So i just got a speeding ticket....

so heres my situation:
i was driving back from the gym on my campus and got pulled over by the campus police...
they gave me a ticket for going 45 on a 15 zone.
ive never gotten a speeding ticket before so i have no idea whats going to happen
does anybody know how this is gonna affect my license, insurance rates, etc.?
here are the details
i was driving my brothers car who is insured but my name isnt under his insurance
and i got my license about a month ago
so how bad is it?

Are campus cops real cops? if not don't worry about it. if yes then go to court and pay the fine so you dont get points.

$%* were you doing going 45 in a 15...your lucky they didn't take your license for doing double the speed limit....if you get points your effed go toschool or call a traffic lawyer and have them handle it...or you can pay it and take the points

It shouldn't affect your brother's insurance if your name isn't on it at all. You're lucky they didn't ticket you for no insurance.

I don't know where you live but in AZ If you're going like 20 or more over the speed limit, it's a criminal violation. Which means do whatever thejudge tells you to to get it lowered to civil . You WILL get points on your records. I got a ticket for 74 in a 35 and the judge dropped it from criminal tocivil but that caused fines to go up, put 3 points on my record, and I had to take traffic school and can't take the class again to drop a ticket for like2 years. But I'd still rather be int his situation than have to put this ticket on every job application I do, and it could have affected my citizenship.

And whoever said you don't get points for paying the fine, what is your reasoning. You pay a fine for the ticket. The ticket gives you points. Paying thefine means you either pleaded guilty or fought it and you were found guilty. Either way it means guilty which means points.

first off you should of lied to the cop just told him an excuse for speeding. but were already past that, so what you need to do is go to court
dont plead guilty plead not guilty and say you want to take it to take it all the way and they will probably just throw out the case there not really
just going to pursuit a small %++ campus speeding ticket.

^^^ Thats nto a small speeding ticket. If its criminal theres a good chance they'll pursue. Here in AZ it IS criminal and they crack down on speeders here.So to the OP. I suggest you find more info out about your states laws and whether or not its criminal. If it isn't, fight it. The worse that can happen isyou have to pay it anyways. But if its criminal I would't risk it. Do you really want to have a criminal record for something like this?

Its your first ticket...just pay the fine and ask for traffic school.. You wont get any points on your driving record if you are eligible and complete trafficschool...

fyi, Campus cops are real cops that are basically demoted..

Angel

Lil Brazil Bab, thanks for the info so far
i looked into the ny laws and im pretty sure its not a criminal violation.
at this point i dont even care about the fines i have to pay, i messed up so ill pay the fines
i just dont want my brothers insurance rates to go up. I looked online and couldn't find an answer to that.
Does anyone know how its going to affect my bros insurance?
thanks

Originally Posted by qwerty330

Lil Brazil Bab, thanks for the info so far
i looked into the ny laws and im pretty sure its not a criminal violation.
at this point i dont even care about the fines i have to pay, i messed up so ill pay the fines
i just dont want my brothers insurance rates to go up. I looked online and couldn't find an answer to that.
Does anyone know how its going to affect my bros insurance?
thanks

so you were committing insurance fraud while committing the violation in question?

Angel

Originally Posted by funkdoctor73

Its your first ticket...just pay the fine and ask for traffic school.. You wont get any points on your driving record if you are eligible and complete traffic school...

fyi, Campus cops are real cops that are basically demoted..

Angel

First ticket or not IF it is criminal its not that easy. I had my DL for longer, no tickets no accidents but because it was a criminal charge I had to takethe school just to get it dropped to a civil and didn't get the points taken off.

Oh..my bad..California laws are different when it comes to speeding..for example, it's considered attempted suicide if you are caught speeding over120+mph..

Angel

Originally Posted by funkdoctor73

Oh..my bad..California laws are different when it comes to speeding..for example, it's considered attempted suicide if you are caught speeding over 120+mph..

Angel
Yea I looked up and in AZ every speeding ticket is 3 points while in NY in differs depending on the speed. The OP was at 30mph over so if he gets thepoints it'll be 6. And sounds like traffic school will take at most 4 points off. So he'll probably get atleast 2 points regardless.

if it makes you feel better - i got 4 different speeding tickets in 2 different states in a 2month period. No Lawyers, No Suspensions and it did not affect mycar insurance. I payed the usual fine and received the points and went to two driving schools.

95mph on a 65

88mph on a 50

90mph on a 50

81mph on a 65

and yes I have received tickets prior to this.

What I did: Go to court, admit to guilt and ask for forgiveness basically. I see some dumb ninjas trying to argue with the judge in court which is a NO,NO.Before entering the court try to talk to the cop and ask him if he can "put in a good word for you". Other than that I don't have much tosay...Slow down I guess
laugh.gif

^^

Yes same rule applies here in VA.. But they send me there anyways as a punishment I guess - I don't think it decreased my points. But I have managed to getsome points off of my record due to the Nice judge who is merciful
laugh.gif

Ive gotten way too many tickets... gotten completely off on the last 3, plead not guilty on all of them...

1st one i went to court and cop didnt show = dismissed
2nd one cop left the station = got mailing from chief saying it was dismissed
3rd one i requested a supporting deposition from the cop, he didnt send = dismissed

all the ones before that i plead not guilty and had reduced to a non moving violation, no points on my license, paid small fines

SWiFT Yons, how much were the fines?
also, my friend told me that if the cop doesnt go to court, you automatically win
is that true?

also, my friend told me that if the cop doesnt go to court, you automatically win
is that true?

i think that applies to the state individually, I got off a ticket in Vermont once like that, i dont think it applies in NY though

is that true?

They no longer have to show. They submit the info electronically.

would it be better if i just pled guilty so i dont have to deal with the courts and stuff
ill just take the points, it goes away in 18 months anyway
any idea on how much the fine would be?

In virginia if the office gives you reckless driving which is exceeding the speed limit by 20mph- You have to go to court.

fines differ from state to state... In VA a reckless driving ticket is $1,450 up to $3,000 depending on your record. Other states it is only like 150-250bucks.

Back
Top Bottom