Spray-on Reflector Test Photos.

from an earlier thread where i spoke about wanting to chuck reflector material on my oly vii's, it was noted that paints exist. from online searches i found both brush-on and spray-on paint. reflector needs to be even, so i picked up some spray on stuff today.

i got this stuff. before going onto any jays, i tested it on my runners.
View media item 385069i only masked quickly and sloppily. it is advertised as "semi transparent", so it didn't have to be exact. this is just one layer of spray.
View media item 385070
View media item 385071
View media item 385072here is outside without flash.
View media item 385073so much for "semi transparent". i'd only recommend doing this on white. everything else will seem a bit faded.
if you mask tiny sections or patterns, i think it would look really nice. but you need to take the time to do it properly.

nice man... im a sucker for 3m so i might test this out

where did you get the spray paint from?

mucked about on my already customed cdp xvi. took my time to mask it (the stuff still got through, it gets everywhere, my hair and arms), and held it out from the can but i don't think i did it from far enough, because the white spray stuck quite thickly. with flash it looks like i went OD on them.

View media item 386709
again, don't do this with none white shoes, unless you can spray it really finely (from a distance or quick passes).

also notes some of the stuff flaked off my runners. i'll take photos later and see if the reflector is still attached, or if it needs a good finisher on it.

Last edited:
ok, now i know what i was doing wrong. i was spraying too closely to the shoes. i stood back as i sprayed my katrina 3 customs. now it really is transparent.

this is still masked
View media item 400975
this is in light without flash
View media item 400976
and this is with flash
View media item 400977
i folded the tongue back because i didn't want it on my jumpman. i was actually hoping it would whiten my yellowed back tab. if i knew it would turn out this invisible, i might not have bothered masking anything.

the stuff on my xiv is thickly coated, and as a result is crumbling. hopefully that doesn't happen with thinner coats, but if i find it does, some finisher would work.

i'm now cautiously eyeing my 2010 flint xiii. :wink:

Last edited:
roll.gif

That bottom pic of the IIIs I really like. Right now I can't afford to play with my shoes like that but soon. By the end of the year if everything goes in my favor

flints

before. check out the reflecting stuff on the floor, which is invisible unless you are taking a flash photo. :smile:
View media item 405525
View media item 405526
after
View media item 405527
View media item 405528
View media item 405529
unmasked, no flash
View media item 405530
unmasked, flash
View media item 405531
on feet
View media item 405532
maybe i should have put an insect screen on it, so the spray could be somewhat made into squares. oh well.

also, last night i tested out my 3's by taking them out to dance in for a few hours. the reflector stayed on (despite being stepped on many times), so there is little to no need for finisher.

Last edited:
it depends on the surface and the thickness. the smoother the surface or the thicker the layer, the shorter it will last. just lacing up the olys today had chunks of the stuff falling off. I'm not sure whether it was due to the crappy plastic "leather", or the protective layer it has on top (when painting leather, you need to remove the protective layer with acetone).

either way, it's a pain in the **** since masking the VII was annoying.

i'm in the process of removing it from my xiv.

Last edited:
it depends on the surface and the thickness. the smoother the surface or the thicker the layer, the shorter it will last. just lacing up the olys today had chunks of the stuff falling off. I'm not sure whether it was due to the crappy plastic "leather", or the protective layer it has on top (when painting leather, you need to remove the protective layer with acetone).

either way, it's a pain in the **** since masking the VII was annoying.

i'm in the process of removing it from my xiv.
good to know. i would def try this spray on my  bred XIII. but i want it to look reflect like the ogs

don't hit your 13's right away, practise on some beaters first. seriously, you don't want to be applying this stuff onto black first thing. you'll cake it on and turn it gray/white. you'll need to stand well back and mist the entire shoe evenly on both sides, so you'll also need good full masking.

don't hit your 13's right away, practise on some beaters first. seriously, you don't want to be applying this stuff onto black first thing. you'll cake it on and turn it gray/white. you'll need to stand well back and mist the entire shoe evenly on both sides, so you'll also need good full masking.
mean.gif
frown.gif

Back
Top Bottom