So Where Does The Chappelle Show Rank On Sketch-Based Comedy Shows?

Originally Posted by abeautifulhaze

Originally Posted by the north west

living color but all the kids are prob gon say chappelle
Its #1.

I grew up on ILC but it can't touch the way that Dave masterfully addressed social, political and current events through wildly original and insanely funny comedy. ILC was more cutting edge slapstick sketches with a lot of shock value thrown in.

Chappelle show is really unparalleled.

Nothing is funnier the the pixie sketch about fried chicken on the plane, I almost went to hospital from laughter.....
laugh.gif

2795920.jpg

Originally Posted by CROSSISOM

Originally Posted by toast1985

I vaguely remember ILC, but I remember it made me laugh a lot as a child.

...With that said, Chappelle Show was nothing less than genius. I've never seen a skit sweep through the nation how the 'Rick James' skit, I remember watching it my freshmen year of college, and like the following month all I heard was "I'm Rick James...". And personally, the Rick James skit wasn't even top 5 for me.
Basically. I mean, that's a staple in American culture right there, and it wasn't even the best skit. There was so many great things about this show, so many great skits, you would be hard pressed to find a favorite scene.

I've watched re-runs of In Living Color, and it was a landmark of a show. However... the comedy on Chappelle's Show was never forced.

Good point right there. Everything on In Living Color and SNL seemed so forced to me. But you can honestly tell that Chappelle's Show took a lot morethought and he kept it way more on the edge since it was on cable television. Can't no one in here name one skit from SNL or In Living Color that swept thenation like The Rick James skit on Chapelle's Show. I personally
roll.gif
atevery skit with Frenchie on In Living Color but nothing else stands the test of time to me. The only skits I ever liked from SNL were the Kanye West awardsskit, the Lebron dancing skit, and the Sarah Palin and Joe Biden debate. I'm just waiting for someone to bring up Adam Sandler or Will Ferrel on SNL butreal talk, they are no where near Dave Chappelle's level.

Black Bush was
pimp.gif
, I need a GIF of Mos Def with that yellow cakeASAP

Originally Posted by ittakesalittlebitmore

Nothing is funnier the the pixie sketch about fried chicken on the plane, I almost went to hospital from laughter.....
laugh.gif

2795920.jpg

Yeah that skit had me dying too, unfortunately that's the one that made him quit the show.
mad.gif

yall are forgetting about mad tv and lyricist's lounge show. both great shows imo... though mad tv started to get whack in its later years.

Originally Posted by ExtRaOrDinaRy SwAg

Originally Posted by ittakesalittlebitmore

laugh.gif

2795920.jpg

Yeah that skit had me dying too, unfortunately that's the one that made him quit the show.
mad.gif
I know
mad.gif
. But to echo everyone else. Chappelle's showjust touched on so much socially and economically that it exuded genius. Not to discredit ILC cause that paved the way, Chappelle's show gave you all thejokes in such a satirical way that after you finished laughing your like
tired.gif
"That @!!* IS true tho" PLus, having rap acts like De La Soul, Common,Blackstar, Ye', Freeway, Busta, Snoop all throughtout the seasons was a plus. The second season is CLASSIC. If you went to school that next day (Thurs. Ithink) and you missed it you felt SOO outta place cause everyone (White, Black, Yellow, Purple, Red) watched it the night before.

smokin.gif
smokin.gif

Back
Top Bottom