so Harry Belafonte Condemns Jay-z and beyonce Vol. Bruce Springsteen is black to him

But ultimately it's up to the listener to expect more from these musicians who don't.  I'm not going to be one to harp on a rapper for not making a stance.  That's their prerogative.  Change will happen the minute people stop putting these guys on pedestals and worshiping their every move.  There are other people out there making a difference in these communities who go unnoticed.  It's time to shift these "hero-worshiping" eyes from rappers/athletes to others who are out there making a difference. 

Funny that Rick Ross would immediately come up on the first page (not you, but the usual character...) when this isn't even about him. No one is using anything against his "success".

I'm the first to praise his genius as a marketer and a politician. This has less to do with his "success" than the manner in which William Roberts has carried himself. And the danger in that.

I agree with you in the sense that it is up to the listener to expect more from these musicians who don't. I mean, if we're just going to allow artists to pretend to be cocaine kingpins and glorify that lifestyle to an audience of teenagers, and accept it, well, that is a recipe for disaster.

That is the public image that is being portrayed. A lifestyle being discussed publicly by someone who by all accounts, did not partake in that lifestyle (at least on that level). That isn't dangerous?

So because I'd like a rapper (OR ANY MUSICIAN. Because right now Rap is the only mainstream genre where these falsehoods seem to take place and be accepted) to have a certain credibility to their music, I'm asking to be lied to? When there is really only one rapper out there that people view as a blatant liar as far as I can tell.

Lupe, Kweli, Kanye, TI, and a slew of others DO NOT fall into that category. What are Wiz and Currensy lying about? These are the artists I chose to listen to.

Funny because the same people that will tell you crack ruined the Black community have no problem with a rapper glorifying cocaine trafficing and pushing that rhetoric onto a mainstream audience.

Here's the thing. You guys, I would imagine are bordering on adulthood if you aren't already. And maybe you parents that properly guided you through life. I was lucky in that sense. Raised by a single mother. But I also grew up listening to Public Enemy, BDP, Eric B and Rakim. Thought provoking music. That I believe had a genuinely positive effect on me. And I was still WILD.

Are we really going to pretend like there aren't thousands up thousands of young people in this country that do not have that same guidance? That these same young people do not "hero worship" these rappers and athletes? Because they do. I think a lot of you TOTALLY underestimate that because it doesn't pertain to you personally.

I wish we could shift the focus onto the others that are making a difference. But it's the rappers and athletes that seem to have all the influence. Kanye has GROWN MEN thirsty for his hideous sneakers.

So is it too much to ask that they use that influence in a positive manner? No. Is it ultimately their prerogative whether or not they want to. Sure.

But he's not wrong to at least ask for more from them. Because we've already accepted so much less.

Sure, the easy thing to say is "why don't we address the real problem". Teen parenthood, lack of education etc. There is no ONE real problem. ALL of these things are problems.

End rant.

I watched his documentary on HBO...but what do you expect from a former drug dealer and chick who performs damn near naked shaking it on stage?
They just wanted a huge piece of the American pie and they got it...social activism is far from their agenda.
This is very true, sometimes people forget, that jayz was a dope dealer( worse thing ever to me) and that bey is a child star stuffed with vanity.

The plight to better the world is not the agenda for everyone, I wish it was though

Y'all gotta understand that Harry Belafonte came up in an era in which many of the most popular and successful Black entertainers were social activists. Many of these people were actual leaders (something sorely lacking in the hip-hop world and entertainment world in general today) who played a tremendous role in the social changes that were taking place in the 1960s and 1970s. This included musicians (James Brown, Aretha Franklin, Curtis Mayfield, Marvin Gaye, Funkadelic, Parliament, etc.), athletes (Muhammad Ali, Jim Brown, Jackie Robinson, Bill Russell, etc.), and actors (Belafonte, Ossie Davis, Sidney Poitier, etc.). These were entertainers BUT they were also social activists. Do y'all not feel that it's a regression that essentially no such Black figures exist in music, sports, or acting today??

For those saying that Jay-Z probably contributes to charity privately, y'all are missing the bigger point. Belafonte is not talking about he wishes Black entertainers would contribute more to charity privately. He's talking about people being public leaders in addressing social issues and using their power to help stimulate social change...

good points here. but the thing is, a lot of people black people and america in general like to believe we are past a time where such social activism is needed. i disagree, but case in point - look at kanye. everytime he spoke up regarding black issues, dude got crucified. and thatll mess ya money up real quick. jay-z and beyonce probably fall back on black activism because they don't want to be those controversial figures. its sad, but for them, in todays world, playing it even keel and contributing privately will be more helpful than being in headlines for controversial stances.

edit:

and another thing. jay-z has a lot of black activist view point in interviews and in his lyrics. naturally, hes a reserved dude so he choose his platforms wisely to express his views. i think mr belafonte is being unfair because the landscape and platforms for expressing views has changed a lot since his days.

I think that's part of Belafonte's point, though. That is, that Black entertainers of this era are too safe. They don't stand for anything except money. This hasn't always been the case...

Old black people have ruin the younger black generation, so quick to condemn but never any follow through smh

So out of all the problems in our community, you choose "older black people" to have ruined us?

The none bolded part is of merit though. They fought hard to give us a better world so that we wouldn't have to fight as hard, and now that's come to fruition (sorta), that somehow turned to resentment.

Last edited:
The none bolded part is of merit though. They fought hard to give us a better world so that we wouldn't have to fight as hard, and now that's come to fruition (sorta), that somehow turned to resentment.

Can you blame them?

Y'all gotta understand that Harry Belafonte came up in an era in which many of the most popular and successful Black entertainers were social activists. Many of these people were actual leaders (something sorely lacking in the hip-hop world and entertainment world in general today) who played a tremendous role in the social changes that were taking place in the 1960s and 1970s. This included musicians (James Brown, Aretha Franklin, Curtis Mayfield, Marvin Gaye, Funkadelic, Parliament, etc.), athletes (Muhammad Ali, Jim Brown, Jackie Robinson, Bill Russell, etc.), and actors (Belafonte, Ossie Davis, Sidney Poitier, etc.). These were entertainers BUT they were also social activists. Do y'all not feel that it's a regression that essentially no such Black figures exist in music, sports, or acting today??

For those saying that Jay-Z probably contributes to charity privately, y'all are missing the bigger point. Belafonte is not talking about he wishes Black entertainers would contribute more to charity privately. He's talking about people being public leaders in addressing social issues and using their power to help stimulate social change...

good points here. but the thing is, a lot of people black people and america in general like to believe we are past a time where such social activism is needed. i disagree, but case in point - look at kanye. everytime he spoke up regarding black issues, dude got crucified. and thatll mess ya money up real quick. jay-z and beyonce probably fall back on black activism because they don't want to be those controversial figures. its sad, but for them, in todays world, playing it even keel and contributing privately will be more helpful than being in headlines for controversial stances.

edit:

and another thing. jay-z has a lot of black activist view point in interviews and in his lyrics. naturally, hes a reserved dude so he choose his platforms wisely to express his views. i think mr belafonte is being unfair because the landscape and platforms for expressing views has changed a lot since his days.
Are we beyond NEEDING progress? Hell no. We have a LOT of stuff to do.

But I don't want anyone to do that who doesn't feel compelled to do it.

I don't want Waka to start rapping about Peta or to start campaigning on stopping violence.  If he wanted to, he'd do it in the first place.

Don't ask for accountability from people who already don't want to be accountable. Embrace those who take it upon themselves to do it anyways. 
But you want everyone to support gay marriage even if they don't "feel compelled" to do so...
Talking about legal rights says nothing about asking entertainers to support a cause. 

Being against gay marriage is not the same as being against minority rights. 

Ultimately I realize that not everyone WILL support a cause, but being AGAINST a cause is something I oppose. 

You're better off saying that Jay-Z and Beyonce are AGAINST the minority advancement or rights. And you know thats not true. 

edit:

I don't want Waka to start rapping about Peta or to start campaigning on stopping violence.  If he wanted to, he'd do it in the first place.

Don't ask for accountability from people who already don't want to be accountable. Embrace those who take it upon themselves to do it anyways. 

But you want everyone to support gay marriage even if they don't "feel compelled" to do so...

Talking about legal rights says nothing about asking entertainers to support a cause. 

Ultimately I realize that not everyone WILL support a cause, but being AGAINST a cause is something I oppose. 

You're better off saying that Jay-Z and Beyonce are AGAINST the minority advancement or rights. And you know thats not true. 

And you think that this is how you discuss gay marriage? In these terms?

:rofl:

But ultimately it's up to the listener to expect more from these musicians who don't.  I'm not going to be one to harp on a rapper for not making a stance.  That's their prerogative.  Change will happen the minute people stop putting these guys on pedestals and worshiping their every move.  There are other people out there making a difference in these communities who go unnoticed.  It's time to shift these "hero-worshiping" eyes from rappers/athletes to others who are out there making a difference. 
Funny that Rick Ross would immediately come up on the first page (not you, but the usual character...) when this isn't even about him. No one is using anything against his "success".

I'm the first to praise his genius as a marketer and a politician. This has less to do with his "success" than the manner in which William Roberts has carried himself. And the danger in that.

I agree with you in the sense that it is up to the listener to expect more from these musicians who don't. I mean, if we're just going to allow artists to pretend to be cocaine kingpins and glorify that lifestyle to an audience of teenagers, and accept it, well, that is a recipe for disaster.

That is the public image that is being portrayed. A lifestyle being discussed publicly by someone who by all accounts, did not partake in that lifestyle (at least on that level). That isn't dangerous?

So because I'd like a rapper (OR ANY MUSICIAN. Because right now Rap is the only mainstream genre where these falsehoods seem to take place and be accepted) to have a certain credibility to their music, I'm asking to be lied to? When there is really only one rapper out there that people view as a blatant liar as far as I can tell.

Lupe, Kweli, Kanye, TI, and a slew of others DO NOT fall into that category. What are Wiz and Currensy lying about? These are the artists I chose to listen to.

Funny because the same people that will tell you crack ruined the Black community have no problem with a rapper glorifying cocaine trafficing and pushing that rhetoric onto a mainstream audience.

Here's the thing. You guys, I would imagine are bordering on adulthood if you aren't already. And maybe you parents that properly guided you through life. I was lucky in that sense. Raised by a single mother. But I also grew up listening to Public Enemy, BDP, Eric B and Rakim. Thought provoking music. That I believe had a genuinely positive effect on me. And I was still WILD.

Are we really going to pretend like there aren't thousands up thousands of young people in this country that do not have that same guidance? That these same young people do not "hero worship" these rappers and athletes? Because they do. I think a lot of you TOTALLY underestimate that because it doesn't pertain to you personally.

I wish we could shift the focus onto the others that are making a difference. But it's the rappers and athletes that seem to have all the influence. Kanye has GROWN MEN thirsty for his hideous sneakers.

So is it too much to ask that they use that influence in a positive manner? No. Is it ultimately their prerogative whether or not they want to. Sure.

But he's not wrong to at least ask for more from them. Because we've already accepted so much less.

Sure, the easy thing to say is "why don't we address the real problem". Teen parenthood, lack of education etc. There is no ONE real problem. ALL of these things are problems.

End rant.
And I'm not wrong to ask for more Ice Cream after dinner.

Jay-Z and Beyonce aren't obligated to turn their artistic talents towards a cause if they don't feel like it. 

Would it be cool if they did? ABSOLUTELY.

But in as much as I would like people to support gay marriage, I know that not everyone else will merely because I want them to. Artists are ESPECIALLY not obligated to change THEIR artistic expression just to fit someone elses goal. Thats what "art" is in the first place, right? 

Its essentially censorship to say that like chickfila, they can't have that stance, BUT in as much as I protect their right to have their views, I will equally chastise their stance. 

Beyonce and Jay-Z don't owe you all a damn thing besides a "thank you" for the albums and tickets you purchased. 

Last edited:

edit:

I think that's part of Belafonte's point, though. That is, that Black entertainers of this era are too safe. They don't stand for anything except money. This hasn't always been the case...
Oh really? 

The starving artist mantra is so played out.

I love how only the big and most popular artists get called out on their...popularity.

Belafonte loses favor in my eyes because he just shoots at the people at the top instead of asking for more from everyone across the board.

If I was Jay-Z listening to this, I'd shun him completely. How are you going to attack me only because I'm on top? I don't see you coming at other dudes who are coming up, do you? 

Why not just say what he really wants to say. He has a problem with modern rap/hip-hop. 

People really and truly stay throwing shots at "the throne" so to speak. 

Last edited:
Not entirely, but what did they expect?

Well considering what many of them stood for, we haven't done too great of a job building on that. We are far ahead of where we were but we have lost many along the way. Too many. They're still so many problems that need to be addressed that aren't being properly addressed.

edit:

And you think that this is how you discuss gay marriage? In these terms?

roll.gif
I know not everyone likes Pepperoni, but I will oppose those who shoot down pepperoni? 

What? 

The real problem here is that people don't embrace the people who ARE doing this stuff. 

Its easy for Belafonte to have beef with someone but not praise the positive efforts of others. Did he name one person whose efforts he DID like? 

The problem with progressive movements is that the old generation always feels like new comers don't "pay homage" when in reality, the biggest homage that could be paid is for things to NOT go back to the way they were. 

Belafonte wants to still be praised himself is what this comes down to. No one is taking anything away from him, but him being upset with the present state of things AND not offering examples of what he does like shows what this is really about.

Last edited:
The real problem here is that people don't embrace the people who ARE doing this stuff. 

Its easy for Belafonte to have beef with someone but not praise the positive efforts of others

And that's my issue with these poundcakers.

Oh really? 

I love how only the big and most popular artists get called out on their...popularity.

Belafonte loses favor in my eyes because he just shoots at the people at the top instead of asking for more from everyone across the board.

If I was Jay-Z listening to this, I'd shun him completely. How are you going to attack me only because I'm on top? I don't see you coming at other dudes who are coming up, do you? 

Why not just say what he really wants to say. He has a problem with modern rap/hip-hop. 

As the old saying goes, it starts at the top.

In that interview, he did say that they were used as examples. I'm sure he has a problem with many black stars.

Jay is VERY influential. So its fair to expect more from him IMO. For whom much is given. Much is expected.

Do you agree with President Obama wanting the upper class in this country to pay more taxes?

Real progressives don't look for the legitimacy of others. They "do" without the validation and recognition of others. 

we might as well be debating the "means" vs "the ends" right now. 

I'm not mad at Jay for living his life as he pleases but he could do more.

You can't even build a single computer room in Marcy but you further the gentrification of your old hood with no dambs given?

PSA's against antisemitism while glorifying the destruction of the black community?

Ok bro... :lol:

Then again people are always gonna want you to do more when you're at his status so I can't be mad at him doing his own thing.

He is a puppet to Jewish business men but at the end of the day so am I (right now)...so who am I to criticize?

To be fair his content has matured with him and he makes his lil donations (tax write offs) every now and then but he's clearly not interested in being a voice for his people of an activist celebrity. He's just about his bread and enjoying his life.

Jay-Z is just another man and so am I. I know my capacity for change and thats what I'm really worried about. Until I step it up, I'm in no position to really slander him....Harry Belafonte on the other hand, has every right to roast him.

IDK, on 1 hand I cant blame them for doing something if they dont feel like it, but on the other hand, whats the point of having power and influence if you arent going to use it to better your people. I guess I could only look at what I would do

Oh really? 

As the old saying goes, it starts at the top.

In that interview, he did say that they were used as examples. I'm sure he has a problem with many black stars.

Jay is VERY influential. So its fair to expect more from him IMO. For whom much is given. Much is expected.
So? 

Every famous person doesn't have an obligation to be socially progressive. 

Thats why conservatives dislike liberals sometimes. 

Making Jay become something he isn't already is just another form of censorship. 

For example, did you expect Waka to do this?

OF COURSE NOT.

Waka did this because HE wanted to.

Wake did that because HE felt it was important.

Jay-Z is a grown man. He knows what he wants to do and he'll do it when he damn well pleases. Hes not 20 year old Soulja Boy. Hes pushin 43! This isn't some little boy Belafonte is talking to. 

If Jay-Z wants to become the next Fela Kuti (a play he actually supported financially 
eyes.gif
) then he'll do so under his own volition.

If we make him do it, then he'll never be committed to it 
Do you agree with President Obama wanting the upper class in this country to pay more taxes?
Yes, but what does this have to do with anything? 

End rant.

WELL put.

It's easier said than done to shift our focus from rappers/athletes to others out there who are making a difference in the communities. Like I said, I don't expect anything from these guys making music other than I liked to be entertained. I don't get caught up in their extra-curricular stuff, because I take what they do at face value. On the flip, I have to check myself at times because there are plenty of people out there who don't think like me on this issue.

You made a hell of a point about grown men being parched for Kanye's sneakers. That goes to show the reach/influence that these guys do have. After sitting back and thinking about where Belafonte is coming from, I do get his POV, but I see things differently. Imagine the the kickback from Nike if Kanye said "I want my sneakers priced at $89.99. If not, I'm taking my brand somewhere else."? To many rappers today, it's capitalism > social stance. They don't want to do anything to hurt their future earnings.

The problem lies deeper than just the social stance of celebrities. You hit the nail on the head when bringing up teen parenthood, lack of education, etc. It's a problem that rappers are glorified in certain areas and ultimately looked up to when their lyrics are saturated by misogyny, racism, and ignorance, amongst other things. Portraying (or actually living) a lifestyle that's not conducive to being normal member of society. But, these are some of the guys that people choose to look up to.

A better job has to be done in the home as far as educating and making people aware of the good that is being done by those who are not in the public's eye 24/7 due to their "celebrity." There are regular people in every community that are more than worthy of being looked up to. Maybe the day will come when the focus will shift, but I highly doubt it.

Oh really? 

"Starving artist mantra?" Once again, where do you get this from?

And if you know anything about Harry Belafonte, you would know that he does demand more of everyone at all levels. From families, to communities, to community leaders, to social institutions, to elected officials, to entertainers. This short article doesn't encapsulate his entire perspective with regards to every single person or group of people...

IDK, on 1 hand I cant blame them for doing something if they dont feel like it, but on the other hand, whats the point of having power and influence if you arent going to use it to better your people. I guess I could only look at what I would do
Fallacy. 

You just want him to use that power and influence how YOU want it used. You don't care about what Jay-Z wants, you're only concerned about yourself.

If Jay-Z wants to help you, you'll know it. 

IMO dudes like Jay do have a onus to be a strong voice for their people...he became rich influencing millions of brothers and sisters into iniquity, now that hes rich, famous and comfortable the least he can do is try to negate some of that impact in the same forceful manner.

Back
Top Bottom