STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

Finally got my gym membership, gonna start tmr for the first time 🙌

Just curious, how much do y’all pay per month to use the gym? Idk if it’s more expensive where I live just based on location for if it’s average ($40 down payment, $20 a month plus $40 club fee every year)

It depends on the overall club like if it’s Lifetime, LA, Planet Fitness. I think Lifetime was like $100-$110/month in MN, but you get access to 4-6 nearby LT clubs , but haven’t been a member since I got a treadmill (though I miss the weight room/steam room).

If you’re a USAA member, you can also sign up for Active and Fit. This perk allows you to pay one fee ($28 starting April 1st I think) per month plus a one time sign up fee of like $50 and you get access to multiple gyms. As long as they’re apart of the program, you can go. Right now I’m stationed in Texas and go to Crunch, Golds Gym and another one called Tru Fit and only pay $28 per month.

Yeah look for Active and Fit or similar through your work, bank, health insurance etc. Had Onelife for 40 a month but switched to A&F for 28 now, for a Gold's and an LA Fitness.

Just curious, how much do y’all pay per month to use the gym? Idk if it’s more expensive where I live just based on location for if it’s average ($40 down payment, $20 a month plus $40 club fee every year)
To me $40 is fair.. esp if it’s 24/7, has a locker room and in a convenient location.

My place of employment has a gym which takes $10 out of my check per month.. the gym I use on holidays and off days is $40 and a complete dump but convenient because it’s literally a 1 minute drive from my house

I can go to the local mom and pop gym for about $360 a year. Definitely not bad when I hear what others are paying. Really if you have the space, investing in a home gym is worth it. It'll pay for itself in a few years. I had one when I was living in a bigger house. The only problem is it's easy to sometimes be lazy when you're at home.

Active and Fit is a great deal, totally get on that if y’all can and they serve your needs. It gets me access to like 3 different gyms within a 3 mile radius and let’s me hit up gyms when I travel.

If you’re a USAA member, you can also sign up for Active and Fit. This perk allows you to pay one fee ($28 starting April 1st I think) per month plus a one time sign up fee of like $50 and you get access to multiple gyms. As long as they’re apart of the program, you can go. Right now I’m stationed in Texas and go to Crunch, Golds Gym and another one called Tru Fit and only pay $28 per month.

^This guys knows.

Our home gym stopped doing A&F but I still keep it as a backup and for TDYs.

I pay 44/45? a month for my main gym and 25 for Active & Fit. I can also go to any DoD gym for free.

I only use the free weights, machines, and cardio equipment. It has a sauna and stuff but I never use that.

finally decided to just go in on a percussion massager…from initial impressions adding to the already crowded gym bag/repertoire seems it’s going to be like a must have 😎😮‍💨

Has anyone use an online trainer/coach? I need some help losing pounds. I’ve never been good with diet/food choices so I really need someone to help with that. Also, I’m getting older and can’t workout like I used to an need some help finding exercises.

Any recommendations?

Has anyone use an online trainer/coach? I need some help losing pounds. I’ve never been good with diet/food choices so I really need someone to help with that. Also, I’m getting older and can’t workout like I used to an need some help finding exercises.

Any recommendations?

Here you go. I believe he offers coaching but I’m not sure. I just used to read his blogs when I got bored at work. Straight to the point without all the bull, crash diets, etc.

Any recommendations?

can’t really put you on to online coaching but i always suggest folks to try to start with some calorie tracking of their typical intake for a period of time to get an idea of what they are actually consuming…

it really helps with awareness, buy a decent scale, download an app like my fitness pal or cronometer to input foods do that for a week or 2, it will give you info to start with so you can decide what you might substitute, keep, and/or change; it will also make the activity part a bit easier if you are fueling yourself decently

Last edited:

Any recommendations?
Lui Marco and Chris jones are 2 people I’d trust. Been following/watching them for years
I think Lui is the less expensive of the 2

I’ve been on Chris Jones bro split since I started lifting again in December

When it comes to lifting and getting older, I'd recommend doing some basic compound lifts and just use light weight. Focus on perfect form. That does not mean your workouts should be easy. Those last few reps should be a bit challenging.

If you've suffered some serious injuries with a shoulder or back, it might be better to start using machines. Of course you can get hurt on machines too, but like with free weights, focus on using the right weight and doing the lifts properly.

I've seen so many injuries in gyms that could have been avoided if people would just do the lifts properly and not let ego get in the way.

finally decided to just go in on a percussion massager…from initial impressions adding to the already crowded gym bag/repertoire seems it’s going to be like a must have 😎😮‍💨

I don't take mine with me to the gym, I leave it in my room.
whoa.png

I also don't usually stretch or use the percussion gun on a regular basis, so there's that.
patrice.png

I’ve had Brooks, felt like after they were worn in after a month or so the fabric on top didn’t support my feet if that makes sense.

I’ve had Brooks, felt like after they were worn in after a month or so the fabric on top didn’t support my feet if that makes sense.

The upper on the Brooks i have (Adrenaline i believe) look very similar to those Hoka.

I like the fact that there's some 'freedom' in the toebox/instep but I guess everyone has their preferences.

I don't take mine with me to the gym, I leave it in my room.
whoa.png

I also don't usually stretch or use the percussion gun on a regular basis, so there's that.
patrice.png

how often/when do you use the percussion gun then? took it to the gym this morning & it didn’t really have the same effect/impact…i was already warmed up by the time i did actually think to use it, so it could have been that but i then used it again right after finishing my session & again not much of an effect…may not be that useful after all in those use cases.

still going to bring it along for the next couple gym trips, see if it can be/when/where it is effective

Back
Top Bottom