're look at minimum $75,000, optimum $175,000.

2) Do you have connects? REAL connects. Like, a manager at your local footaction who'll let you get as many Cool Grey's as you want when they release for at least 30% off retail so that you can sell them at retail or slightly higher and not be caught in the wave of everyone selling them at "aftermarket" value. Because if you're buying at retail ($175) and selling for anything less than say, $250, you're wasting time and money because the cost of overhead will outweigh the $50 or so dollars profit you see.

3) Do you have backstock already available? Have you been putting FSR's to the side of popular shoes that have high re-sale value for a while now? Because if you can easily access it now, chances are no one wanted it when it first released.

There are other things to think about... but to be honest kid, unless you've got something that's going to REALLY make your store stand out from the major players in consignment, it's a TERRIBLE idea. There's Flight Club and then there's everyone else.

Don't do it.

Truth.

Originally Posted by doyung9

Hmmm... so you want to open a sneaker store (consignment).

Few things to think about.

1) How much expendable income do you have? Meaning, how much money can you dump into this project right now and still be able to feed yourself, clothe yourself, and shelter yourself? To open a sneaker/clothing store (non-consignment) after all the start up fees, random costs that are relevant to licenses, renovations, etc. and placing initial orders (if you're credit is good enough, most major brands aren't going to let you COD) you're look at minimum $75,000, optimum $175,000.

2) Do you have connects? REAL connects. Like, a manager at your local footaction who'll let you get as many Cool Grey's as you want when they release for at least 30% off retail so that you can sell them at retail or slightly higher and not be caught in the wave of everyone selling them at "aftermarket" value. Because if you're buying at retail ($175) and selling for anything less than say, $250, you're wasting time and money because the cost of overhead will outweigh the $50 or so dollars profit you see.

3) Do you have backstock already available? Have you been putting FSR's to the side of popular shoes that have high re-sale value for a while now? Because if you can easily access it now, chances are no one wanted it when it first released.

There are other things to think about... but to be honest kid, unless you've got something that's going to REALLY make your store stand out from the major players in consignment, it's a TERRIBLE idea. There's Flight Club and then there's everyone else.

Don't do it.

Truth.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I think I'm gonna start working on a website and try and get the word out to individuals in the cleveland area that I'm doing this on a small-scale basis to kind of test the market. I wouldn't charge any more than a 10-15% fee on these transactions seeing as my only costs are going to be my time spent updating the website and shipping them out. Anyone else got anything else to contribute please do so.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I think I'm gonna start working on a website and try and get the word out to individuals in the cleveland area that I'm doing this on a small-scale basis to kind of test the market. I wouldn't charge any more than a 10-15% fee on these transactions seeing as my only costs are going to be my time spent updating the website and shipping them out. Anyone else got anything else to contribute please do so.

look like, we are on the same boat.
I want to open a store too in Cleveland.
Maybe we can have a talk

look like, we are on the same boat.
I want to open a store too in Cleveland.
Maybe we can have a talk

Back
Top Bottom