So is 4g just a marketing scheme?

Originally Posted by TraSoul82

From what I understand there really is no 4G in America, hence the LTE (lite) distinction. It's more of a 3G+. So in that sense it's a marketing scheme. But in this day and age, you can always wait and get something better.

LTE = Long Term Evolution not "lite"

From what I've been getting in NYC LTE is very fast, especially when connected with a laptop. It blows 3g away

From what I understand there really is no 4G in America, hence the LTE (lite) distinction. It's more of a 3G+. So in that sense it's a marketing scheme. But in this day and age, you can always wait and get something better.

LTE = Long Term Evolution not "lite"

From what I've been getting in NYC LTE is very fast, especially when connected with a laptop. It blows 3g away

What T-Mobile commercializes as 4G (HSPA+) is actually 3.5G. Legit 4G is only available on Verizon and Sprint in select areas at the moment. And AT&T has had HSPA+ for a while. The 3GS iPhone was one the first phone to have it.

What T-Mobile commercializes as 4G (HSPA+) is actually 3.5G. Legit 4G is only available on Verizon and Sprint in select areas at the moment. And AT&T has had HSPA+ for a while. The 3GS iPhone was one the first phone to have it.

Like everyone said, it just depends.

We have 4G in saint louis, but the signal doesnt penetrate walls very well at all, so i dont use it very much.

when i DO use it, it doesnt seem much faster than 3G and keeps turning off and on depending on where im driving.

One misconception is that 4G on all networks are the same............its just the 4th generation of that carriers network, it doesnt have anything to do with a certain speed. (although it has to be over a certain speed to be considered 4G by the FCC (i think) )

Like everyone said, it just depends.

We have 4G in saint louis, but the signal doesnt penetrate walls very well at all, so i dont use it very much.

when i DO use it, it doesnt seem much faster than 3G and keeps turning off and on depending on where im driving.

One misconception is that 4G on all networks are the same............its just the 4th generation of that carriers network, it doesnt have anything to do with a certain speed. (although it has to be over a certain speed to be considered 4G by the FCC (i think) )

This.

It's not even 3.5G. It's more like 3.1G. Real 4G standards are a bit farther away as far as the US is concerned.

This.

It's not even 3.5G. It's more like 3.1G. Real 4G standards are a bit farther away as far as the US is concerned.

Surprising. Seems to be 50/50 split for either side, rendering my initial assumption true I guess......it varies.

Surprising. Seems to be 50/50 split for either side, rendering my initial assumption true I guess......it varies.

The real 4g standards are OD, 100Mbps ? It'll be cool but thats easier said than done. As long as your phone can reach 5Mbps consistently no one will really be complaining.

4g is really a marketing term. 3G's technology isn't bad at all. AT&T 3g was more outdated than T mobile's at one point. T mobile was pretty late with 3g coming out in 2008.

Both T Mobile and AT&T were using HSPDA for 3g, but now the antennas in the phones that are shipping are taking advantage of HSPA+.

Really I dont care for speed that much. 3g is good enough for me for at least a good 2 more years. I'd rather just take a sprint android phone and mod it to work on boost cdma network with the unlimited everything plan for $50, every 6 month it will be 5 bucks cheaper until its $35 a month.

The real 4g standards are OD, 100Mbps ? It'll be cool but thats easier said than done. As long as your phone can reach 5Mbps consistently no one will really be complaining.

4g is really a marketing term. 3G's technology isn't bad at all. AT&T 3g was more outdated than T mobile's at one point. T mobile was pretty late with 3g coming out in 2008.

Both T Mobile and AT&T were using HSPDA for 3g, but now the antennas in the phones that are shipping are taking advantage of HSPA+.

Really I dont care for speed that much. 3g is good enough for me for at least a good 2 more years. I'd rather just take a sprint android phone and mod it to work on boost cdma network with the unlimited everything plan for $50, every 6 month it will be 5 bucks cheaper until its $35 a month.

Back
Top Bottom