Sonics' Defense on Michael Jordan (1996 NBA Finals)

Originally Posted by mgrand15

Not turning this into a Kobe thread but I hate how everyone is going to compare old defense versus the defense now.

Look at how the Celtics guarded Kobe in the 08 Finals. Constant doubles, physical defense, zone defense, help defense any time he made a move. Teams still play defense now. Just because you're not allowed to mug players on the perimeter - it doesn't mean it's easier to score.

Major part of the game right there, plus no hand checking. You can't even touch a PG once his head is down and driving to the hoop unless its an absolute obvious charge

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

Not turning this into a Kobe thread but I hate how everyone is going to compare old defense versus the defense now.

Look at how the Celtics guarded Kobe in the 08 Finals. Constant doubles, physical defense, zone defense, help defense any time he made a move. Teams still play defense now. Just because you're not allowed to mug players on the perimeter - it doesn't mean it's easier to score.

Major part of the game right there, plus no hand checking. You can't even touch a PG once his head is down and driving to the hoop unless its an absolute obvious charge

That defense wasn't physical? I know the dude in the video was whiny but c'mon now. 

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

To even compare that to what we just watched in that Bulls/Sonics series is a travesty.

The defender can't even root out the poster let alone body him up like they were doing. Notice I didn't even speak on hand checking.

This is a joke.
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

I'm as big a Kobe fan as there is out there, but to anyone who thinks Kobe is better, clearly didn't see MJ in his prime.

Look how poor the defender footwork was though. Mediocre athlete defending Jordan .

GP 6'4 . MJ 6'6

Hershey 6'3 . Harper 6'5

Still MJ is a beast

It's just Kobe is the closest to Mike, and even by being close to Mike he's still miles apart from dude...if that makes any sense.
laugh.gif

Lol, either some of yall are trolling or just basing your opinions off old youtube clips and SportsCenter highlights and never seen MJ play or a play-off series in the 90's
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by gllahone84

It's just Kobe is the closest to Mike, and even by being close to Mike he's still miles apart from dude...if that makes any sense.
laugh.gif
This. Kobe is the poor man's Jordan. That's still one helluva compliment, a poor man's MJ. Michael even admits Kobe is the closest one but MJ is definitely light years and solar systems ahead of Kobe.

By closest one you mean Like closest 2 guard, or closest in terms of overall greatness?

I'm hoping the former, because the latter involves a level of insanity that I don't even want to address...

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

By closest one you mean Like closest 2 guard, or closest in terms of overall greatness?

I'm hoping the former, because the latter involves a level of insanity that I don't even want to address...

laugh.gif

The closest player to Jordan. 

Originally Posted by ACBboyz84

Look how poor the defender footwork was though. Mediocre athlete defending Jordan .

GP 6'4 . MJ 6'6

Hershey 6'3 . Harper 6'5

Still MJ is a beast

GP is a better defender than Kobe has ever faced outside of a prime Artest.

He's never faced team defenses as good and merciless as those Jordan faced.

Remember when Raja Bell close lined him?  What did he do... He took jump shots the rest of the game.  People were snatching Money out of the air his entire career and he still turned around and went to the basket the very next play.

People acting like Jordan didn't get protected with calls that all superstars get? Nostalgia gets the best of yall sometimes...

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

People acting like Jordan didn't get protected with calls that all superstars get? Nostalgia gets the best of yall sometimes...

not to a point where they have to change the rules of the league. it certainly didn't stop teams from doing the "jordan rules" though.

Originally Posted by westcoastsfinest

The closest player to Jordan. 
Like, seriously?

I don't even know what to say....
tired.gif

Originally Posted by ACBboyz84

GP 6'4 . MJ 6'6

Hershey 6'3 . Harper 6'5

Still MJ is a beast
First you say Jordan weighed 240.

Now you're calling GP a mediocre athlete.

Stop posting man
laugh.gif

man I appreciate MJ's game to the fullest...but forget him! why he had to win all the time?
laugh.gif
yes I'm salty
but dudes nowadays getting those superstar calls don't deserve them at all...let kobe, lebron, wade, durant etc feel what a real hard foul feels like on a consistent basis like MJ did with the pistons and knicks back then...that relentless D is what the NBA needs in this era of drama queens
oh and cp3 with his flopping in that era would never even think about venturing into the paint...son would get bodied up something nasty

Out of everything in that video; I'm most impressed with the mental toughness of MJ. He was getting bullied, pushed, elbowed, purposely targeted, and he still kept his cool and just played harder and harder...watch him fight for rebounds and for post positioning....awesome.

Originally Posted by MHT214

Out of everything in that video; I'm most impressed with the mental toughness of MJ. He was getting bullied, pushed, elbowed, purposely targeted, and he still kept his cool and just played harder and harder...watch him fight for rebounds and for post positioning....awesome.
No matter how physical or how tough the team was, he always stayed above that level of intensity
sick.gif

Back
Top Bottom