STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

Some of my dudes need to up their comprehension, word association game up. The term 'bodybuilder' is not a title, it is a description. It describes an act. That is all. You guys are over-analyzing trying to get the word more importance than it should have. Just because you only associate the word bodybuilder with guys that get oiled up and compete does not make it a correct assessment. If you use resistance training in an effort to develop your musculature, you are by definition, a bodybuilder. It's that simple. Look it up.

You drive? You're a driver.

You hoop? You're a basketball player.

You swim? You're a swimmer.

Those are not titles. They are descriptions of activities performed. This isn't rocket science gentlemen.

I actually like this debate, not just because I'm winning, lol, but it livens this thread up during the down time. Now we're working out our brains.
bodybuilder is a title and a profession. You are either pro or amateur. Whats so hard to understand about that? Bodybuilding is to bodybuilder as racing is to racer. Just like bodybuilding, you are either a pro or amateur racer. Racing your boy in a turbo civic down a civilian street doesnt make you a racer just like lifting weighta in the gym doesnt make you a bodybuilder

ita pretty simple

So we gonna call those people fat burners right?

No, a fat burner is typically the name given to an over-the-counter product that is used to burn calories by increasing the rate of the body's metabolism. What is the person doing at the gym to burn fat if they are not lifting weights fam? Are they running? They're a runner. Swimming? Swimmer. Rock climbing wall? Climber. I'm really trying to understand why you're having such a hard time with this? It seems to only be the "bodybuilders" that have an issue with the term not meaning what they thought it meant.

Some of my dudes need to up their comprehension, word association game up. The term 'bodybuilder' is not a title, it is a description. It describes an act. That is all. You guys are over-analyzing trying to get the word more importance than it should have. Just because you only associate the word bodybuilder with guys that get oiled up and compete does not make it a correct assessment. If you use resistance training in an effort to develop your musculature, you are by definition, a bodybuilder. It's that simple. Look it up.

Those are not titles. They are descriptions of activities performed. This isn't rocket science gentlemen.

I actually like this debate, not just because I'm winning, lol, but it livens this thread up during the down time. Now we're working out our brains.
bodybuilder is a title and a profession. You are either pro or amateur. Whats so hard to understand about that? Bodybuilding is to bodybuilder as racing is to racer. Just like bodybuilding, you are either a pro or amateur racer. Racing your boy in a turbo civic down a civilian street doesnt make you a racer just like lifting weighta in the gym doesnt make you a bodybuilder

ita pretty simple

Yes it does, in both of those instances. I have a feeling you aren't actually looking up the words you're using, before you argue with them. Why don't you google 'bodybuilder definition' for me homie. Then you can tell me I'm right later. :smokin

I can agree only when the actions described are presently in action. 

If you're running, then you're a runner.

If you're playing basketball then you're a basketball player

If you're lifting weights to build your body then you're a bodybuilder and so on

All are descriptions on what the person is currently doing.

But when those actions cease, so does your description. When LeBron is sitting on the couch, he is still a basketball player because that is something he competitively engages in, trains for improvement in and receives compensation for. If you hoop in som rec leagues with refs & teams and the whole nine, work on your game to improve your performance then you're amateur basketball player. You hoop with your friends once or twice a week in a non-organized game? Then when your done, your done. You're not an amateur basketball player.

You engage in the "sport' of bodybuilding, practice posing routines and all that with the slightest aspirations of competing, or to currently compete and you're not compensated somehow, you're an amateur bodybuilder.  You go to the gym and engage in training separate body parts to look good, then you after you're with the gym, then you're just a guy who works out (nothing wrong with that obviously)

My whole point is when the activities ceases, so does the ability to call yourself whatever it is. 

Well since in here bodybuilding isn't a sport your point isn't valid
laugh.gif
Exactly why I put it in quotes ha. Didn't wanna start that back up

I can agree only when the actions described are presently in action. 

If you're running, then you're a runner.
If you're playing basketball then you're a basketball player
If you're lifting weights to build your body then you're a bodybuilder and so on
All are descriptions on what the person is currently doing.

But when those actions cease, so does your description. When LeBron is sitting on the couch, he is still a basketball player because that is something he competitively engages in, trains for improvement in and receives compensation for. If you hoop in som rec leagues with refs & teams and the whole nine, work on your game to improve your performance then you're amateur basketball player. You hoop with your friends once or twice a week in a non-organized game? Then when your done, your done. You're not an amateur basketball player.

You engage in the "sport' of bodybuilding, practice posing routines and all that with the slightest aspirations of competing, or to currently compete and you're not compensated somehow, you're an amateur bodybuilder.  You go to the gym and engage in training separate body parts to look good, then you after you're with the gym, then you're just a guy who works out (nothing wrong with that obviously)

My whole point is when the activities ceases, so does the ability to call yourself whatever it is. 

My man. I was never trying to put shade on any of my Stay/Get back in shape homies. Only trying to show by definition that the word covered a multitude of different facets. I absolutely understand bodybuilding is also a profession, and guys make their livings off of it, so when someone asks 'what do you do?' they can answer 'I body-build'. That was never the argument. I was speaking solely on the present act. Yeah, when grandma leaves the gym, when those high school kids that spent the last 2 hours huddled around the same bench, when they all walk out of the gym, they're no longer bodybuilders, since they only engaged in it for a period of time. But when they go back, they'll be bodybuilding again. The difference between them and the professional guys that can use the term continuously is that the pros never stop. Everything they do is with the intention of adding to their bodybuilding efforts, and with it being their job, it is an assumed title. The term bodybuilder is not bestowed upon you like 'knight or champion', it is taken. Professional bodybuilders choose the continuous title by making that their career.

So if you're on a date and you're talking to her,

Do you tell her you're a basketball player. Or do you tell her you're a
_____ and you play ball during your free time.

Odds are it's the latter.

It's not 'rocket science' People usually describe themselves by what they're doing for a living, to do otherwise would be kinda weird.

At the end of the day the only thing that matters is that strive to perfection. Whether it be for strength or aesthetics. You work hard and put in the effort, you're good in my book.

Carry on brethren

My man. I was never trying to put shade on any of my Stay/Get back in shape homies. Only trying to show by definition that the word covered a multitude of different facets. I absolutely understand bodybuilding is also a profession, and guys make their livings off of it, so when someone asks 'what do you do?' they can answer 'I body-build'. That was never the argument. I was speaking solely on the present act. Yeah, when grandma leaves the gym, when those high school kids that spent the last 2 hours huddled around the same bench, when they all walk out of the gym, they're no longer bodybuilders, since they only engaged in it for a period of time. But when they go back, they'll be bodybuilding again. The difference between them and the professional guys that can use the term continuously is that the pros never stop. Everything they do is with the intention of adding to their bodybuilding efforts, and with it being their job, it is an assumed title. The term bodybuilder is not bestowed upon you like 'knight or champion', it is taken. Professional bodybuilders choose the continuous title by making that their career.
Na never any shade. Right, that's what I think the confusion/debate is centered around. Not saying "don't you dare call yourself a bodybuilder, you haven't earned that right". Just when your done lifting, assuming your in the gym to "build" your body, your not a bodybuilder when your done. Not even an amateur bodybuilder. 

Man I'm having such a hard time getting to the gym now that school is back, my schedule is really over the place

I work overnights 12AM-8AM 5x a week, and I pick up my son from Pre - K at 12 PM everyday until my woman comes home at 5PM go to sleep until 10PM, go to classes Sat and Sun :x :smh:

Rinse and repeat

I'm just trying to focus on my eating (IF) since I'm not making it to the gym like that

c'mon man. it just depends if you want to take the literal stance or ascribe a deeper meaning to a word. ain't nobody mind gonna be changed by what's being typed on these pages :lol:

No, a fat burner is typically the name given to an over-the-counter product that is used to burn calories by increasing the rate of the body's metabolism. What is the person doing at the gym to burn fat if they are not lifting weights fam? Are they running? They're a runner. Swimming? Swimmer. Rock climbing wall? Climber. I'm really trying to understand why you're having such a hard time with this? It seems to only be the "bodybuilders" that have an issue with the term not meaning what they thought it meant.

Running or swimming is the act. Burning fat would be the result. Lifting weights would be the act and building the body would be the result. So if a person lifting weights is a bodybuilder then a person running would be a fat burner....

So a person going to the gym to burn fat is a fat burner and a person going to the gym to build his body is a bodybuilder :lol:

Last edited:
I just have a hard time agreeing with the idea that someone who uses resistance to increase musculature is a bodybuilder.

I just have a hard time agreeing with the idea that someone who uses resistance to increase musculature is a bodybuilder.

Look up the definition of bodybuilder then. You don't have to agree with me, I'm sure Webster has more clout.

Running or swimming is the act. Burning fat would be the result. Lifting weights would be the act and building the body would be the result. So if a person lifting weights is a bodybuilder then a person running would be a fat burner....

So a person going to the gym to burn fat is a fat burner and a person going to the gym to build his body is a bodybuilder :lol:

You understand you have to do something at the gym to burn fat, correct? Burning fat is not an action that you just do, I mean outside of metabolism, as you stated it is the byproduct of an action. You don't just say 'I'm going to burn fat' and then fat is burned. Building the body is not the result, it is the act. Building a house is an act, you're putting the bricks down, you're laying cement, you're hammering brackets, etc. The house is the result. Muscle is the result. Building is the precursor to the finished product.

You keep pointing to the textbook definition but are ignoring the fact that context plays a role in any words use. You really call yourself a bodybuilder? You tell people you are?

Everyone who lifts weights is a bodybuilder.....but not all are professional body builders. Just because we don't get paid to lift weights doesn't mean we ain't bodybuilders. We all fall in that category. Are college ball players considers basketball players even if they ain't professionals

Is he a bodybuilder?

Look up the definition of bodybuilder then. You don't have to agree with me, I'm sure Webster has more clout.

Is mark henry posted above considered a bodybuilder?

Is Kendrick Ferris a bodybuilder?

You keep pointing to the textbook definition but are ignoring the fact that context plays a role in any words use. You really call yourself a bodybuilder? You tell people you are?

Do I? No. But that doesn't change the fact that in the literal sense I am, as are you. It's essentially the same as medical doctors and those with doctorates. Both are at liberty to use the DR. prefix. It's all about the perception. When most people hear 'doctor', they think of surgeons and GP's, however anybody with a PhD is a doctor as well. They can claim it, regardless of how many feelings are caught by those in the ER. I don't claim that I am I bodybuilder, but that doesn't change the fact that when I'm in that weight room, that is exactly what I am.

Do I? No. But that doesn't change the fact that in the literal sense I am, as are you. It's essentially the same as medical doctors and those with doctorates. Both are at liberty to use the DR. prefix. It's all about the perception. When most people hear 'doctor', they think of surgeons and GP's, however anybody with a PhD is a doctor as well. They can claim it, regardless of how many feelings are caught by those in the ER. I don't claim that I am I bodybuilder, but that doesn't change the fact that when I'm in that weight room, that is exactly what I am.
Bodybuilder is a noun, per your definition. You're engaging in bodybuilding when you're lifting, but to say one minute you're a bodybuilder, and when you walk out, you are not, seems kind of stupid to me.

I'm all for discussions, but all of you can agree that this is redundant as hell.

I'd rather read a protein, or preworkout discussion lol.

Back
Top Bottom