So is graduating with a low GPA the end of your life?

FROM MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE:

I graduated with an okay GPA.  I attained an A average in both my major and minor, but was brought down heavily by gen-ed's and other useless requirement classes that I had no interest in. I mean useless like a history of south america class I had to take to fulfill some sort of requirement.

I graduated in 08 and 100% of the companies I applied for and interviewed with during my job process did not care, nor ask about a GPA. Now, I'm talking my area of work (marketing, PR, communications, promotions, etc), so I'm not sure about the etiquette of other job areas. For reference, jobs I interviewed/applied/got offers from included NBC, Sony BMG, MTV Networks, and other major media companies in NYC & Santa Monica.

Looking back, GPA/Grades meant absolutely zero from an interviewing stand point (again, for me, personally in my area of study back in 2008). It was 100% past experience, my personality and the simple fact that I graduated from a good school that got me where I needed to be.

**Looking back on some of the replies, I also have to agree that the cliche statement 'It's who you know...' stands true. That didn't apply to me, but I've witnessed a lot of undeserving people undermine the system in both the music and TV industries because of who they knew at the time. Doesn't mean they'll be able to keep up/do the work, but getting your foot in the door is the hardest part nowadays.

nawlinsjunkie wrote:

Right now I'm BARELY pulling a 3.0. I know it's not all bad but this quarter I'm taking the hardest econ courses available in the major (they're required) and I might get 2 more Cs as well...professor only gives out 5% As and 15% B's
frown.gif

I hate that. At Berkeley, you have to be damn near the top in each class to get an A too.

nawlinsjunkie wrote:

Right now I'm BARELY pulling a 3.0. I know it's not all bad but this quarter I'm taking the hardest econ courses available in the major (they're required) and I might get 2 more Cs as well...professor only gives out 5% As and 15% B's
frown.gif

I hate that. At Berkeley, you have to be damn near the top in each class to get an A too.

About to be applying to grad schools now, i'm applying in a different field, though.

And the process doesn't actually ask for a transcript, just a bachelors degree.

About to be applying to grad schools now, i'm applying in a different field, though.

And the process doesn't actually ask for a transcript, just a bachelors degree.

GPA is merely a screener.

If you can get the job interview, you should be fine.

A lot of F500 companies use a GPA screener though so you'll just have to set your expectations lower.

GPA is merely a screener.

If you can get the job interview, you should be fine.

A lot of F500 companies use a GPA screener though so you'll just have to set your expectations lower.

Originally Posted by JD161616

I graduated with an okay GPA.  I attained an A average in both my major and minor, but was brought down heavily by gen-ed's and other useless requirement classes that I had no interest in. I mean useless like a history of south america class I had to take to fulfill some sort of requirement.

I graduated in 08 and 100% of the companies I applied for and interviewed with during my job process did not care, nor ask about a GPA. Now, I'm talking my area of work (marketing, PR, communications, promotions, etc), so I'm not sure about the etiquette of other job areas. For reference, jobs I interviewed/applied/got offers from included NBC, Sony BMG, MTV Networks, and other major media companies in NYC & Santa Monica.

Looking back, GPA/Grades meant absolutely zero from an interviewing stand point (again, for me, personally in my area of study back in 2008). It was 100% past experience, my personality and the simple fact that I graduated from a good school that got me where I needed to be.

**Looking back on some of the replies, I also have to agree that the cliche statement 'It's who you know...' stands true. That didn't apply to me, but I've witnessed a lot of undeserving people undermine the system in both the music and TV industries because of who they knew at the time. Doesn't mean they'll be able to keep up/do the work, but getting your foot in the door is the hardest part nowadays.
laugh.gif
We know some of the same exact people as well.

Originally Posted by JD161616

laugh.gif
We know some of the same exact people as well.

Nah, it's not the end of your life. Make the best of it and move on.

However, if you still have time to change it, then act like it's the end of your life. Whatever happens, just put all your effort in so you can at least see where you are a couple years from now

Nah, it's not the end of your life. Make the best of it and move on.

However, if you still have time to change it, then act like it's the end of your life. Whatever happens, just put all your effort in so you can at least see where you are a couple years from now

Originally Posted by UPPTEMPO8387

I was told that GPA will only influence your very first job..If you can find a way to slip into the field of your choice, then after that initial job, GPA is almost never mentioned...If you're working at your first job for 3-4 years, do you think when you're interviewing for a new job they'll be asking you about the employer where you spent the past few years or why you didn't study so hard for that Ethics class in college?

this is true. it's only and issue when interviewing for your first job out of college. jobs after that, it will never be mentioned again.

Originally Posted by UPPTEMPO8387

I was told that GPA will only influence your very first job..If you can find a way to slip into the field of your choice, then after that initial job, GPA is almost never mentioned...If you're working at your first job for 3-4 years, do you think when you're interviewing for a new job they'll be asking you about the employer where you spent the past few years or why you didn't study so hard for that Ethics class in college?

this is true. it's only and issue when interviewing for your first job out of college. jobs after that, it will never be mentioned again.

Back
Top Bottom