Sources: Michael Jordan to appear on 'NBA 2K11' cover..

vg_g_mjts_576.jpg
While rumors pegged LeBron James, Derrick Rose, and even Tyreke Evans as favorites to appear on the cover of "NBA 2K11," multiple sources have told ESPN that the company has gone a completely different direction, opting to shoot for the moon in attempts to sign basketball legend Michael Jordan as their new spokesman.

If the rumors are true, it will mark the first time that a former player will appear on the front of the box for 2K. With Jordan holding majority ownership of the Charlotte Bobcats, it will also be the first time that a team owner will endorse the popular gaming franchise.

But the real question is, what value -- beyond obvious name and iconic image recognition -- would Jordan bring to the game? In the era of Kobe and King James, are gamers still yearning to "Be Like Mike"?

The designers at 2K must think so. In addition to acting as cover model for "NBA 2K11," the speculation is that Jordan will also be digitized into a playable character. This means gamers will become the virtual MJ in hopes of reliving some of his trademark moments.

There's more. I've even heard rumors that 2K has been in negotiations with several players (both teammates and opponents) from the Jordan era to appear in "2K11" to help gamers and history buffs accurately recreate the heated competition between the classic Bulls and rivals like the Celtics, Knicks and Cavaliers. But since 2K needs to ink all former players to individual contracts, it's still up in the air who the company will be able to sign in time to appear in the game.

But if this means we finally get a virtual Craig Ehlo to shoot over as we relive Jordan's famous jumper that doomed the Cavs, or maybe even a cyber Larry Bird describing MJ's game as "God disguised as Michael Jordan" after Jordan dropped 63 against the Celtics, then I'm all for it.

Hopefully more will be made clear once 2K Sports officially unveils the game to the media during the E3 video game convention in June.

http://espn.go.com/espn/thelife/vid...rdan-appear-nba-2k11-cover?readmore=fullstory

we finally get a virtual Craig Ehlo to shoot over as we relive Jordan's famous jumper that doomed the Cavs
Spoiler [+]
11hs6yp.gif

MJ is not gonna do it.....

if he does i hope he personally does all the motion capture for Kobe.

Originally Posted by Infyrno23

MJ is not gonna do it.....

if he does i hope he personally does all the motion capture for Kobe.
I got it, but that didn't make it funny..

would this be the first time a game had a retired player gone this long be on the cover?

I wonder how much money they're gonna have to pay Ehlo to be posterized in digital form? I assume it would be like the NFL games where they let you replay historic moments.
laugh.gif

I'd rather see a player recognized for his hard work to be placed on the cover.

Jordan is the GOAT, but I think people like Tyreke deserve the cover.

Originally Posted by LIVE BOY D

NBA LIVE 2001 2002 will still be the only basketball sim to feature Jordan....
fixed.

I remember copping that game the very first day it dropped. Me and my crew started up our leagues; and it was wrap from there
pimp.gif

Spoiler [+]
NBA_LIVE_2002.JPG

just another gimmick from 2K to put in the game to package it with the same recycled game play and the same garbage %@+ glitches from this years game.

not falling for it

just another gimmick from 2K to put in the game to package it with the same recycled game play and the same garbage +$@ glitches from this years game.

not falling for it

I don't know; I'm kind of indifferent about this.  I'd like to see more rising talent like Tyreke get the shine here.

Back
Top Bottom