So I just copped a 40gb PS3............ One question *****FOR 40 GIG OWNERS*********

Well my 360 was stolen on Thanksgiving. I kinda think it was a blessing in disguise since my online never worked and I felt it was gonna crap out at any secondwith all the freezes. So I got a ps3 40g last night off ebay for $250, mainly for the blueray alone. My question is, I've googled a bunch of times on theps2 backwards compatibility and the most I found was there was a firmware update in Oct for the feature, but nothing confirmed. Those with the 40gig did theyupdate it? I'd really like to go back and finish Snake Eater before I pick up MGS4. Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately, I can't drop too much info about the backwards compatibility (I have the 60GB so I don't think about it too much), but I will say youmust finish Snake Eater before starting MGS4. It's not necessary, but it makes it so much better.

Some dude at best buy told me you can download a patch or something to play old PS2 games online. I did some research and really couldn't find anythingso I just went and got an 80 gig PS3 that plays old PS1 and PS2 games.

Beat MGS 1-3 on there with no problems. Also the built in meomry cards for both PS1 and PS2
pimp.gif

yeah my boy said his 40gig works with ps2 games, but he could have been very well bsing me too just to talk.

I got REALLY far on Snake Eater too, up to the river of souls board and just kinda stopped playing for whatever reason was going on at that time.

I also want to play GOW 2 before 3 comes out. I just beat Chains of Olympus on PSP which was nice.

I dont think any of the 40 gigs are backwards compatible.
[table][tr][th=""]Model [/th] [th=""]Model number(s)
[sup][a][/sup] [/th] [th=""]Available colors [/th] [th=""]USB 2.0 ports [/th] [th=""]802.11 b/g Wi-Fi [/th] [th=""]Flash card readers [/th] [th=""]SACD support[sup][43][/sup] [/th] [th=""]PS2 compatibility
[/th] [th=""]First available [/th] [th=""]In production [/th] [/tr][tr][td]20 GB
(NTSC) [sup][44][/sup][/td] [td]CECHBxx[/td] [td]Piano Black[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]No[/td] [td]No[/td] [td]Yes[/td] [td]Yes
Hardware (Emotion Engine)[/td] [td]2006-11-01November 2006[/td] [td]No[sup][45][/sup][/td] [/tr][tr][td]40 GB
(PAL, NTSC)[sup][46][/sup][/td] [td]CECHGxx, CECHHxx[/td] [td]Piano Black
Ceramic white[sup]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playstation_3#endnote_HDMC_table_note_b[/sup]
Satin silver[sup][c][/sup][sup][47][/sup]
Gun-Metal Gray[sup][d][/sup][sup][48][/sup]
[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]Yes[/td] [td]No[/td] [td]No[/td] [td]No[/td] [td]2007-10-01 October 2007
November 2007[/td] [td]No[sup][49][/sup][/td]
[/tr][tr][td]60 GB
(NTSC) [sup][44][/sup][/td] [td]CECHAxx[/td] [td]Piano Black[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]Yes[/td] [td]Yes[/td] [td]Yes[/td] [td]Yes
Hardware (Emotion Engine)[/td] [td]2006-11-01November 2006[/td] [td]No[/td] [/tr][tr][td]60 GB
(PAL) [sup][44][/sup][/td] [td]CECHCxx[/td] [td]Piano Black[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]Yes[/td] [td]Yes[/td] [td]Yes[/td] [td]Yes
Software (emulation)[/td] [td]2007-03-01March 2007[/td] [td]No[/td] [/tr][tr][td]80 GB
(NTSC) [sup][44][/sup][/td] [td]CECHExx[/td] [td]Piano Black[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]Yes[/td] [td]Yes[/td] [td]Yes[/td] [td]Yes
Software (emulation)[/td] [td]2007-08-01August 2007[/td] [td]No[/td] [/tr][tr][td]80 GB
(PAL, NTSC) [sup][49][/sup][sup][50][/sup][/td] [td]CECHKxx[/td] [td]Piano Black[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]Yes[/td] [td]No[/td] [td]No[/td] [td]No[/td] [td]2008-08-01 August 2008
October 2008[/td] [td]Yes[/td] [/tr][tr][td]160 GB
(PAL, NTSC) [sup][51][/sup][sup][52][/sup][/td] [td]CECHPxx[/td] [td]Piano Black[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]Yes[/td] [td]No[/td] [td]No[/td] [td]No[/td] [td]2008-10-01 October 2008
November 2008[/td] [td]Yes[/td] [/tr]
[/table]
All models include: Blu-ray/DVD/CD drive, HDMI 1.3a,[sup][53][/sup]Bluetooth 2.0, Gigabit Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX,1000BASE-T), PlayStation One backward compatibility[sup][54][/sup] through software emulation,[sup][55][/sup] and a glossy finish[sup][56][/sup]
^ a Model numbers differ by region. See PlayStation 3 hardware - model numbers for details.
^ b Ceramic white model available in Asia and Japan only.
^ c Satin silver model available in Asia and Japan only.
^ d Gun-Metal Gray model is only available as part of the MGS4 bundle.

ps3 online sucks #+%.. i mean its free and all that.. but also you be dcing alot.. lagging..

hard to play madden on ps3

Thanks for that gil, but my question was there was supposedly a firmware update in OCT that corrected this and allows backwards compatibility. There has to besome folks on here that has a 40 gig one with a few ps2 games lying around.

Originally Posted by LAzianBoi

ps3 online sucks #+%.. i mean its free and all that.. but also you be dcing alot.. lagging..

It may be you, Ive never had that problem.

Originally Posted by LAzianBoi

How does the online suck?!? If there are problems it is due to the game and not the system
smh.gif
I need to hear how XBL is soooooo much better than the PSN

Well XBL have maintainence so much, it has to be good!
laugh.gif

Every week or so, I hear my roomate cursing out Bill Gates when he wants to play NHL 09 online...
roll.gif

The only thing I like about PSN is it shows the prices in $ amounts and not points. Other than that I enjoy XBL more. And PSN is SLOW for us. Every game ordemo or movie DL even though it's hardwired to our internet and XBL is not.

I'm talking strictly downloads - i don't play online on the PSN

I heard in a few months 40 gig owners( i have one too) will be able to play ps2 games

So the 80gb doesn't have BC?

What the?

How am I suppose to play God of War 1 & 2 and SF Anniversary Collection?

Freaking weak.

Yeah, definitely holding out on swoopin' a PS3 now.

Originally Posted by stevielips

Thanks for that gil, but my question was there was supposedly a firmware update in OCT that corrected this and allows backwards compatibility. There has to be some folks on here that has a 40 gig one with a few ps2 games lying around.

I can try when I get home to see if ps2 games work on mine, I just updated mine yesterday.... I'm pretty sure I got a 40gig

Meh, i've had both, PSN and Live are about the same, i would even go to say that XBL isnt treating me right as of now, im getting DC'd off gears of warevery other game, lag every other game, and about every game there are glitches were i spawn without a weapon or the round wont end although everyone on theother team is dead.

its really frustrating cause im paying for the service.

PS3 SUCKS. Nuff said lets move on. By the way, if you got jacked for your 360. you might end up getting jacked for your PS3.

Originally Posted by djaward

PS3 SUCKS. Nuff said lets move on. By the way, if you got jacked for your 360. you might end up getting jacked for your PS3.

Yes because your opinion is a fact.
eyes.gif

This is gonna become another console war thread, so I'm gonna leave early.

Originally Posted by javier5857

Meh, i've had both, PSN and Live are about the same, i would even go to say that XBL isnt treating me right as of now, im getting DC'd off gears of war every other game, lag every other game, and about every game there are glitches were i spawn without a weapon or the round wont end although everyone on the other team is dead.

its really frustrating cause im paying for the service.
This has nothing to do with XBL its the Gears servers, im guessin that they didnt touch the online up as much as they should have but they arestill makeing patches for the game so hopefully the problem will be solved soon

Well considering I know the circumstances on how the 360 was originally jacked, I hope I'm better prepared this time. But if anyone here has a 40 gigps3 with the updates can you try a ps2 game and let me know if its working now??

Thanks!

Originally Posted by KB8sandiego

So the 80gb doesn't have BC?
What the?
How am I suppose to play God of War 1 & 2 and SF Anniversary Collection?
Freaking weak.
Yeah, definitely holding out on swoopin' a PS3 now.
u play them on ur ps2, the current 40gb and 80gb PS3s i doubt have backwards compatability, ur last chance at it is this PS3which includes MGS4 which just got restocked on amazon, once its gone, ur out of luck on BC unless they do a firmware upgrade

Back
Top Bottom