Sonics' Defense on Michael Jordan (1996 NBA Finals)

watched this series back in the day but looking back at it now... WOW!
payton was a beast on D!�
eek.gif
no wonder this was MJ's lowest average in a finals series (27 pts). that sonics team was underrated.

look at that defense george karl was serious bout stopping him. i'm not sure todays superstars can take this kind of pressure in a playoff or a finals series.�
laugh.gif

90's knicks and 80's pistons were more physical though IMO.

That was the best team that he faced in all the finals appearances he's made... It's obvious this would be his lowest scoring finals series. 

92 blazers > 91 lakers > 96 sonics

those teams he played in the eastern conference playoffs were beast though (knicks, pistons, pacers, heat, orlando)

Originally Posted by mikedamz

92 blazers > 91 lakers > 96 sonics

those teams he played in the eastern conference playoffs were beast though (knicks, pistons, pacers, heat, orlando)

Not with Cluck %!% Terry Porter. Nope no way
I might take that 91 lakers team but the Sonics matched up better.

If George Karl was serious about stopping His Airness, he would have given GP full defensive duties from the very start. That clown waited until the Bulls had control of the series to match them up.

I'm a Bullets fan, but I too loved those Sonics' squads. People forget, but word leading up to that finals series was that the Glove and Reign Man had overtaken Stock and Malone. All downhill from there...

because of the no touch rule players today prefers to flop rather than stand their ground on D. 

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

If George Karl was serious about stopping His Airness, he would have given GP full defensive duties from the very start. That clown waited until the Bulls had control of the series to match them up.

I'm a Bullets fan, but I too loved those Sonics' squads. People forget, but word leading up to that finals series was that the Glove and Reign Man had overtaken Stock and Malone. All downhill from there...
Kemp broke my heart when he requested a trade.... Mcilvaine!!

Thanks so much for posting OP.

I remember the series but I just wasn't old enough to comprehend the game at that age.

Them boys were getting after it.
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

@ 33 MJ was quick and explosive on his pull ups and fade aways. the way he established himself in the post is just amazing to watch, strong mofo.

I love how clowns just like to say how "complex" defense are today as if MJ would not do the same damn thing today
laugh.gif

League is catered to the offensive player today, he would've LIVED t the free throw line.
MJ was completely dominant in the post with his back to the basket, too crafty and athletic.

Originally Posted by HankMoody

YouTube is the greatest thing to ever happen for MJ fans since ,well, MJ.
It's an excellent site to see how the best players get down. They have a TON of 01-present Kobe games, CP3 pre injury-present games, Jordan playoff games, steve nash D'antoni suns games, J kidd playoff games etc.

I spend hours sometimes just watching. It's great

Wingate tried to take MJ's head off
laugh.gif
They were going at it

"The game's the same, just got more less fierce"

@ 33 MJ was quick and explosive on his pull ups and fade aways. the way he established himself in the post is just amazing to watch, strong mofo.

Yup. The very first thought I had when watching this was how quick and explosive Jordan looks here @ 33 compared to Kobe now. It's a much bigger difference than I thought. 
This was a dope vid. Playing like that nowadays will have you fouled out of the game in about 5 minutes. MJ did such a good job of using body fakes and timing/anticipation of where and when the defense would collapse to beat his defender(s). Dude was just remarkably savvy 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by 5am6oody72

Yup. The very first thought I had when watching this was how quick and explosive Jordan looks here @ 33 compared to Kobe now. It's a much bigger difference than I thought. 
This was a dope vid. Playing like that nowadays will have you fouled out of the game in about 5 minutes. MJ did such a good job of using body fakes and timing/anticipation of where and when the defense would collapse to beat his defender(s). Dude was just remarkably savvy 
pimp.gif
Kobe has many more miles on his legs at this age than MJ did.

Kobe may have more miles on his legs at age 33 then Jordan but Kobe never had the extreme physical hang time Jordan had. Jordan was def quicker than Kobe too. Jordan was out of this world. That defense btw was amazing. The league has completely sold themselves out.

Back
Top Bottom