Songs without Chorus/Hooks?

Originally Posted by thagreatj

sounds like a great class...i would love to take a class like that.
Least from the first day seemed real cool. The prof is this producer in Chicago Mike Hero (I've never heard of him but he seems real chill) andquite a few hip-hop heads in the class so should be real cool.

The people who know absolutely nothing about hip-hop or just have real basic/limited understanding to like super commercial %@%* kinda crush it. For instancethe prof was playing "I just wanna love u" by Jay and Pharrell as an example of how Hip-Hop bites/uses like 70's Curtis Mayfieldesque swag withhow Pharrell sings the hook and I was like thats ironic you say that cause Jay was bitting Biggie on that too and the prof was unaware or had forgotten andthis other dude that I know thats a real hip-hop head was yeah its from "The World Is Filled" on "Life after death" and then after me andthis other dude and the prof finished discussing what verses were bitting etc.. this other random kid chimes in "Yeah, I heard Jay bit a lot offBiggie" the other dude just like stone faced dude, gave him the "No %@%*" look like what the !+$% have we just been talking about for the last 5minutes... but what are you going to do...

Also like Psychodrama is coming to our class at some point and like some DJ (i forgot who) so, it seems generally like should be a real enjoyable class...

Originally Posted by I Wear Sneakers

SunNY - Soul of a Hustler

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Ns dont know about SunNY another dope NY Mc n this song is dope
Imma have to pick Big L - 8 iz Enuff

smokin.gif

Cassidy, Fab, Weezy- 6 minutes of death
smokin.gif

Cam'ron & dipset- im ready (not really a corus, more like a...)

Cam- get em daddy (remix)
smokin.gif
smokin.gif

Joe Budden- 6 minutes of death (off of mm2)

those are the ones i can think of off the top of my head...i know there are PLENTY more out there

Originally Posted by Skip2MyLou23

Can you give us more info on the class?
What exactly would you like to know?

Just from the first day and the syllabus its a reasonably in-depth look at hip-hop's history and origins both pre-hip-hop in various other genres thathip-hop is build on both in the formal musical sense and in the historical and contextual sense. As well as how hip-hop has developed in various regions. Andas I go to school in Chicago and the guy who teaches the class is a producer in Chicago a few weeks will be spent on the various areas of Chicago hip-hop (partof the reason Psychodrama is coming, to sort of drop knowledge on the history of Chicago hip-hop from his point of view). As far as the format of the class itsdefinitely on collegiate level with the professor lecturing and providing examples via anything from just actual music to various production tools as means ofdemonstrating ideas/concepts of the production/construction of hip-hop music rather than say a technical demonstration. But the prof is super chill so whileit's a lecture it at times becomes sort of group conversation among those in the know (which vary in degree of knowledge etc...). As far as readings forthe class from what I understand it's mostly a packet of various articles relevant to the subject of the day and a book on Chicago gangs (as thats highlyrelevant to the development of Chicago Hip-Hop/rap) called "Explosion of Chicago's Black Street Gangs" by Useni Eugene Perkins and alsoVibe's History of Hip-Hop thats mostly used to give those people who aren't really up on Hip-Hop a foundation to work with so they're notcompletely lost during the professors lectures...

Back
Top Bottom