Spacediving!!!

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- The countdown is on for skydiver Felix Baumgartner.

In just two weeks, Baumgartner will attempt to go supersonic when he jumps from a record altitude of 23 miles over New Mexico. Project managers announced Tuesday the feat will take place Oct. 8.

The Austrian parachutist jumped from 13 miles in March and 18 miles in July. This time, he hopes to break the all-time record of 19.5 miles set in 1960.

A giant helium balloon will hoist a pressurized capsule with Baumgartner inside, dressed in a pressure suit.

Baumgartner expects to reach a top speed of 690 mph and break the sound barrier with only his body, less than a half-minute after he hops from his capsule.

The same capsule was used for Baumgartner's two practice jumps but was damaged in the latest touchdown. It smashed down hard despite its parachute, and the outer shell had to be replaced with parts from a backup capsule. The entire craft was taken apart and reassembled.

The repairs and retesting pushed the final flight from August to October.

"I feel like a tiger in a cage waiting to get out," Baumgartner, 43, said in a statement.

Project officials note that excellent weather will be needed to launch the 30 million-cubic-foot helium balloon from Roswell. Early fall is generally an optimal time for such endeavors.

The entire flight will be monitored by a NASA-like Mission Control; the mission is known as Red Bull Stratos, short for stratosphere. One of the lead team members is record-holder Joe Kittinger, who was an Air Force captain when he took part in the military high-jump project.

This time, the effort is privately funded by the energy drink maker.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/26/felix-baumgartner-supersonic-skydive_n_1916615.html

Imagine...:pimp:
Red Bull won't give you wings, but if you want to skydive from space they'll foot the bill.

desynthesized to death, this man must be.....honestly that must be one awesome way to go.

And here I am trying to get a damn college degree.

**** like this makes me feel like I'm wasting my life.

And here I am trying to get a damn college degree.
**** like this makes me feel like I'm wasting my life.
yea man... what if everyone went on vacation at the same time, sounds like a great movie title
laugh.gif
im guessing that would be one massive cookout.
what if dude hops out and just floats away in space
roll.gif
that wont happen

Last edited:
My concern is when he opens the parachute, going at close to 700mph how is this parachute supposed to slow him down, I'm assuming he'd have to go through a series of chutes....hopefully he won't get tangled up, I bet that's the actual challenge.

desynthesized to death, this man must be.....honestly that must be one awesome way to go.
I've never seen desynthesized used that way, I don't even think it's a word. You probably meant desensitized.

When he does his spacejump I hope it's awesome. Dude gives no dambs.

:nerd: that dude who did it in the 60's though. Thats the real champ! :smokin
The parachute will work just fine at that speed range. Hope he doesnt black out though. The pull from the parachute at deployment will create a lot of
G's.

i wonder if if he breaks the sound barrier will it hurt. To me all i see is his neck cracking.

My concern is when he opens the parachute, going at close to 700mph how is this parachute supposed to slow him down, I'm assuming he'd have to go through a series of chutes....hopefully he won't get tangled up, I bet that's the actual challenge.
Id assume he'd slow to terminal velocity at some point in the earths atmosphere which is around 120 mph give or take.

well, at least he'll die if things go wrong. 

i guess it would be coo to be the first person to do this.

Back
Top Bottom