SoundScan Sales 3/19/2008: Rick Ross Debuts #1...Oh Yeah STOP Posting Fake SoundScans.. Yeah You!!

1 ROSS*RICK TRILLA 198,375 999 570 198,956
pimp.gif
he beat out them damn NOWcompilations
pimp.gif
but its crazy when <200k is number 1
smh.gif

i did my part...had the joint a couple days in advance legally for free....but hit bestbuy and copped on tuesday

This week's numbers present an interesting question.....

I see these numbers get posted on here with no real insight on them other than very basic commentary.

So how does Rick Ross, a predominantly HOOD artist, who's never had a HUGE mainstream record, who's 2 singles haven't done any real damage, outsella household name who's had the hottest record of the last 6 months and is all over television.

If you want to make sense of these numbers, those are the questions to ask.

How much was the Ross album vs. Snoop? Was Ross 8.99 and Snoop 12.99?

Who got proper retail positioning? Was the Ross album in your face when you walked in the store? Was Snoop not?

Did Def Jam buy a ton of units from the small independent stores who's units inflate Soundscans (you will need someone who does Sales at a label to explainthat one to you. I can't claim to know about this inside and out)? To fatten up the numbers

I mean seriously, am I the only one shocked by these numbers?

Is Snoop a high IQ rapper or something? What does that have to do with my questions?

Do "Hip Hop Fans" even BUY albums?

I thought we all knew who BOUGHT albums. Soulja Boy ain't selling because of the hood. He was all over Pop radio. Which Snoop is, and Ross is not.

Not sure what your point is either. Perhaps we'll agree to disagree then.

well I take back my statement sort of because I think you've mentioned before some times to a label?
Just gets annoying when people with no economic interest are pullin out sales and going back and forth, getting introspective about marketing plans

also, I've lost all hope in the "hip hop fan", if someone asks me on the street, I'd prolly say I only listen to techno lol

Originally Posted by illphillip

I see these numbers get posted on here with no real insight on them other than very basic commentary.

So how does Rick Ross, a predominantly HOOD artist, who's never had a HUGE mainstream record, who's 2 singles haven't done any real damage, outsell a household name who's had the hottest record of the last 6 months and is all over television.

Who got proper retail positioning? Was the Ross album in your face when you walked in the store? Was Snoop not?

Did Def Jam buy a ton of units from the small independent stores who's units inflate Soundscans (you will need someone who does Sales at a label to explain that one to you. I can't claim to know about this inside and out)? To fatten up the numbers

First of Ross never had a huge mainstream record??? Hustlin was practically the biggest song in 2006 and lets not forget Ross sold approx 870K on his debutalbum... thats actually more than what Snoop's last album sold [700K]. Now add in the factors... Rick Ross was on major records like Make It Rain remix, Imso Hood & We Takin Over thats enough constant exposure to keep his name in the streets and in the more mainstream crowd, he currently has a single withT-Pain thats slowly gaining on the charts. Rick Ross is the posterboy for the hottest region in hip-hop right now... Florida so im really not surprised by hissales the least bit... alot of people were checking for his album.
Now about Def Jam buying albums... this is how my uncle explained it to me. Def Jam shipsa small amount of albums to mom & pop stores a person from the label purchases about half of the quantity back but instead the owners may charge that 1 cd3-4-5 times.. so purchase 10 copies that amounts to 20-30-40-50 copies scanned by Nielsen. In return Def Jam might send merchandise [concert tickets, apparel]or distribute their albums at a cheaper price. Usually a way that you can tell when sales are inflated is to look at the 2nd week drop, anything above 70% isusually suspicious... thats why the whole rumor of Jay buying his own albums on Kingdome Come arose but people forget that Black Friday sales will inflate anartist's first week sales.

I personally don't think there was any foul play with Ross' sales.. btw its not only Def Jam that does this, just like payola these type of activitieshave been going on for years in the industry

You shouldn't be suprised at Ross' album sales this album is FIRE. 1 skit no fillers. If you think the album is weak then it's just not for you.Face it buddy Ross has the sound the streets need right now. Its motivational music baby.

Originally Posted by illphillip

So how does Rick Ross, a predominantly HOOD artist, who's never had a HUGE mainstream record, who's 2 singles haven't done any real damage, outsell a household name who's had the hottest record of the last 6 months and is all over television.

Did Def Jam buy a ton of units from the small independent stores who's units inflate Soundscans (you will need someone who does Sales at a label to explain that one to you. I can't claim to know about this inside and out)? To fatten up the numbers

When I picked both of them up snoop was 9.99 and ross was 8.99. There was a girp of snoop cds but not as many rick ross. As I remember I picked up thelast rick ross. But this was on a navy base so I don't know.

But I am shocked that snoop was out sold by rick. I know most people pick up snoop because its snoop. Snoop did his thing but he doesn't have that fire anymore. To be honest I haven't cracked open the rick ross but I guess I need to.

I still remember back in the day when you would laugh at the fact that artist were only reaching gold....crazy how much the game has changed.

25 VAMPIRE WEEKEND VAMPIRE WEEKEND 19,668 2 19,302 125,199

this album is nice. I aint even into rock like that but for some reason I digg this album a lot.

Snoop's numbers will def see an increase once he appears at Wrestlemania 24

there will be a whole new audience who picks up his album...bet on that

I still remember back in the day when you would laugh at the fact that artist were only reaching gold.
i remember back in the day when going gold was the best thing that could happen to you.

Originally Posted by BwooDFolkGD74

I still remember back in the day when you would laugh at the fact that artist were only reaching gold.
i remember back in the day when going gold was the best thing that could happen to you.

That's going way back. That's when rap wasn't a popular genre, and people couldn't really afford to buy albums. Intoday's world, rap is a popular genre, people are either broke or too cheap to buy an album, or they get a bootleg.

Yeah that was back in the cassette tape era when dudes still rocked out to Walkmans... early 90's. Snoop at that time was the first rapper to ever sellmore than 800K copies first week when Doggystyle dropped.

Originally Posted by CROSSISOM

That's going way back. That's when rap wasn't a popular genre, and people couldn't really afford to buy albums. In today's world, rap is a popular genre, people are either broke or too cheap to buy an album, or they get a bootleg. Or they dl it.

Word. When going gold was a good thing the culture wasnt as popular yet.
And then came the days when singles were going gold. Now rappers are lucky ifthey're album can do that.

Is it a coincidence that the first major Def Jam release in the POST Jay Z era is a success?? Or are we gonna act as if he didn't beat out IDJs whole 4thquarter of 07 (with the exception of Hova)

What'd Freeway do?? What Ghost do?? What Beanie do?? Chingy?? Playaz Circle??

Who else dropped on IDJ . . .

Captian-Save-A-Joe = NinjaHood
Captain-Save-A-Hov = BFA
Co Captain-Save-A-Hov = Duece King

^aint none of them dudes EVER gone sell cept chingy but i think his days are done too... his single was terrible

Originally Posted by Starvin Harlem

Is it a coincidence that the first major Def Jam release in the POST Jay Z era is a success?? Or are we gonna act as if he didn't beat out IDJs whole 4th quarter of 07 (with the exception of Hova)

What'd Freeway do?? What Ghost do?? What Beanie do?? Chingy?? Playaz Circle??

Who else dropped on IDJ . . .

Captian-Save-A-Joe = NinjaHood
Captain-Save-A-Hov = BFA
Co Captain-Save-A-Hov = Duece King

This coming from Captain Save-A-Curtis... hows that album doing btw.. released 6 videos & 4 singles and only went platinum ? L

Rick Ross album was gonna do well regardless if Jay was there or not... his sales clearly show he has a dedicated fanbase--his last album did 800K... Jay-zis the person who signed Rick Ross so why u tryna implicate dumb sh..
laugh.gif

SMH@blaimin' Ross' success on Hov's departure. I'm still shocked at how well he did. I'm usuallyagainst conspiracy theories but hell i'll even listen to the whole "Def Jam buys albums" argument. If Playaz Circle or any DTP artist, Freeway,or any other Def Jam artist that flopped dropped next week guess what? They'd still flop. And i'm willing to bet some of those copies were copped dueto the featuring Jay-Z on the back of the album.

Gettin his album pushed back was the best thing that could've happened. Wasn't he suppose to drop in Dec.?? He would've did 41K. Some Gorilla Zoe#s . . . Young Joc #s, Playaz Circle#s, Ghost #s, Freeway #s, and don't act like they aint all have a "HOOD" single (whatever that's supposeto mean)

What's goin happen with dudes like Uncle Murda, Tru Life, Sam Scarfo, the dudes Jay signed to beat up on Dip Set . . . You think the new IDJ pres is gonnahonestly release an album from these dudes??

Back
Top Bottom