Sports salaries and the average working man...Vol. Why you so mad?

*No subliminal shots directed at any NT member, just something that normally comes up whenever sports are discussed...and now more than ever because of impending/possible lockouts in both the NFL and the NBA.

Can someone please break it down to me why so people many catch feelings on the topic of professional athletes and their salaries? Is it jealousy, resentment, a combination of the two? I've never had a problem with these athletes making so much money, because they all play for organizations/owners that can afford to cut those checks...and I don't normally see people criticizing owners for getting their money.

My lady is a prime example of this. Whenever we watch sports together (I know, that's my bad) she's always like "I just don't get why those guys have to get paid so much money"
eyes.gif
or something like "Shaq is getting paid millions of dollars and he can't make any free throws?" I understand as a fan being mad that sometimes players don't perform as well as you like, but the money equation is usually irrelevant so why even bring it up?

I can't be the only sports fan who could care less about the $$$

*No subliminal shots directed at any NT member, just something that normally comes up whenever sports are discussed...and now more than ever because of impending/possible lockouts in both the NFL and the NBA.

Can someone please break it down to me why so people many catch feelings on the topic of professional athletes and their salaries? Is it jealousy, resentment, a combination of the two? I've never had a problem with these athletes making so much money, because they all play for organizations/owners that can afford to cut those checks...and I don't normally see people criticizing owners for getting their money.

My lady is a prime example of this. Whenever we watch sports together (I know, that's my bad) she's always like "I just don't get why those guys have to get paid so much money"
eyes.gif
or something like "Shaq is getting paid millions of dollars and he can't make any free throws?" I understand as a fan being mad that sometimes players don't perform as well as you like, but the money equation is usually irrelevant so why even bring it up?

I can't be the only sports fan who could care less about the $$$

To the casual observer, they are playing a "game," and it's hard to process the large amounts of money that is earned for doing so. For the folks who actually follow or have played sports, we all know how difficult it is to maintain your star on the professional ranks and what it takes day in/day out to be succesful.

To the casual observer, they are playing a "game," and it's hard to process the large amounts of money that is earned for doing so. For the folks who actually follow or have played sports, we all know how difficult it is to maintain your star on the professional ranks and what it takes day in/day out to be succesful.

I could care less about the money.  I just want the games to continue.  I don't care who makes what. 

And the masses are lames.  They think athletes show up on TV for 3 hours, and get paid 500K for it and then go home and party.  They don't realize the work these people put in, or the dangers they put their bodies thru.  None of it. 

I could care less about the money.  I just want the games to continue.  I don't care who makes what. 

And the masses are lames.  They think athletes show up on TV for 3 hours, and get paid 500K for it and then go home and party.  They don't realize the work these people put in, or the dangers they put their bodies thru.  None of it. 

I agree about the casual observer, but it's just funny to me how no one ever gets upset when they hear about how Will Smith making 20 mil per movie or how Zuckerberg made billions creating Facebook.

IMO it has a LOT to do with the actual athletes and public perception/feelings about them.

I agree about the casual observer, but it's just funny to me how no one ever gets upset when they hear about how Will Smith making 20 mil per movie or how Zuckerberg made billions creating Facebook.

IMO it has a LOT to do with the actual athletes and public perception/feelings about them.

I agree it's so much work. Around the clock for 98% of the year.

Casual observers also forget it's damn near its own entity. How can we fault the players who were essentially given millions of dollars by billionaire owners. The owners set themselves up for all this.

Even in a bad economy, these owners are still some of the richest guys around and they chose to shell out the dough that set precedents so damn high and why casual observers look down on the money situation.

I agree it's so much work. Around the clock for 98% of the year.

Casual observers also forget it's damn near its own entity. How can we fault the players who were essentially given millions of dollars by billionaire owners. The owners set themselves up for all this.

Even in a bad economy, these owners are still some of the richest guys around and they chose to shell out the dough that set precedents so damn high and why casual observers look down on the money situation.

Its Jealousy.     ..There is also a lot of money being created by sports stars in various ways.

Its Jealousy.     ..There is also a lot of money being created by sports stars in various ways.

Females at my job say this stuff all the time
30t6p3b.gif
...but I feel like if the owners can make so much money off of selling tickets and merchandise than players should get paid accordingly

Females at my job say this stuff all the time
30t6p3b.gif
...but I feel like if the owners can make so much money off of selling tickets and merchandise than players should get paid accordingly

It is jealousy. Whenever I hear people complain about player salaries I always hit them with "Do you think 30,000 people would pay $100 a piece to watch you do your job?". 

It is jealousy. Whenever I hear people complain about player salaries I always hit them with "Do you think 30,000 people would pay $100 a piece to watch you do your job?". 

My homie put it in a good way. If you took the top 300 people in their respective field, they rake in dough too.

Top 300 Doctors. Top 300 Engineers. Top 300 Lawyers. Them dudes make millions too...but nobody talks about that.

Same for the Top 300 Basketball players in the world.

My homie put it in a good way. If you took the top 300 people in their respective field, they rake in dough too.

Top 300 Doctors. Top 300 Engineers. Top 300 Lawyers. Them dudes make millions too...but nobody talks about that.

don't mind how much they make. i do think it's ******ed when they go broke. but as far as paying them high salaries, it's fine with me.

as far as a lot of people who do have issue with it, they view it as a, "why aren't teachers paid more?" type of deal. they see it as what actually benefits society rather than an economics thing, which is really what it is.

don't mind how much they make. i do think it's ******ed when they go broke. but as far as paying them high salaries, it's fine with me.

as far as a lot of people who do have issue with it, they view it as a, "why aren't teachers paid more?" type of deal. they see it as what actually benefits society rather than an economics thing, which is really what it is.

Originally Posted by AG 47

thats the best one ive heard

thats what i wanted to contribute. they are the best at what they do in the entire world.
there isnt a great supply of men in this world that are 6'10'' with world class athleticism, but there is a large demand for them.

its simple economics. 

This.

On top of the fact that they generate so much money themselves.

Back
Top Bottom