Some of these NFL dudes are gonna have a hard time making ends meet because of the lockout...

Originally Posted by bjm5295

if i was an athlete, i'd never let someone handle my money, other than an agent if it was like drew rosenhaus. no way all these 'financial advisers' that most players have would have their fingers on my !@$*.

I mean someone explain to me how hard is it to GET a check, direct deposit it, and let it sit in a damn bank. I am not paying for an agent and/financial adviser. I will do it like Gilbert did it.

Js, I touched on this in the Gil Arenas thread. Materialism in American culture is rampant and given the recent economic downturn it seems Americans as whole are having trouble adjusting spending habits. I'm not worried about the actual monetary value for the new iPad 2 or BMW, it's more about learning to practice financial restraint and spending within your budget. It's a very layered issue but it starts with the corporations and media advertisements making adults and young children alike feel they constantly need to replenish their "outdated" material possessions. People truly do feel bad or left out without the newest items on the market. Another aspect is human greed and ego. What I mean by this is competition between neighbors to have the nicest house, car, etc. Greed meant in the sense that we've never satisfied and always want more in terms of material possessions. Once you dig a hole financially, it's quite difficult to re-establish credit and practice sound spending habits. Something as simple as balancing a budget has proven to be a monumental task for Americans. I just worry what athletes and others with short-term success and money will do after the good times run out. Often times resorting to crime or illegal activity to maintain the wealthy lifestyle. Bottom line, you have to leverage the future in all decisions. 
In terms of athletes I would like to see some financial education workshops established but I do wonder how many players would actually attend. As of now it seems the players smartest with their money are surrounded by solid management, family members, and role models. I think Tony Dungy would be a good man to raise awareness for the NFL in terms of long-term financial planning, especially after his success with Michael Vick's rehabilitation. 

Js, I touched on this in the Gil Arenas thread. Materialism in American culture is rampant and given the recent economic downturn it seems Americans as whole are having trouble adjusting spending habits. I'm not worried about the actual monetary value for the new iPad 2 or BMW, it's more about learning to practice financial restraint and spending within your budget. It's a very layered issue but it starts with the corporations and media advertisements making adults and young children alike feel they constantly need to replenish their "outdated" material possessions. People truly do feel bad or left out without the newest items on the market. Another aspect is human greed and ego. What I mean by this is competition between neighbors to have the nicest house, car, etc. Greed meant in the sense that we've never satisfied and always want more in terms of material possessions. Once you dig a hole financially, it's quite difficult to re-establish credit and practice sound spending habits. Something as simple as balancing a budget has proven to be a monumental task for Americans. I just worry what athletes and others with short-term success and money will do after the good times run out. Often times resorting to crime or illegal activity to maintain the wealthy lifestyle. Bottom line, you have to leverage the future in all decisions. 
In terms of athletes I would like to see some financial education workshops established but I do wonder how many players would actually attend. As of now it seems the players smartest with their money are surrounded by solid management, family members, and role models. I think Tony Dungy would be a good man to raise awareness for the NFL in terms of long-term financial planning, especially after his success with Michael Vick's rehabilitation. 

Originally Posted by ChampCruThik

co-sign. 

I don't know if it was you or someone else (in the Gil thread, I believe) that said "just because you make 5 million a year, doesn't mean you have to spend 4.5 of it"  It was something along those lines...but it's the point of living beyond your means without having a grasp on reality in the sense that there is a life to live after sports are done and over with. 

Originally Posted by ChampCruThik

co-sign. 

I don't know if it was you or someone else (in the Gil thread, I believe) that said "just because you make 5 million a year, doesn't mean you have to spend 4.5 of it"  It was something along those lines...but it's the point of living beyond your means without having a grasp on reality in the sense that there is a life to live after sports are done and over with. 

Ya all gotta remember some of these athletes are not very smart. They barely made it to college and obviously a good majority do not even get their degrees so what do you expect?

Ya all gotta remember some of these athletes are not very smart. They barely made it to college and obviously a good majority do not even get their degrees so what do you expect?

I'm sure these guys have access to wealth/money managers. It probably isn't mandatory but it should be. I'm almost certain they all go through some sort of initial meet and greet, but I don't think all the players take advantage of that, obviously.

I'm sure these guys have access to wealth/money managers. It probably isn't mandatory but it should be. I'm almost certain they all go through some sort of initial meet and greet, but I don't think all the players take advantage of that, obviously.

Originally Posted by SunDOOBIE

You don't need college or a +$+#@++ degree to understand the value of a dollar.  What, you think everyone who graduated college suddenly understands what it means to balance your money and save for a rainy day? 

That's common sense, fam.  C'mon.

You don't need college or a +$+#@++ degree to understand the value of a dollar.  What, you think everyone who graduated college suddenly understands what it means to balance your money and save for a rainy day? 

That's common sense, fam.  C'mon.

don't need a degree to have common sense tho...all of this is so damn obvious

and it applies to actors and musicians and all types of high paid individuals that go broke.

don't need a degree to have common sense tho...all of this is so damn obvious

and it applies to actors and musicians and all types of high paid individuals that go broke.

I think once people admit the real reasons why they buy so many trivial items, I think they can finally cure their evil spending habits. The thing is, I don't think people KNOW that they spend in a competitive manner. They know they want to stunt, but I don't think many of these dudes even know that they spend to keep up with others.

Even when you throw the idea out there, they usually deny it and claim that they, "Like nice things." Well my thing is, you don't determine what nice is. The world does. If you don't get feedback from others that what you have is legit, then you will eventually go to what will get you the love you want.

On a smaller scale, I compare it to the shoe game. Buying shoes is nothing more than to impress other men and compete with each other to see who has the deepest and most versatile collection. But folks on NT would never admit it, they will just say, I like shoes. Well you only like shoes because others give you love for it. Collections are for bragging rights, not for self fulfillment.

I don't see how anyone in here can honestly say dude is wrong for not giving out loans to his teammates. Why should he do that?

I think once people admit the real reasons why they buy so many trivial items, I think they can finally cure their evil spending habits. The thing is, I don't think people KNOW that they spend in a competitive manner. They know they want to stunt, but I don't think many of these dudes even know that they spend to keep up with others.

Even when you throw the idea out there, they usually deny it and claim that they, "Like nice things." Well my thing is, you don't determine what nice is. The world does. If you don't get feedback from others that what you have is legit, then you will eventually go to what will get you the love you want.

On a smaller scale, I compare it to the shoe game. Buying shoes is nothing more than to impress other men and compete with each other to see who has the deepest and most versatile collection. But folks on NT would never admit it, they will just say, I like shoes. Well you only like shoes because others give you love for it. Collections are for bragging rights, not for self fulfillment.

I don't see how anyone in here can honestly say dude is wrong for not giving out loans to his teammates. Why should he do that?

Good read on how some dudes are cutting back....
PROFESSIONAL athletes have a horrible reputation for managing their money. It may be apocryphal, but one commonly cited statistic is that three-quarters of players in the National Football League have serious financial problems within two years of leaving the game.
But the reality is that most professional players do not get huge paychecks. Even among those who do, the savviest ones are not buying Bentleys and mansions for their families. They are renting apartments and driving modest cars, looking at the long term instead of the immediate. And given the uncertainty surrounding the 2011 season as labor talks continue, this is true now more than ever.

That is the case with Paul Posluszny, a linebacker who four years ago was a second-round draft pick in the National Football League and signed a four-year contract for $4.75 million with the Buffalo Bills. Of that, about $2.5 million was guaranteed; the rest was in performance incentives.

Still, with a $1 million signing bonus and a first-year salary of $285,000, it is fair to say that he was doing better than most of his classmates at Pennsylvania State who were entering the job market.

Yet Mr. Posluszny, the son of a teacher and a mechanic, said he was well aware of the financial problems that a rush of wealth had caused many professional athletes. And he did not want to be among them.

“I knew I wanted to be in something safe and secure,

Good read on how some dudes are cutting back....
PROFESSIONAL athletes have a horrible reputation for managing their money. It may be apocryphal, but one commonly cited statistic is that three-quarters of players in the National Football League have serious financial problems within two years of leaving the game.
But the reality is that most professional players do not get huge paychecks. Even among those who do, the savviest ones are not buying Bentleys and mansions for their families. They are renting apartments and driving modest cars, looking at the long term instead of the immediate. And given the uncertainty surrounding the 2011 season as labor talks continue, this is true now more than ever.

That is the case with Paul Posluszny, a linebacker who four years ago was a second-round draft pick in the National Football League and signed a four-year contract for $4.75 million with the Buffalo Bills. Of that, about $2.5 million was guaranteed; the rest was in performance incentives.

Still, with a $1 million signing bonus and a first-year salary of $285,000, it is fair to say that he was doing better than most of his classmates at Pennsylvania State who were entering the job market.

Yet Mr. Posluszny, the son of a teacher and a mechanic, said he was well aware of the financial problems that a rush of wealth had caused many professional athletes. And he did not want to be among them.

“I knew I wanted to be in something safe and secure,

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Thats true to certain extent...but the answer is Maturity i wanna say. Though some people will say maturity is objective I still feel like its a certain level u should reach and those things should no longer matter. Maybe the culture or environment of most who fit the profile matures or evolves as a whole unit and things like that will be less seen and lack importance 

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Thats true to certain extent...but the answer is Maturity i wanna say. Though some people will say maturity is objective I still feel like its a certain level u should reach and those things should no longer matter. Maybe the culture or environment of most who fit the profile matures or evolves as a whole unit and things like that will be less seen and lack importance 

Back
Top Bottom