roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

roll.gif
@ the two men, one shirt pic.

I never understood sagging.

Even when i used to wear baggy jeans, I didn't sag them.

Originally Posted by vdubsta

epic-fail-baggy-pants-fail.jpg

down here in dallas dude would be fined $500.00. theres a law they passed about 2 years ago. here a article about it.
[h2]Dallas official pulls for law on saggy pants[/h2]Proposal stirs debate on freedom and potential strains on police
[h5][size=-1]12:00 AM CDT on Thursday, October 4, 2007[/size][/h5][size=-1]By DAVE LEVINTHAL / The Dallas Morning News
[email protected]
[/size]
Combating sagging pants exposing skivvies is as important to Dallas as crime reduction and the Trinity River Corridor Project,says Deputy Mayor Pro Tem Dwaine Caraway.

/bi/images/clikEnlarge.gif/sharedcontent/dws/img/v3/10-04-2007.NMC_04saggypantsNEW.G4F28EQ1F.1.jpg
JUAN GARCIA/DMN
An unidentified man walks in front of the Earle Cabell Federal Building and Courthouse in downtown Dallas.

That's why he is vowing to pass an ordinance by year's end against wearing pants in thatfashion.

City attorneys briefed the Dallas City Council in closed session Wednesday on the legalities of such an ordinance. And Mr.Caraway, who's resurrected the issue after the council last year pooh-poohed it, says he'll conduct a news conference today at City Hall to launch apublic campaign against pants that slip below waistlines.

"It's just something that's not acceptable. We'll probably seek a fine. We're not seeking jail time,"said Mr. Caraway, who quickly added that he didn't expect already overburdened Dallas Police Department officers to be constantly enforcing such anordinance.

To date, neither Mr. Caraway nor city staff has crafted a formal ordinance proposal for the council to consider. But Mr. Caraway,who represents District 4 in Dallas' southern sector, insists he has the support on the council to indeed pass some kind of pull-up-your-pantsordinance.

"This issue is just as important as crime, this issue is just as important as the Trinity, this issue is as important asrevitalizing the community and part of revitalizing the community," Mr. Caraway said. "People who think it's not - they don't have to livewith it."

What Mr. Caraway doesn't have going for him is strong precedent: While sagging-pant opponents note tiny Delcambre, La.,recently passed a law that penalizes the style with a $500 fine and even jail time, most U.S. cities have rejected similar ordinances. Some feared expensivelegal challenges on First Amendment grounds. Others considered the bans racist, worrying they'd disproportionately target younger black men.

"We need to look at the legal hurdles before we move forward - period," Mayor Pro Tem Elba Garcia said.

That would be wise, said Lisa Graybill, legal director for the American Civil Liberties Union of Texas.

"Of course, you have the issue of symbolic speech and expression. But how do you enforce this?" Ms. Graybill said."Unless Dallas has reserve officers and zero crime, I've got to imagine they have more important things for police to deal with."

Indeed, Dallas police have struggled to enforce other recently passed public nuisance laws against panhandling and smoking inrestaurants.

Perhaps as a result, some Dallas council members have expressed ambivalence about the sagging issue, saying the city may havemore pressing matters with which to contend.

No one from the Police Department could be reached for comment on the issue Wednesday.

"We need to have more community discussion. I want to hear from the parents," District 6 council member Steve Salazarsaid. "If they feel it's a priority, I can probably live with it."

Officials are likely to find parents on both sides of the issue.

Karla Byrd, a mother of two from Lancaster, said she'd support such an ordinance, especially now that most schools have apolice presence.

"So it's not taking anybody [police] off the street," she said.

Precious Johnson - who tends to pull her toddler's shorts down low because it's "boyish" - said she'doppose such a ban.

"I don't want to tell people what to do with their lives," she said.

For Michael Davis, Mr. Caraway's appointee to Dallas' City Plan and Zoning Commission, the council must keep an openmind, because sagging pants may very well hinder one of the body's chief priorities: economic development.

"Let's say an executive has agreed to consider southern Dallas to consider sites for supermarkets, well-known nationalstores, etc. The first thing any retail business executive is going to want to do is tour the area," Mr. Davis said. "If you pick him or her up fromthe airport, get off the highway and see people showing their underwear and various body parts, you are likely to get 'no' for an answer and watch yourbusiness opportunities go down the drain."

Fadi Fakhouri, who opened Pizza Caliente four months ago in Old East Dallas, said he would support Mr. Caraway's ordinance.But he's not sure what it would solve.

"It's not going to prevent this area of having a repulsive image," he said. "It's actually a little morethan wearing the pants down."

Staff writer Blanca Cantú contributed to this report.

Back
Top Bottom