Sprint vs. Verizon

I currently have Verizon and unfortunately I cannot 'grandfather' my unlimited data plan if I upgrade my phone. Another carrier I have been looking at is Sprint. I can get the Galaxy S3 for free, and I can continue to receive unlimited data as well. I live in Kansas City, which is the home to Sprint, so I'm hoping the data coverage is good - but I've heard some horror stories. Does anybody have Sprint and have opinions on it? Is it worth the switch?

Dont do it. Verizon is you're best bet. I had Verizon and switched to Sprint for the Iphone 5.

Where I live(Houston) Sprint has all kinds of dead spots, and with these newer 4G phones, 3G is equal to no service at all.

Last edited:
It really depends on a couple things. Where you live, how much you want to spend and how much data you use are pretty important questions.

I have VZW and I was pretty pissed when I couldn't keep my unl data as well, but I use WiFi at home and work, so I'm always below 2GB/ month. I had a Sprint employee plan before Verizon and the service really sucked. The two year contract for cell phones is ridiculous to me, but I'm pretty happy with Verizon... I guess.

Where I live in wichita, ks, sprints has been updating the lte coverage literally every month. And sprint has been aggressive about do that so check and see if sprints coverage is decent in your area because you'll be saving a boat load of money.

Dont do it. Verizon is the best carrier in the nation with the fastest speed. I dont even think sprint is running 4G yet. Buy a S3 for non contract, ive seen some go for as much as 300 only

It really does depend on what the coverage looks like in your area. I believe you get like 14 days to try it out before you can return it. I just swapped to sprint for the free galaxy s3 and lte but since I work downtown I guess the network is kinda congested.

verizon was garbage for me, i didn't have service in my room, texts lagged and calls dropped. i switched to sprint 2 years ago and never looked back since, i pick up 4g and i have good service at the beach and the truly unlimited is unlimited 
nthat.gif

i currently have no cellphone bc sprint is busting a shady move.
lazy *** employees 
mean.gif
mad.gif

Buy a phone off ebay/craigslist = grandfathered unlimited plan

^^^ This. You're going to notice a DRASTIC difference in most parts of the US in terms of speed and coverage. If you truly take advantage of your unlimited plan, then go this route. I'd analyze your bill from the last few months to see if it may be feasible to bite the bullet and get a phone at an upgraded price. Otherwise, a few extra bucks is your best bet. Good luck.

what you need to do to keep your unlimited plan is to do an alternate upgrade to a different line if you are on a family plan, then do an ESN change the next day or at a different location.

Sprint sucks for me my mom and my dummy line they actually cost more than VZW including my work discount on both,

I have Sprint and if you got LTE in your area, then I would go ahead and make the switch. If not, I wouldn't unless you don't care too much about data cause the speed is hella slow.

ive been with sprint for bout 8+ years now.

it sucks. i only stay with them because its relatively cheap (old SERO plan). my wife has been on verizon for about as long, if not longer, and her service is on point. i think once my GSIII dies, i need to just bite the bullet and move to VZW.

ive been with sprint for bout 8+ years now.

it sucks. i only stay with them because its relatively cheap (old SERO plan). my wife has been on verizon for about as long, if not longer, and her service is on point. i think once my GSIII dies, i need to just bite the bullet and move to VZW.

if yall "serious" hop on a family plan with her makes it much cheaper

Verizon>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Sprint

I'm in jersey and my friend who lives in New York has sprint. His service sucks. He's at my crib and he has 1-2 bars tops. I have verizon I have full bars

Verizon is way better. Everywhere I seemed to have service he didn't. And it's not like we out in the woods or something

I left verizon for sprint. Verizon has 4g but was expensive . Sprint doesnt have 4g here yet but is unlimited and cheaper. I dont regret it

The dead spot thing is the only thing I hate about sprint...and it's terrible in congested areas during events...I'm on wifi at work/home

the deciding factor should be the service in your area . . . and then what you can afford.

don't listen to idiots who DON'T live in and around Kansas City who blather away on their soap box about this provider is better than that provider. they don't know what they're talking about as far as Kansas City is concerned.

you don't give a damn if Sprint or VZW is better in SF or NYC or Houston or North Dakota or West Bumblefrak. NONE of that info helps you in Kansas City.

I googled "best wireless provider, Kansas City" and came up with this:

This article from June 2012 gives high marks for VZW in the KC, MO area.

This article gives reviews on cellular reception in KC, MO.

I don't know the area, but KCK and KCMO is one huge metro area, right?

This was my LTE speeds on VZW a few months ago I think...Verizon has the best coverage and speeds from what I've seen. I've had it for years now, but I'm switching whenever I decide to get a new phone. As nice coverage as they have the company itself is awful. I hate every new policy they have and they completely lock down their phones. The Note 2 fiasco was the last straw for me. Last one to put the phone out by months, slapped their branding on the front button when no other carrier did that, always late with updates if you get it at all, and stripped down on the phone's features.

If you don't care about any of that, then by all means VZW is your best bet.

View media item 281958

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom